Turntable itch – should I scratch it?

trumpetman

Why not go for the best of both worlds; say a Technics 1210GR / Rega P8 etc to play and a Lenco GL-75 to play with ?

That's what I'd do :)

There is a decent chance those recommending rega and sme arms have never heard a funk F5. Having compared all 3 directly I think you'd be disappointed. Not because the sme is a bad arm, but because the F5 is far better than they appreciate. It's also very easy to set up including vta. 

If you are looking for a project then there is a lot of support available for gl75 customisation. My first tt was a gl75 and if I ever were in a position to have a 2nd tt have a nostalgic yearning. Depends on your tastes, but your LSD had the best rumble figures I have seen measured in a German review. The gl75 doesn't measure so well. 

If you are determined on something else you can  do a lot to a Pink Triangle original (I have done so ) . Pretty obviously I think the results very good. Take a look at the pink triangle owner forum for a recent convert 

There is scope for modifying your LSD. I would be aware of the possibilities because it could punch heavy for modest outlay well within your budget 

Edited by Pinkie
Awful English

Thanks for all the responses so far - you have got me thinking and Googling which is a very positive thing.

Pinkie you have a pm

Cheers

59 minutes ago, trumpetman said:

Thanks for all the responses so far - you have got me thinking and Googling which is a very positive thing.

Pinkie you have a pm

Cheers

And I have duly replied :)

Have to reply. I have a 25 year old Gyrodec ( serviced four times by Mitchell, last time two years ago) with an Orb platter, new DC motor. So first. If you can get a Gyrodec - buy it. Get it serviced. Fall in love. Second. I had a Technoarm fitted by Mitchell and I was very happy. Now I have an Origin Live Conquerer- very expensive £3500 with lead but I am also old and now in seventh heaven.  My vg SACD Player ( KI Sig) and Melco rarely get a look in. Sound is simply stunning.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 12:42, Pinkie said:

There is a decent chance those recommending rega

Personal view is most people tend to recommend what they have and are convinced themselves that what they have sounds best.  They therefore seek to be in a club or group that likes the same things to reinforce their beliefs. 

We all have our ideas of what sounds right but I often wonder how many doubt what they have when what they have is not of the "norm" and someone disses it.

I used to sell the stuff for a number of years .. I chose what I have through trusting my ears to have what they like to hear.  So many buy with their eyes (I would have bought an Oracle if i had thought it sounded better than what I did buy .. and my god it is a thing to look at.

I hear all the arguments and discussions and the claims made by many .. but my personal view is when you get over a certain level or price point in general the differences are one of presentation.  Just as we do not all like the same loudspeakers. similarly the same is true of arm cartridge combinations and the turntable.

For 20 years I have had an itch for a new power amp but every time I try one (and I have tried quite a few) I have yet to slot one in the system that makes me go "wow" the last time that feeling happened to me was 19 years ago when I home demmed my Art Impressions.  All I have done since starting my itch for an amp was to buy two more of my current amp so that I know I have enough spares to keep at least one going until I finally slot that amp in my system that makes me go "wow" 

For me my new vinyl purchases are rare now as the quality of digital recording and CDs can be just as stunning .. but having said that my 25 year old lad is a die hard vinyl lover and gets all his music on vinyl.   So he keeps my love of turntables alive as we sit together to listen to music from time to time and when I am gone I know he will be using my turntable and listening to our LPs (his and mine),

All I would say to people is trust your ears when it comes to buying a turntable - and unless you are going to spend a couple of grand on an arm and a grand upwards on a cartridge (ok less if you go second hand on the arm) then is it really worthwhile upgrading the turntable from something like a Systemdek IIx or any other quality turntable you may own (be it a Goldring, Garrard, Gyro, Linn etc etc).  For many it seems the music comes second .. the number of houses where i have installed a turntable of vast cost only to find they have less than 25 LPs (and that was in the days before CD).  Perhaps there is a snob value to hifi as well?   As for me there is nothing i love more than having a visitor who loves music and knows sod all about hifi but by the time they leave they want to know about hifi because they enjoyed the musical experience so much.

So if you expect a night and day difference between a lot of these quality turntables then you are fooling yourself - mind you I guess it is like a car enthusiast I knew who had a Rolls Royce Corniche as his daily family car - I said "what a lovely car" - he said "I hate it - I can't hear the engine when driving" .. kind of puts it all into perspective - or not

• Like 1

Well said Uzzy

Figure out how much you want to spend, then Google what appeals, try a demo etc.... T/T sound varies dramatically- good luck.:)

Here's a totally different way to look at it, and something to ponder on.

The biggest differences in presentation with a vinyl system are going to be down to the cartridge. Ndever mind the difference between moving magnet and moving coil, different flavours of each will give vastly different 'sounds'. Any cartridge needs to work properly with the arm to perform as it should, in terms of the 'match' between cartidge compliance, arm weight, damping, etc.

With this in mind, it seems actually a bit perverse that we tend to buy a turntable and arm first, then figure out what cartridges will work properly with it. Starting from scratch, it seems to me to make much more sense to try and choose the cartridge first, and then find a turntable/arm combination that suits it.

If you want 'night and day' differences, you'll find them between cartridges. The difference between turntables is shades of grey by comparison.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rabski said:

Here's a totally different way to look at it, and something to ponder on.

The biggest differences in presentation with a vinyl system are going to be down to the cartridge. Ndever mind the difference between moving magnet and moving coil, different flavours of each will give vastly different 'sounds'. Any cartridge needs to work properly with the arm to perform as it should, in terms of the 'match' between cartidge compliance, arm weight, damping, etc.

With this in mind, it seems actually a bit perverse that we tend to buy a turntable and arm first, then figure out what cartridges will work properly with it. Starting from scratch, it seems to me to make much more sense to try and choose the cartridge first, and then find a turntable/arm combination that suits it.

If you want 'night and day' differences, you'll find them between cartridges. The difference between turntables is shades of grey by comparison.

There can be some elements of truth there but if you buy a £1000 cartridge, you know your probably going to need to spend at least three times the amount on a turntable and arm to get the best from it. 

I have my trusty old AT95 cartridge which goes on every arm and deck first because it’s faithful within its limits and allows me to see what the arm is doing. 
There is a particular track on an ELO album that for years I thought was an over recorded part and just accepted it. The amount of energy it created was too much for the cartridge of the time but I had about 12 years ago, two identical LP12s set up with the same cartridge (AT95) and I played the track on both Turntables, one deck had an ittok and the other a PU7 and the PU7 almost got rid of the distortion meaning that it was allowing the cartridge to track better than the ittok.  I’ve done this ever since and it’s the best way to see how an arm is performing. You can’t do this as well if you have purchased a decent cartridge before arm and deck. 
Another is a compliant cartridge on both a Rega and an SME 3009 on the Thorens I had showed that a properly weighted and set up Rega RB 300 can outperform the 3009. .... 

The lists of tests I’ve done are long lol. 

I still believe Deck then arm then cartridge in that order 

• Like 1

I second the Technics 1200. It is affordable yet has the pace and beat to go with it. I find them the best in class for sub £1000 system. Lenco has novelty value and isn’t too expensive so it is also worth considering.

just be careful that this is a slippery slope once you go into analogue. The annoyance of trouble shooting drive me nuts all the time. There are always loads of upgrade options and none of which comes cheap. As you expect, software (music) were also more expensive when could get unlimited music for £19 on Tidal.

However I find it really fun to have one at home, watch it spin and listen to them with my partner and children.

Go for the Technics and see how you liked them.