Linn Helpdesk — Experts in Fobbing You Off

16 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

I have never had to pay up front 

Nor have I, nor would I. 
i don’t mind a reasonable deposit, but paying in full upfront is not something I’d do. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have never had to pay up front 

Whenever I've needed service involving Linn, I've always worked directly with the dealers. They deal with HQ and as dealers, they probably get a better response. When I had the problem with my Akubari

@Quasimodo I think your problem needs to be solved by the dealer who sold you your kit. I somewhat understand the search issue, however I’m not sure if it’s something to grind your teeth about. I

5 hours ago, Solanum said:

Sheesh, wish that was the case here!

Me too. Here in NZ, adding a 5% surcharge for credit card payment is very common. 

Some retailers even add 2% if you pay using contactless because the banks charge them that. 

’Troll is quite right.  It is illegal in Great Britain to add a surcharge for use of a consumer credit card, debit card or similar electronic payment means.  Of course in practice this simply means that sellers incorporate the costs they incur in accepting those payments into the prices they charge.  Sadly there is no free lunch...

• Like 1

I do empathise with the original poster and hopefully he can achieve some kind of resolution soon.

I ordered my Linn MDSM4 &  140 speakers  just before Christmas and was asked to pay a 10% deposit by dealer. Lead times I was told was 8 week's and given that it was near Christmas and Scotland was about to go back into lockdown, I thought that was reasonable. To my pleasant surprise both items were delivered to my dealer within 4 weeks, the only thing perhaps irregular was that due to social distancing rules, I had to set up the dsm and speakers myself ( no big deal and the dealer was at the other end of the phone if need be).

Although I personally did not have direct correspondence with Linn, they themselves are perhaps dealing with the effects on their business by the working restrictions imposed on them by the Scottish government and perhaps a little by global supply problems due to the pandemic. Therefore, perhaps Linn should be more proactive in communicating with their customers and dealers regarding any issues they are having. In the current climate, I don't think anyone would judge them too harshly if that was the case.

Edited by d88
2 hours ago, Mark57 said:

’Troll is quite right.  It is illegal in Great Britain to add a surcharge for use of a consumer credit card, debit card or similar electronic payment means.  Of course in practice this simply means that sellers incorporate the costs they incur in accepting those payments into the prices they charge.  Sadly there is no free lunch...

But these days businesses are charged even more for depositing cheques - what are they again? I’ve not seen one for at least a year! - and cash is even costlier.  Banking and payment services is really no different to any other business overhead these days.  

Cash might appeal to an antique dealer, as that may be the custom, but surely not a modern audio dealer.  

Wasn’t the surcharge ban a EU thing?  I can’t remember!

17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Wasn’t the surcharge ban a EU thing?

I would assume so, predating Brexit. 

‘troll

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

I would assume so, predating Brexit. 

‘troll

Ah well, maybe now the UK is free of all that EU regulation rubbish, maybe surcharges can be brought back! :D

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Solanum said:

Ah well, maybe now the UK is free of all that EU regulation rubbish, maybe surcharges can be brought back! :D

Hush, now!

• Haha 1
On 17/04/2021 at 14:53, Moomintroll said:

It’s just occurred to me that Linn may very well make a distinction between “repair” and “service”. I can easily see them saying that, for example, if a component had blown and damaged the tracks/board, then they wouldn’t “repair” that but would “service” by replacing the board. Just a thought.

’troll

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, because Linn do not take in repairs directly from end users, but only via their dealer networks. They certainly still repair all DS and DSM products, subject to some T&C’s around abuse, condition, damage etc.

• Like 2

About classical music and Linn: yes, they've been disregarding a lot of functional requirements for a decent classical music experience. 

If you use Minimserver, you can choose the composer from a list, right? I never use the search function for that, I just find it in the lists. But that is something that minim server does, and not Linn. Kazoo and the app just ignore composer (and conductor) in searches and display. 

Yes, Roon does a lot better for that. Given that fact that it is Roons specialty, and they can make a living of it, I cannot blame Linn for not dealing with that in so much detail. 

But support for more tags than just the pop song algorithm (title / artist / album) would be appreciated. That goes for many other brands as well though (bluOs anyone?).