Review Of The Next Generation Klimax DSM A/V

8 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Tinny

That’s just the way the cookie crumbles

I like listening to the biscuit tin, when I listen to the Rolling Scones

If I bought the new Next Gen Klimax DSM, I would have to get a job at a bakery. I knead the dough. 😊

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Paul123 said:

Thank you for sharing this great review but would you pls make a video next time?

Silent movie?

Welcome to the club @Paul123 😉

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

• 3 weeks later...

The day has arrived, when I was able to bring home a Klimax DSM/3 A/V with the Organik DAC’s.

‘My plan is to use it as a Klimax Hub in my system, as I have Katalyst Akubariks later today, so will not be able to use the DAC’s in the Klimax DSM/3. I am also looking forward to hearing and seeing what it can do with surround music, as well as BluRay Movies, and pass through for TV. This will be my first chance to compare my Akurate Hub using a 4K source.

Tomorrow,  I plan to bring the Klimax DSM/3 to a friend’s to play with his PMC Fact 8 Signatures powered by Solos, and then I can compare his Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst, to the new Klimax DSM/3 with Organik

Here is a picture of the Klimax Hub out of the box, sitting on top of my HiFi cabinet. My Akurate Hub is sitting on the lower shelf inside the HiFi cabinet 

‘Review to come.

0E5B7B93-491E-4974-BC54-7097DFCC2DE0.jpeg

A11323E9-4654-4FE2-A531-D35378A09E32.jpeg

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

The day has arrived, when I was able to bring home a Klimax DSM/3 A/V with the Organik DAC’s.

‘My plan is to use it as a Klimax Hub in my system, as I have Katalyst Akubariks later today, so will not be able to use the DAC’s in the Klimax DSM/3. I am also looking forward to hearing and seeing what it can do with surround music, as well as BluRay Movies, and pass through for TV. This will be my first chance to compare my Akurate Hub using a 4K source.

Tomorrow,  I plan to bring the Klimax DSM/3 to a friend’s to play with his PMC Fact 8 Signatures powered by Solos, and then I can compare his Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst, to the new Klimax DSM/3 with Organik

Here is a picture of the Klimax Hub out of the box, sitting on top of my HiFi cabinet. My Akurate Hub is sitting on the lower shelf inside the HiFi cabinet 

‘Review to come.

0E5B7B93-491E-4974-BC54-7097DFCC2DE0.jpeg

A11323E9-4654-4FE2-A531-D35378A09E32.jpeg

How exciting!! I have no personal interest in surround, but I am interest to see how it compares, that will no doubt open even more avenues for Linn. The more money they make, the more generous I hope they become in rolling down the upgrades to the hoi polloi!!

• Upvote 1

Okay, here we go.

Review of the Next Generation Klimax DSM/3 A/V In My Linn System:

‘I have heard my Katalyst Akubariks with my Akurate Hub for many years, having played 1000’s of hours of music, movies, and television, and am very familiar with the sound quality. My Akurate system is extremely detailed, with a wonderful balance of timing, tonal quality, harmonics, musicality, presence and listenability. It has been my dream system and I love listening to it.

Today I brought home the new Klimax DSM/3 to audition, and installed it in my system. This is the Audio-Video version of the Klimax DSM. 

I am going to write this review in a few parts, divided into audio and video. I’ll be discussing stereo, surround sound (streaming 5.1, DVD-Audio discs and SACD’s, watching BluRay and DVD movies, and watching television as a pass through

I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to swap out the Akurate Hub for the the Klimax DSM, but it was a fairly easy process, of disconnecting the cables from the Akurate Hub and finding the appropriate connections on the Klimax DSM/3. Then I had to go into Konfig and download the latest assets, and change the music system to Klimax DSM. This involved going into the Exakt settings for the speakers and assigning each speaker to a specific channel, such as front left, front right, centre and left surround, right surround. Everything worked first time without any hitches.

1) Audio Review

First thing I did was confirm that the audio was working, and choose television. The sound quality of regular TV programming through the Klimax is the best I have experienced in my Linn system ever. There was a lot of micro detail in the audio that I had not heard before, that really enhances the TV viewing experience. Voices were richer and fuller, vocal quality was very easy to discern and even people’s accents were more apparent. Picture quality was also enhanced, with deeper colours, a wider colour palette, sharper more defined details, and all the people on the screen had a very real 3D quality, with lifelike tonal skin quality. More on the video side of things latter.

‘I loaded up a selection of some of my favourite reference music in stereo, from Steely Dan, Yello, The Cat Empire, Diana Krall and Lou Reed, streaming from my NAS to the Klimax Hub. 

‘I let the system warm up for at least 20 minutes, and then pressed play for Steely Dan’s Gaucho album (24 bit), and play Hey Nineteen. It was the most coherent and musical performance of that song I have ever heard in my system. As with all the music I played today, vocals are so clear, with every word easily heard, and no other music masking the words, each musician sounds like they have equal presence on the stage, with their own space around them, as unique entities. No instruments appeared to be recessed in the background. Drumming was so life-like, you could easily distinguish which piece of drum kit was being hit, with the thwack of the drum stick on the skins, or bass drum being hit. I heard a lot of musical detail that I had not heard before that lets you experience more of what it would be like to sit close to the band while they are playing.

Next up was Lou Reed’s Walk On The Wild Side (24 bit), listening for the do do do girls sing, and check out the front to rear sound stage, and see if the do do do girls come forward toward the listening position, with each do do do.  They did come forward out of the speakers and towards my lap.The reverberation of the bass strings was very prominent, and  Lou Reeds vocal quality was different from what I have experienced thousands of times before, with a much more human and organic sounding voice. 

I cued up Yello, Touch album 24 bit), and played a variety of songs. Again, the most enjoyable and entertaining version of this album I have ever heard in my system. The speakers seemed to be dancing along, with phenomenal timing, precision, and aliveness, as if I was in an electronica night club, taking in the layers of rhythmic sounds that seemingly pulsate from every direction. I could not get enough of how amazing this all sounded.

‘Then I played The Cat Empire, The Lost Song (16 bit). This track has excellent vocal qualities, and the sound quality of the drums is superb. Again, with the Klimax DSM, the most enjoyable version of this song I have heard yet.

‘I recently heard the same Klimax DSM connected to a pair of Cherry Katalyst 350’s, as reviewed in the first post of this thread. What distinguishes the Akubariks from the 350’s is that the bass quality is more far present on the 350’s and a great sense of being live at the concert. As with the Katalyst 350’s, my Katalyst Akubariks have a seamless quality that really comes out, that shows off the incredible clarity of instruments and vocals, with a complete lack of phase distortion. All the work that Linn has put into Exakt, SO, and SO+ is really highlighted with the new Klimax DSM. It really brings the music to life, with a natural and organic feel.

There is a smooth and effortless quality to the music, that even played really loud, is gentle to listen to, with no perceived harshness or listener fatigue, and no sense of being played too loud. 

‘I’ll continue tomorrow, getting too late now

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

... The sound quality of regular TV programming through the Klimax is the best I have experienced in my Linn system ever. There was a lot of micro detail in the audio that I had not heard before, that really enhances the TV viewing experience. Voices were richer and fuller, vocal quality was very easy to discern and even people’s accents were more apparent. 

....was the most coherent and musical performance of that song I have ever heard in my system. As with all the music I played today, vocals are so clear, with every word easily heard, and no other music masking the words, each musician sounds like they have equal presence on the stage, with their own space around them, as unique entities. No instruments appeared to be recessed in the background. Drumming was so life-like, you could easily distinguish which piece of drum kit was being hit, with the thwack of the drum stick on the skins, or bass drum being hit. I heard a lot of musical detail that I had not heard before that lets you experience more of what it would be like to sit close to the band while they are playing.

/\ This! /\

In my brief time with it, this is exactly how I found it. I agree with everything you've said here. I listen to my Selekt now with a little tinge of longing and sadness! 

Thanks for the review, it gets your feelings across well. 

• Upvote 2

If any of you watched the Clive Gidney interview with Gilad and Murray on the new DSM and Organik, on Facebook last Friday, and suffered the break in transmission (phew, pause for breath) - the whole video is now available on Linn’s Facebook page, including a bit at the end where the cameras kept rolling.

Enjoy,

’troll

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Excellent, @Paulssurround I look forward to part 2.

’troll

Thank you ‘troll. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, berni said:

Thank you for the excellent review Paul. It's still baffling me that this all comes from the new hub alone. What shall happen when the Akubariks get the "real" update...

Thanks Berni

In a way it is a surprise how much of an improvement to sound quality has been experienced with the new Klimax DSM in my system, but having had a preview of the same Klimax DSM with my recent audition at the Linn dealers with 350’s I knew there was going to be some significant changes in my system. 

Read on, as it does get even better, in the next instalment, which I still have to write. 😊

5 hours ago, jonbsbd said:

/\ This! /\

In my brief time with it, this is exactly how I found it. I agree with everything you've said here. I listen to my Selekt now with a little tinge of longing and sadness! 

Thanks for the review, it gets your feelings across well. 

Thank you jonbsbd, and glad to know we are hearing similar experiences.

‘After reviewing your brilliant write up on the Klimax DSM, I wanted to focus on the Klimax DSM A/V version to explore the audio, video, surround and movie viewing aspects of this phenomenal piece of kit, so hopefully I don’t duplicate your efforts.

‘I know what you mean about going back to my Akurate Hub after playing with this new DSM. It is going to be interesting  😊

• Upvote 1

@Paulssurround Is there nothing negative to report? The sexappeal of my beautiful black ADSM seams to vanish a little more with every post. xD

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thank you ‘troll. Much appreciated.

Thanks Berni

In a way it is a surprise how much of an improvement to sound quality has been experienced with the new Klimax DSM in my system, but having had a preview of the same Klimax DSM with my recent audition at the Linn dealers with 350’s I knew there was going to be some significant changes in my system. 

Read on, as it does get even better, in the next instalment, which I still have to write. 😊

Thank you jonbsbd, and glad to know we are hearing similar experiences.

‘After reviewing your brilliant write up on the Klimax DSM, I wanted to focus on the Klimax DSM A/V version to explore the audio, video, surround and movie viewing aspects of this phenomenal piece of kit, so hopefully I don’t duplicate your efforts.

‘I know what you mean about going back to my Akurate Hub after playing with this new DSM. It is going to be interesting  😊

You had better hurry and order one, the waiting list is growing, I couldn't go back!

• Like 3