Dinky tuner has wowed, really needs a recap but for £50 on flea bay it’s stunning. Really deserves its rep.

5B5A443D-87BA-4754-ADBA-E8C2FEEF514E.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Frizbriz said:

Dinky tuner has wowed, really needs a recap but for £50 on flea bay it’s stunning. Really deserves its rep.

5B5A443D-87BA-4754-ADBA-E8C2FEEF514E.jpeg

I’ve just found it on your rack lol. That and the 504 are great tuners

I still have my 101,103 & 104 I bought in the early 80's the 104 is indeed very good but I still prefer  my Leak Troughline Stereo modified by EAR with Tim  de Paravicini stereo decoder that Len Gregory  persueded Tim to make for me lomg after he stopped selling them.

The tdp tuner is one of those rocking horse poo rare ones.never heard unfortunately. I’ve had a few tuners, accuphase t1000 and magnum 106t old faves, over years.  it’s def up with the best, will know more after it’s had a service and recap. £175 by a well regarded meridian engineer, so not a fortune.

I should have stuck a arrow on tuner it’s smaller than most of the power supplies. And light on tuner duff so it looks like the a shadow next to phono power supply.

every now and then it really surprises with radio 2 and the way it reveals old pop songs in a new light.

• Like 1

I had a tdp decoder grafted into a good Kenwood analog tuner. It was good, but I feel that the sound degraded as it moved away from the mono. This is due to the interesting way it worked, with the sound of the decoder chip more obvious the more it did.

The decoder was designed to work with Leak Troughline valve tuner though there were no valves in the audio output the TDP has valves on one channel and op amps for the other as I understand it. I have been searching for a description TDP wrote himself...  I remember in that piece by TDP Ithink for Hi Fi World he said that without op amps it would require a lot more valves.image.thumb.png.335e1d5d6a73bd0575208377dc925c5f.png

Edited by John (big)
add file/photo

One of the best sounding (though not the best for looks) is a Sugden T48  sounds excellent when fed a decent signal. It looks very simple and not that impressive but the music it lets through is wonderful .

Such a shame fm is not better served.I’ve recently been playing with dab routed thru dac,,and adding another switch to tweak the internet signal.

the worst is dab, even with a good dac it sounded brittle and dull.

The  cheap second switch helped server adding a musical twist, subtle but worthwhile. Radio 6 has become half decent.

but in end any of four tuners and internet was beaten out of sight by meridian. Bit bass light, but lower mids on up its captivating.

I do like the old analogue tuners. The best ones I have had are Meridian 504, Naim NAT01 (by some distance the best I have owned), old Arcam Delta and Hitachi FT4500 ( I have a 5500, but for some reason the 4500 sounds better). Not owned a 104, but have owned most of the other Merdians of that series. 

40 minutes ago, Frizbriz said:

Such a shame fm is not better served.I’ve recently been playing with dab routed thru dac,,and adding another switch to tweak the internet signal.

the worst is dab, even with a good dac it sounded brittle and dull.

The  cheap second switch helped server adding a musical twist, subtle but worthwhile. Radio 6 has become half decent.

but in end any of four tuners and internet was beaten out of sight by meridian. Bit bass light, but lower mids on up its captivating.

At the risk of starting yet another Mr Punch like, yes it does no it doesen't swarm of posts. I found replacing the original din plug lead for a quality din plug to phono lead improved the bass no end. Last year I  bought off the Bay a set of quality 101.103,104 din leads including din to in line phono sockets for the TT, this  at a price that I would have struggled to match if I made them myself so why bother. tried the 103 with my OTA Quad 57's needs re cap. The  104 sounds great as did the 101 first type pre.