Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I finally have my Katan speakers Aktiv using 2 LK140 amps. Current speaker wire is K20 along with some Gear IT Pro 12 AWG I picked up from Amazon. Wanted to tidy up the speaker cables with 4 terminations on each end. Does Linn still make speaker cable, I did not see any on their site such as K40 bi-wire. I did look at Blue jeans Cable, the Canare 4S11. Anyone using non Linn speaker cable? 

Edited by HDMan72
Link to post
Share on other sites

A buddy of mine just got my keilidhs and my av5105 amp and a mdsm/3. He was using audio quest bi-wire cables but kept complaining that there’s no bass. We switched to the k20 which I feel is inferior to the k400 (only available used) and the bass was back. He was shocked how a speaker cable could make such a huge difference.

Is look on the websites for a pair of used linn k400 cables


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HDMan72 said:

I finally have my Katan speakers Aktiv using 2 LK140 amps. Current speaker wire is K20 along with some Gear IT Pro 12 AWG I picked up from Amazon. Wanted to tidy up the speaker cables with 4 terminations on each end. Does Linn still make speaker cable, I did not see any on their site such as K40 bi-wire. I did look at Blue jeans Cable, the Canare 4S11. Anyone using non Linn speaker cable? 

Yes. Linn has still speaker cables in their product portfolio.

https://www.linn.co.uk/speakers/accessories

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zee9 said:

A buddy of mine just got my keilidhs and my av5105 amp and a mdsm/3. He was using audio quest bi-wire cables but kept complaining that there’s no bass. We switched to the k20 which I feel is inferior to the k400 (only available used) and the bass was back. He was shocked how a speaker cable could make such a huge difference.

Is look on the websites for a pair of used linn k400 cables


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I'm on some right now. Will see how it goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HDMan72 said:

Canare 4S11.

Although I’d stick with Linn cables for Linn kit, the Canare 4S11 are very good cables, especially if you have concerns about RFI/EMI. In fact everything I have used baring the Canare moniker has been first class, 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, zee9 said:

A buddy of mine just got my keilidhs and my av5105 amp and a mdsm/3. He was using audio quest bi-wire cables but kept complaining that there’s no bass. We switched to the k20 which I feel is inferior to the k400 (only available used) and the bass was back. He was shocked how a speaker cable could make such a huge difference.

Is look on the websites for a pair of used linn k400 cables


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I ‘downgraded’ all off my systems to Linn K400 and I’m a very happy man.

I was using more expensive Chord Co stuff which was great in my previous Arcam - Marantz setups. Great detail lift in warm systems...

But, you just get a certain synergy with all Linn that really just works. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rich9600 said:

But, you just get a certain synergy with all Linn that really just works. 

Worth remembering that every product is developed and auditioned in a system using all Linn kit and wires, before being signed off. Using anything else is likely to produce a result not intended by the developers. Nothing wrong with that, of course, as long as it’s recognised.

’troll

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just purchased a 6' pair of K400 and looking forward to adding it by reading all your comments. Thanks

Edited by HDMan72
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like it with your aktiv system, you’ve then got the option of splitting it down the middle into four lengths of “K200”, which many consider an improvement.

’troll

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
If you like it with your aktiv system, you’ve then got the option of splitting it down the middle into four lengths of “K200”, which many consider an improvement.
’troll

How does the splitting help? Just curious. Isn’t it easier to manage when it remains a k400 for activ. I have 2 k400’s and one k200 for my aktiv 242’s


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

If you like it with your aktiv system, you’ve then got the option of splitting it down the middle into four lengths of “K200”, which many consider an improvement.

’troll

Interesting O.o

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, zee9 said:


How does the splitting help? Just curious. Isn’t it easier to manage when it remains a k400 for activ. I have 2 k400’s and one k200 for my aktiv 242’s


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

This was a frequent discussion on the Linn forum

Cutting the K400 down the middle to create 2 K200 was routinely done to reduce the EMI interference from each side of the K400 speaker cable, and to physically separate the K200 from each other.

Philbo recommended to use a bandsaw, as cutting with shears or a knife could result in injury.

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Philbo recommended to use a bandsaw, as cutting with shears or a knife could result in injury.

Whereas a bandsaw is a much safer proposition. xD

‘troll

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Cutting the K400 down the middle to create 2 K200 was routinely done to reduce the EMI interference from each side of the K400 speaker cable, and to physically separate the K200 from each other.

I'm not convinced about this bringing about a reduction in EMI at all. The physical spacer between the pairs is pretty substantial. I separated  a length of K400 in order to feed the three channels to each pf my Keilidhs  - and still use it. At the time I had a listen to my Katans powered by1 x  K400 and 2 x split K400 and couldn't determine any difference at all (my expectation bias must have followed a null hypothesis of no change)!

Cutting it is fun -  and I can see why a bandsaw was recommended - it is actually a sensible option. I tried shears and gave up - resorting to a Dremel and cutting wheel. This was a little better - but you do have to watch the heat. Bandsaw or scrollsaw would be my choice today.

I'm a big fan of the K400 though - I have it in all the rooms here. It's an eBay bargain compared to many cable options.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanley knives here are a definite no-no! Spent 5 hours in A&E some years ago after almost severing a tendon trying to split K400 by drawing it along a fixed knife blade. Nice stitch work from the medic though! Now banned from any audio DIY involving such blades. :D

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...