Jump to content

Uptone EtherRegen experiences? Used a clock input?


Fourlegs
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote


On 18/04/2021 at 06:43, Psilonaught said:

What clock are you using.

It is an SOtM clock.

Edited by Duckworp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2021 at 12:31, bencat said:

What router do you have that you can fit the second sfp too ? My current router has not sfp socket so in my case i presume i will need a box that fits between the router with RJ45 connection then offers an SFP output to the Cisco Switch ?

I take Ethernet out of the router to a Cisco 2960 switch sited next to it, in a room away from any Hi-Fi. From there via an SFP input in the Cisco it takes optical to the ER.  I have two systems employing an ER and was running the second system from a second local 2960 switch using the optical socket to deliver to the ER locally.  However I have just bought a more recent Cisco 2960 C series switch (they are not much more than the old model) which has two optical inputs and replaces the old Cisco next to the router. So now I can connect both ERs directly back to this single Cisco via two lengths of  optical cable and four SFP modules. Hope that makes sense.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2021 at 12:31, bencat said:

What router do you have that you can fit the second sfp too ? My current router has not sfp socket so in my case i presume i will need a box that fits between the router with RJ45 connection then offers an SFP output to the Cisco Switch ?

I used a Ubiquity Edge Router X-SFP. If you have BT/Openreach you just use an old BT Openreach ADSL modem (£20 or so used) or put your ISP router into modem only mode. It doesn't have WiFi built in, so you might need to add a wireless access point.

Sound with fibre in the networking chain was different, but I didn't prefer it overall. Results may depend on the specific SFP transceivers used, but I didn't fancy getting into "transceiver rolling".

Edited by Heckyman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/04/2021 at 11:18, Heckyman said:

Sound with fibre in the networking chain was different, but I didn't prefer it overall. Results may depend on the specific SFP transceivers used, but I didn't fancy getting into "transceiver rolling".

'Different' in what way for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

'Different' in what way for you?

Slightly clearer but less involving over the long term. I tried it on a couple of different occasions and wasn't motivated to experiment further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/04/2021 at 03:48, Duckworp said:

I take Ethernet out of the router to a Cisco 2960 switch sited next to it, in a room away from any Hi-Fi. From there via an SFP input in the Cisco it takes optical to the ER.  I have two systems employing an ER and was running the second system from a second local 2960 switch using the optical socket to deliver to the ER locally.  However I have just bought a more recent Cisco 2960 C series switch (they are not much more than the old model) which has two optical inputs and replaces the old Cisco next to the router. So now I can connect both ERs directly back to this single Cisco via two lengths of  optical cable and four SFP modules. Hope that makes sense.  
 

Look what just arrived from Germany for me to do what you have . . .

A2B4084E-5384-4CD5-8D51-3405FB472186.thumb.jpeg.cddfe3a0ebc7228c47125d1b39888f18.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just a little bit of an update. I ordered some clocks from the seller on Alibaba and through a bit of a mix up I ordered a 50ohn model and then later bought the correct 75ohm model. I have been rather busy recently and so have yet to plug either in.

One point to note is that the listing shows a photo of the outputs with the left hand one being square wave and the right two being sine wave. The ones that arrived do not have any indication of what they are but the seller has confirmed to me that they are all square wave outlets.

Also, the seller has confirmed to me that there is no circuit difference between the 50 and 75 ohm models so I plan to swop the 50 ohm outlets and replace them with 75 ohm ones.

2051420655_Screenshot2021-06-03at08_22_51.thumb.png.354cb324e94a26b64b88e090573c2e03.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/04/2021 at 07:51, Psilonaught said:

I have to say the ethernet debate is an example of why it feels, to me at least, like the digital front end area of system building is so daunting, with a lot of apparent ways to waste money. 

I prefer to spend money wisely, although some may question my wisdom...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...