Luxman from Japan (ebay)

Hey,

I am thinking about buying a Luxman 505 ux II from Japan on ebay. Does anyone have experience of purchasing an intergrated amplifier like that? Good/bad experience?

Thanks,

Adam

You'd have to pay duty, VAT and fees which add say 27% or so.,plus it's likely to be a 100V unit, so you'd need a good step down transformer for use in UK. Plus any warranty would involve shipping back to Japan. I'd just go and do a deal,with a reputable UK dealer, were I you.

Edited by simon g
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Nintronics often have ex-demo Luxman and they are a great dealer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with Simon

BIG NO NO! harder to shift later on too. There is one on the bay now and has been for months. Look for a decent used uk  507mk2, much better and at the right price, easy to sell on too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, simon g said:

You'd have to pay duty, VAT and fees which add say 27% or so.,plus it's likely to be a 100V unit, so you'd need a good step down transformer for use in UK. Plus any warranty would involve shipping back to Japan. I'd just go and do a deal,with a reputable UK dealer, were I you.

agreed 100% you will have no backup . 505ux11 regularly come up , elite audio will no doubt do you a good deal if you haggle 

27 minutes ago, enrae8 said:

Blimey, @deggie that mk1 you had off me was too cheap lol

• Like 1

Yes but its a mk1...:D...........................but as we know  ......no difference that you can hear..........its playing lovely too.

• Like 1
On 15/04/2021 at 16:59, radiant red said:

Agree with Simon

BIG NO NO! harder to shift later on too. There is one on the bay now and has been for months. Look for a decent used uk  507mk2, much better and at the right price, easy to sell on too.

Yes, that one’s been on eBay for ages!

Thank you all for the the info, I skip ebay then! I live in the EU, so I cannot buy easily from the UK anymore :( I heard and loved the 505. Have no experience with 507, but  wanted to listen it, just covid happened and the shops closed. Also I am not sure if I really need its power, as I would pair the amp with 2,5 ways foorstanders and would not use it above 24 sqm. 

Perhaps it is just me but I would be looking at the classic valve amps from the 70s - the stereo valve amp I think was called 60 Custom /Classic and the MB3045 monoblocks .. both of these put all the Luxman transistor amps to shame.  These tube amps were designed by the late great Tim De Paravacini who was employed for some years by Luxman.

As such if I was looking for a new amp I would be tempted to at least compare anything you fancy buying against EAR amps .. and second hand I would be more than happy to have either of the above in my system.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, kukulec said:

Thank you all for the the info, I skip ebay then! I live in the EU, so I cannot buy easily from the UK anymore :( I heard and loved the 505. Have no experience with 507, but  wanted to listen it, just covid happened and the shops closed. Also I am not sure if I really need its power, as I would pair the amp with 2,5 ways foorstanders and would not use it above 24 sqm. 

Is it for your Elac speakers, because I’d have thought they might not reveal the subtlety from an amp as refined as the Luxman?

8 hours ago, uzzy said:

Perhaps it is just me but I would be looking at the classic valve amps from the 70s - the stereo valve amp I think was called 60 Custom /Classic and the MB3045 monoblocks .. both of these put all the Luxman transistor amps to shame.  These tube amps were designed by the late great Tim De Paravacini who was employed for some years by Luxman.

As such if I was looking for a new amp I would be tempted to at least compare anything you fancy buying against EAR amps .. and second hand I would be more than happy to have either of the above in my system.

I appretiate your suggestion, but I am not really into valve amps. I can believe they would be a few percent better, altough I had a very instructive lesson with an old Focal Utopia pairing with an Audio Analogue velve pre and power amp then with my i22 (cabling + dac were very good). The velve was a bit more airy and riche, but really not much of a difference. However in bass, it could not regulate the speakers, while the little Primare did a pretty decent job. So I can imagine a better amp than Luxman 505, but cannot imagine a situation where it would be put to shame. I also heard a direct comparison between 505 and a stronger Mastersound velve amp. I prefered the 505 (with Elac Vela 407).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Is it for your Elac speakers, because I’d have thought they might not reveal the subtlety from an amp as refined as the Luxman?

Currently I only have the 147. Even those speakers can benefit from better amplification (heard them with i32), sound like more expensive speakers. This gave me the idea, that I could buy a better amplifier. After your suggestions, maybe I just save up for a 507. The price is between 5-6.000 euros (god :shock:), so perhaps I should go first for an Elac 4 series (used 407 round 2k, Vela 3k). The 505 ux II would be around 4k.

45 minutes ago, kukulec said:

Currently I only have the 147. Even those speakers can benefit from better amplification (heard them with i32), sound like more expensive speakers. This gave me the idea, that I could buy a better amplifier. After your suggestions, maybe I just save up for a 507. The price is between 5-6.000 euros (god :shock:), so perhaps I should go first for an Elac 4 series (used 407 round 2k, Vela 3k). The 505 ux II would be around 4k.

I guess you’d have to try them, if possible.  Definitely the case in my experience that more modest speakers can sound amazing with a great amp.  But sometimes, you can’t appreciate a great amp without better speakers.  It’s a difficult call!

The Elacs I’ve heard are very beguiling, including the FS407 I think it was, which I was close to buying some years ago.  They’d be a great used buy, I’m sure.  

• Like 1