Room treatment.. what about a rug?

Yesterday I visited the audio shop where I got my Klipsch Heresy’s from. And it occured to me that they sounded a lot letter over there than in my home. Of course they have different hifi components but it wasn’t even that expensive of a setup I believe. What I do believe is that the speaker placement and the room treatment was key.

Now, I won’t go as far as to rebuild my entire livingroom (it’s not worth a divorse :-)) but there could be small changes I can make of course. Such as a new couch or a really thick rug. Would those be enough to notice a SQ improvement?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you are prepared to post a picture of your room and the dimensions that would help us get a better idea for suggestions.

Typically a good sized rug would help dampen liveliness in the room.  Thinner rugs can be bolstered with underlay, so a costly thick rug is not essential.

If you clap your hands currently in your room do you get an echo? - this is usually a good sign that some damping would be beneficial.

Try and use what you have around the house currently to give you an idea of the differences - mattresses, duvets, blankets or cushions temporarily placed is a good way to start experimenting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

What type of flooring do you have? If veneer or tiles then I would certainly try a rug in between the speakers and where you listen. Yes the clap test is an easy way to see if you have an echoey room.

Speaker placement can make quite a difference also.

Solid wood floors in a listening room is not good for sound quality at all, wall to wall decent thickness piled carpet is far better, I actually have a couple of shag pile rugs on top of carpet which is even better and gives good reflection damping, asymmetric positioning of furniture helps to break up low frequency standing waves. If there are a lot of flutter echoes when doing the clap test then some absorptive wall hangings would help too. Large areas of glass are not good either, draw curtains across windows, avoid hanging large wall mirrors, they reflect sound as much as they do light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

My listening room echoed like a church, so I added a 3m X 4 m rug and it really dampened down the room.

Definitely recommended.

IMG_20210122_213404_resize_59_compress37.thumb.jpg.436b7e4f2ec1c0e31f8c8cf01b7509c9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Yes, any soft furnishings will help, especially if the flooring is a hard surface.  I remember how bright our new living room sounded a few years ago until the curtains were up, even though we had fitted carpets from early on, and new plasterboard absorbs a bit. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the tips! I’ll play around with blankets before shelling out big time for a new carpet or rug. 

I can post some photos later on of my situation. I have a hardwood floor anyway.

All sound advice. Pun intended. But are you sure divorce and full acoustic treatment wouldn't be better?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
39 minutes ago, insider9 said:

All sound advice. Pun intended. But are you sure divorce and full acoustic treatment wouldn't be better?

Lol xD

• Like 1

Any kind of sonically absorbent furnishings will help. Try also curtains/wall hangings. I see you've got a rug between the speakers - does it make a difference if you turn it thru 90 deg so that each speaker has some rug right in front of it? I read that LPs stored with their spines facing outwards can also be good at diffusing sound reflections - you could try similar with books or magazines, put the shelves at the back behind your listening position.

• Upvote 1

You have wood floors so you'll definitely benefit from a big rug or carpet.  I suggest you keep the speakers standing on your wood floors but place the rug in front of the speakers.  Like the suggestion addressed to Psilonaught, I'd agree that turrning his rug 90 degrees would benefit the sound although in his case, the staircase may prevent this.  Do you use spikes or some other type of feet or platform?  This can make a significant change too, particularly the bass.

I have about 30% of my large room carpeted and this has reduced echo to nil, dispite my acres of floor-to-ceiling glazing and mirrors!

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Ceko said:

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the tips! I’ll play around with blankets before shelling out big time for a new carpet or rug. 

I can post some photos later on of my situation. I have a hardwood floor anyway.

try hanging some blankets on the side walls too and see what affect it has - if it improves things buy a nice tapestry or three to hang on them after

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I was trying to get a picture on here with my phone but it turns out the files are too large.. so I can’t post a picture.. anyway as I described, a hard wood floor (with empty basement), a couch with a tiny rug underneath and directly behind the couch is a kitchen with large laquered surfaces :-(

I wish I had a large movable roomdevider or something to put behind me.

Anyways, I’ve played a round with the speakers a littlebit today. Put them on an other spot, put a rug underneath and it appears to me that speaker placement is most important. If I place them in a certain way the music seems to start being holographic, as if it floats around you. Very beautiful.

Thanks again for all the tips, I’m certainly having fun in and around the house with this!

9 hours ago, Ceko said:

Well I was trying to get a picture on here with my phone but it turns out the files are too large.. so I can’t post a picture.. anyway as I described, a hard wood floor (with empty basement), a couch with a tiny rug underneath and directly behind the couch is a kitchen with large laquered surfaces :-(

I wish I had a large movable roomdevider or something to put behind me.

Anyways, I’ve played a round with the speakers a littlebit today. Put them on an other spot, put a rug underneath and it appears to me that speaker placement is most important. If I place them in a certain way the music seems to start being holographic, as if it floats around you. Very beautiful.

Thanks again for all the tips, I’m certainly having fun in and around the house with this!

Speaker placement is crucial, and it's worth spending a lot of time adjusting them. Keep notes of where they are, so it's easy to go back to a position you already tried.

ATC & Dynaudio have very good (long) YT videos about this, applicable to any moving coil speakers. The Danish one is unintentially very funny at times. It amazes me that audiophiles love talking about equipment, but many neglect room acoustics.

If you open your pictuers in "paint", you can easily reduce the file size.

• Like 1