Acoustic Panels

I am going to add some acoustic panels to the ceiling of my room which is the largest unadorned surface in there.

Generally I find the room pretty well behaved, I don’t have bass issues despite decent and extended output from the speakers, but I do feel that reflections could be better controlled and there is a sense that the ceiling is the main culprit.

Looking at 4 square panels, 90cm by 90cm. Initially I was tempted to avoid the hassle of DIY - lots of other jobs lined up in the house - but the quote I have just got from GIK is nearly £600 (with scatter plates included) and I am having second thoughts.

I have a pretty good idea on how to make them but does anyone have any hints or tips having tried themselves? Can’t be that difficult, can it...

They seem much more expensive than that on that link as for four it says £126 each not for four ? Was that just an example but you have bought from somewhere else ?

9 minutes ago, bencat said:

They seem much more expensive than that on that link as for four it says £126 each not for four ? Was that just an example but you have bought from somewhere else ?

You got me worried there!  That is the correct link, price is definitely for 4 panels as I see it - particularly if you read the item heading saying £35 each.  Multiple purchase discount would be for 8, 12, 16 panels and so on.

39 minutes ago, bencat said:

It's eBay standard wording. The 'each' is a set of four I believe. I've come across that a few times with other odds and ends on that site and it's confusing.

Apologies for starting an unwanted panic . Being a Bear of very little brain things like this confuse me . Your are right @lostwinjust me getting confused seeing the multiples and not understanding that this was for each 4 panel set .

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, bencat said:

Apologies for starting an unwanted panic . Being a Bear of very little brain things like this confuse me . Your are right @lostwinjust me getting confused seeing the multiples and not understanding that this was for each 4 panel set .

No problem - the price does seem almost too good to be true.  These are quite sizable panels as well at approx 1200mm x 600m.  They should arrive early next week so let's see what the quality is like.  Based on the eBay history it looks as if they are fairly new to the market with a limited range of options - their other product is a similar sized panel at double the thickness intended as a bass trap - recent sales feedback looks good though and a few colour options to choose from too.

I'll continue to update the thread with progress.  At least the installation of these still fits the DIY brief!

Edited by lostwin
  • Upvote 1
On 24/04/2021 at 11:25, lostwin said:

No problem - the price does seem almost too good to be true.  These are quite sizable panels as well at approx 1200mm x 600m.  They should arrive early next week so let's see what the quality is like.  Based on the eBay history it looks as if they are fairly new to the market with a limited range of options - their other product is a similar sized panel at double the thickness intended as a bass trap - recent sales feedback looks good though and a few colour options to choose from too.

I'll continue to update the thread with progress.  At least the installation of these still fits the DIY brief!

The panels look good value but they are only absorbers. I would balance that out with some diffusers, particularly if you can position them centre front. I use Vicoustic DC2 Multifusers which aren’t too expensive at about 400 euros for six, but I think there are similar expanded polystyrene diffusers that go for less.

10 hours ago, rdale said:

The panels look good value but they are only absorbers. I would balance that out with some diffusers, particularly if you can position them centre front. I use Vicoustic DC2 Multifusers which aren’t too expensive at about 400 euros for six, but I think there are similar expanded polystyrene diffusers that go for less.

Yes, I was considering the scatter plate option on the GIK panels (which i presume do the job as a diffuser) but that wasn't available on these panels.  There might be a possibility I can open them up and retro fit some wooden slats between the wool and the fabric cover which could do a similar job, let's see when they arrive.

I have a plan formulating on how to hang these from the ceiling.  I will leave a gap behind the panels - which will also enable me to add LED lights to create a concealed lighting effect on the ceiling - but also a system that will allow me to adjust their angle away from true parallel.  I was considering this more for the aesthetics but with diffuser plates fitted this may also have the benefit of a bit of fine tuning. 

Interesting that you recommend diffusers effectively behind the line of the speakers, would that be for secondary reflections?

There are some decent diffusers made by ProCoustics on Ebay. 60cm × 60cm. Choice of 4 colours/wood finishes. 50-60 bucks for 4 ? They look the same as the ones that are four times as much.  M.

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Yes, I was considering the scatter plate option on the GIK panels (which i presume do the job as a diffuser) but that wasn't available on these panels.  There might be a possibility I can open them up and retro fit some wooden slats between the wool and the fabric cover which could do a similar job, let's see when they arrive.

I have a plan formulating on how to hang these from the ceiling.  I will leave a gap behind the panels - which will also enable me to add LED lights to create a concealed lighting effect on the ceiling - but also a system that will allow me to adjust their angle away from true parallel.  I was considering this more for the aesthetics but with diffuser plates fitted this may also have the benefit of a bit of fine tuning. 

Interesting that you recommend diffusers effectively behind the line of the speakers, would that be for secondary reflections?

I find diffusers at the front improve resolution and imaging, and slightly brighter and more dynamic. But you can put them on the back wall too, or maybe on the sides if the panels are absorbing too much.

11 hours ago, garn63 said:

There are some decent diffusers made by ProCoustics on Ebay. 60cm × 60cm. Choice of 4 colours/wood finishes. 50-60 bucks for 4 ? They look the same as the ones that are four times as much.  M.

As I read it, that is the price for one panel not four...

Pleased you mentioned the ceiling lostwin, I was just about to.  I'll disagree with the comment about all treated rooms looking like studios, I've seen some wonderful phots of 'done up' rooms on various forums so it can be done.  You've got a great looking room there Mickey and I think it would be worth investing more on better looking panels, sorry to say, those linked ones maybe cheap, but may also look cheap even when neatly placed on the wall.  Without actually looking now, I know you can get multiple colours, you may find one that blends better into your room.  I'd start with them behind your speakers and listening position first, then move them to wall reflection points and see what differences they make if any.  Good luck with this project.

• 1 month later...
On 24/04/2021 at 11:25, lostwin said:

Mmmm... I was only yesterday reading up about acoustic treatment re my own listening room, so will await the results with interest :pop: