More itch scratching

There seems to be a lot of itch scratching going on at the moment ... must be Spring / phasing out of lockdown. Anyway here's my scratch ... after more than 10 years patiently wanting one, I finally found one in blue ...

What's your itch? (keep it clean ūüėú)

IMG-20210418-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f794d053057a74e87156553464458ccb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be a lot of itch scratching going on at the moment ... must be Spring / phasing out of lockdown. Anyway here's my scratch ... after more than 10 years patiently wanting one, I finally f

My mother passed away at the end of last year and I'm wasting some of my inheritance on scratching two itches. - The first was a 36 year old itch and is an SME V arm - I have this and I adore it.

@Beobloke sorry for your loss but I do approve of your choice of mitigation  neither of which I would describe as a "waste"

Posted Images

I still have my black one of those, bought new for my static caravan . It's my bedside radio now, used daily both morning and night. Radio sounds really good actually. Unfortunately the cd player on mine has recently stopped working, I have been in two minds whether to keep it just as a radio or replace it with a used one (hoping that the cd section hasn't had too much use) or get mine fixed.  They don't often come up in blue, and many now are showing their age ... so well found :^

1 hour ago, Rayymondo said:

I still have my black one of those, bought new for my static caravan . It's my bedside radio now, used daily both morning and night. Radio sounds really good actually. Unfortunately the cd player on mine has recently stopped working, I have been in two minds whether to keep it just as a radio or replace it with a used one (hoping that the cd section hasn't had too much use) or get mine fixed.  They don't often come up in blue, and many now are showing their age ... so well found :^

They still fetch very good (almost silly) money even partly on not working. I was lucky enough to find one in nice condition at a very accessible price. I think the CD laser assembly can be replaced / repaired at reasonable cost.

• Upvote 1

My itch is a stone bodied Koetsu. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My mother passed away at the end of last year and I'm wasting some of my inheritance on scratching two itches.

- The first was a 36 year old itch and is an SME V arm - I have this and I adore it.

- The second I'm currently in the process of scratching is a 27 year old itch and has 4 wheels and a V8 engine... ;-)

Edited by Beobloke
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@Beobloke sorry for your loss but I do approve of your choice of mitigation :) neither of which I would describe as a "waste"

• Like 3

My itch is a pair of floorstanders, for a 5x3m room (approx) to be driven by a Radford STA-25. I may have mentioned it in another thread, and intend scratching it once I've moved. Any suggestions welcome (I have already started checking over the sub-woofer option but am not convinced about it yet).

EDIT: Last set of speakers was KEF Chorales, mounted on StudioSpares Monitor Stands. I liked them but sometimes caught myself thinking I'd like more bass. Still got them but everything is in storage pending house move. I've always liked KEF. For reasons I don't fully understand I've become favourably disposed towards Tannoy, and Monitor Audio. Whether other wammers see this as a contradiction w.r.t KEF I am not knowledgeable enough to say. I've been looking on ebay: it looks like I could afford some stuff s/h that would be out of my reach new. OTOH I'm not averse to buying from other wammers :)

Edited by audio_PHIL_e

(Warning: Not HiFi) I once had an itch for a hollowbody Jazzbox (guitar for the uninitiated). Scratched it with a cheapo Indonesian model that required me to replace the o/p jack, file the pickup holes in the soundtable so that the pickups would seat properly, restring it, reset the intonation etc but now I'm still gassing for an ES-175 ... (GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome, "gassing" => making a verb out of a noun) 

Had a look at the Tannoy site, not really expecting to choose one to buy new but just to find out what might be available. It seems you need to know what you're looking for otherwise you keep clicking on products to see if their description fits your spec. That doesn't help. And when they say "designed for medium/large rooms" what does that mean exactly? I know the approx dimensions of my intended listening room but AFAIK such dimensions are "small" although compared to some houses they might be "medium" or even "large". How am I supposed to know? It would help if there was a page listing approx room sizes and amplifier outputs  together with the speaker recommended for that installation. At least then you'd know where to start looking.

I do have another itch, not HiFi, a Taylor trumpet, a Chicago standard, made by Andy Taylor in Norwich just brilliant craftsmanship ............one day

I have got an itch for new speakers, either high quality stand mounts or small floor standers, but must work close to wall, that's how I discovered Larsen speakers that I have now posted about a few times , might try and have a listen to some soon...

A Linn Classik was the start of my 21st century high saga. Purchased December 2004 from Sevenoaks. Didn't keep it too long though.

DSC_1916.JPG

Edited by ClassikFan
PIC ADDED
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, ClassikFan said:

A Linn Classik was the start of my 21st century high saga. Purchased December 2004 from Sevenoaks. Didn't keep it too long though.

I used to have a Kolektor and LK85 ... being a fan of compact hifi and the simple elegance of the Linn LK form factor I knew one day I would end up with a Classik.

• Upvote 1
On 22/04/2021 at 17:01, audio_PHIL_e said:

Had a look at the Tannoy site, not really expecting to choose one to buy new but just to find out what might be available. It seems you need to know what you're looking for otherwise you keep clicking on products to see if their description fits your spec. That doesn't help. And when they say "designed for medium/large rooms" what does that mean exactly? I know the approx dimensions of my intended listening room but AFAIK such dimensions are "small" although compared to some houses they might be "medium" or even "large". How am I supposed to know? It would help if there was a page listing approx room sizes and amplifier outputs  together with the speaker recommended for that installation. At least then you'd know where to start looking.

Some small tannoys landed here 3 years ago and they still delight...BIG sound and they really boogie and sound good with almost any amp .highly recommended ( tannoy Eaton legacy)