Review Of The Next Generation Klimax DSM A/V

13 minutes ago, Suffolkboy said:

You had better hurry and order one, the waiting list is growing, I couldn't go back!

I was last told 10 to 12 weeks. Has it increased?

I plan on ordering the KSH next month.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aurelio said:

@Paulssurround Is there nothing negative to report? The sexappeal of my beautiful black ADSM seams to vanish a little more with every post. xD

The only negative is realized when you buy it. :D

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I would like to start out this post by acknowledging HiFi Centre in Vancouver, for letting me audition the new Klimax DSM A/V in my system. I am very grateful for their continued support in my audio quest and they let me audition the Klimax DSM in my system for as many days as I need for review.

Today I will have a friend over to listen to my system. He is excellent at articulating what he has heard, so perhaps I will be able to further elaborate my experiences with better quality descriptors after his visit. Then we will take the Klimax DSM to his home, so I can hear the new Organik DAC’s with his passive PMC’s driven by Solos.

Continuing with the audio side of things, a few more observations to make regarding sound quality.

Playing Diana Krall there has always a small amount of sibilance in her voice in certain songs, perhaps because she is so close miked? Now there is  virtually no sibilance in her voice, with just the faintest hint., but you really have to focus on it to hear it. 

With the Klimax Katalyst 350’s I heard recently, the bass was far more dominant, reaching  lower octaves than my Akubariks, and yet it did not overpower the mids and highs. Every detail was there, with a highly engaging experience on every level. The Akubariks appear to be a fundamentally seamless presentation without the bass dominance of the 350’s, but provide a truly seamless experience from bass to highs, with nothing seemingly out of place. Truly stunning across the audio spectrum.

Surround Sound For 5.1 Streamed Music, DVD-Audio, SACD’s and BluRay Movies

I fired up my OPPO 203 for streaming ripped 5.1 music from DVD-Audio, SACD’s, in 24 bit. This music is stored on my NAS, connected to my switch through my OPPO , via HDMI to the Klimax DSM as a PCM signal. Some of this music is DSD as well, so I was able to hear some magnificent quality recordings.

Without a doubt, this is the best I have heard my streamed 5.1 music in my system.

‘I played the Steely Dan Gaucho album, with Hey Nineteen as a go to song. It had extraordinary engagement, with the addition of more musical detail than I have heard before , and micro detail from different instruments that I have only ever heard before at a live concert, such as the shimmer of the high hats, plucking of guitar strings with fingers moving and sliding on the strings, additional percussion instruments being hit and the reeds of horn instruments in bands like Chicago.  The best way to describe it is to recognize all the extra instrumentation I had not heard before and how the musicians interact with each other to create a musical performance.

‘I played 10 Years After, A Space In Time, and it was superb. Donald Fagen’s Night Fly is an excellent recording quality, but is not generally as good as Steely Dan’s Gaucho. However, with the new Klimax DSM, the sound quality of Night Fly was every bit as enjoyable as Gaucho, liquidy smooth and detailed, in a way I have not heard before.

Hotel California took on a whole new persona with each musician having equal prominence. I have always thought that the Eagles Hell Freezes Over was a better recording quality over the Hotel California recording, but not any more. Hotel California is every bit as good with the new Klimax DSM

The biggest surprise is the live performance version of the album from Renaissance, called Renaissance, and specifically the track Ashes are Burning. I felt like I was transported to the concert hall and had front row seating. It had all the audio cues of being at a live performance. 

Next up was a selection of DVD Audio and SACD discs in 5.1, played in my OPPO, connected through HDMI as a PCM signal.

‘First up was the Carpenters Singles SACD, then the Pat Metheny Group’s Imaginary Day in surround. I will be playing many more discs, but wanted to  over a lot of ground with a variety of formats and media before it got too late last night.

‘The Carpenter Singles Surround disc in 24/88 was a revelation and so smooth and easy to listen, sounding very intimate.

‘The Pat Metheny Group Surround  in 24/96 Imaginary Day was completely different from what I heard before in my system.  The musical instrumentation created a surround scape that was completely immersive, as if I was sitting in the middle of the band. This is now one of the best surround discs I have ever heard in my system, and I have owned this disc for a long time.

I played some action BluRay movies, and the sound quality far exceeded what I have heard in the movie theatres, but my system does not produce the deep theatre rocking bass that I hear at an action flick. I will discuss in the next section, a selection of action movies in 4K, 8K and regular BluRay movies.

Stay tuned   😊

Thank you for reading this thread so far.

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

connected through HDMI as a PCM signal.

Dang! I was hoping there would be a Surround Module in there.

2 hours ago, aurelio said:

@Paulssurround Is there nothing negative to report? The sexappeal of my beautiful black ADSM seams to vanish a little more with every post. xD

Only the price…

’troll

39 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Dang! I was hoping there would be a Surround Module in there.

Available as an add-on?

’troll

• Upvote 1

Audio Visual Quality Review Of The Klimax DSM/3 A/V

The Klimax DSM A/V has a built in HDMI 2.0 board, which is something I don’t have installed on my Akurate Hub 

I don’t believe it has a surround module, as their are not enough analog outputs to service all the different channels, only digital. 

When I first hooked  up the DSM to my system, I decided to warm it up by playing some TV through my speakers. I have a relatively new LG OLED 4K C8 65 inch TV. Surprisingly, a new option showed up on my TV. Do I want to initiate “Deep Colour” ? This option has never popped up before.  I said yes, and then proceeded to check out some TV channels.

Picture quality was greatly enhanced, with far more colour richness and wider colour palette, and all the people, on the TV had a 3 dimensional element that I had never seen on my TV before. People’s voices were more dynamic and easier to distinguish, and in some cases, their accent was easy to hear.

‘I decided to play a variety of BluRay movies, to check out picture and sound quality.

‘First up was a 4K version of The Fate And The Furious, with Vin Diesel. The opening car race scene was brought to life with picture quality and colour richness that transported me to Cuba and held all the action and sound of being at the race. The engines sounded like they were in the room, and voice quality of the actors was superb. Quite stunning.

‘Next up was an 8K movie called Samsara, with exceptional picture quality and surround sound music to accompany. Sound quality was excellent, but not up to the quality of many of my surround discs. However, it was a very enjoyable experience and the best I had seen of that movie.

‘The third movie was another action flick, the recently released Midway, which was a recreation of the battle of Midway in the Pacific during World War 2. In chapter 15, you are placed in the cockpit with the pilots as they take their bombing run at the Japanese aircraft carriers, with anti-aircraft fire coming right at you. This was a seat of your pants experience, and as close as I am ever going to get to flying a plane. Excellent!!!

The last movie was the Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away. This is an extravaganza extraordinary, as an auditory and visual experience that was compelling in picture detail and imagination. Sound quality is excellent.  It is actually clips of many of the many performances, made up into a movie that ties all the performances  together. 

This completes my review of last night with the Klimax DSM.

With my friend about to arrive in a few minutes, I will post his impressions of the sound quality of the DSM in my system later today  😊

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Once again @Paulssurround very good and enthusiastic review. I’m intrigued by the “Deep Colour” option. I assume that was viewing via a cable box or similar? 

You do realise that you’re not going to be able to hand it back?

‘troll

Edited by Moomintroll

41 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Available as an add-on?

’troll

One would think if you spend $40k or £30k you would get a surround module. But those that buy may already have one, or could easily afford the extra relatively small cost.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

One would think if you spend $40k or £30k you would get a surround module. But those that buy may already have one, or could easily afford the extra relatively small cost.

I’m sure I’ve recently seen a video on fitting a module. There’s something in the March Price List under “Upgrades” - Surround Sound Processing (up to 7.1) - £1200. Listed under Klimax and Akurate DSMs.

(Perhaps if you’re only paying half that for the Hub, one shouldn’t have those expectations :P)

‘troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I don’t believe it has a surround module, as their are not enough analog outputs to service all the different channels, only digital. 

The Surround Module wouldn't necessarily do this. The output would be the same, Exakt. The surround processing would be handled by the KDSM, rather than Oppo. So the Oppo could output a bitstream signal to the KDSM.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

The Surround Module wouldn't necessarily do this. The output would be the same, Exakt. The surround processing would be handled by the KDSM, rather than Oppo. So the Oppo could output a bitstream signal to the KDSM.

Yes, Exakt (and HDMI 2.0) is listed as a prerequisite for the Linn module.

’troll

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I believe it's something linked to the licencing of dolby, even if you order any dsm with the processing card, it becomes a dealer fit, Linn will not supply with it fitted.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Once again @Paulssurround very good and enthusiastic review. I’m intrigued by the “Deep Colour” option. I assume that was viewing via a cable box or similar? 

You do realise that you’re not going to be able to hand it back?

‘troll

Thank you ‘troll

Yes, that may be a big problem, not giving it back. 😌

‘I think the Deep Colour option came from the TV. It seemed to activate when plugged into the DSM.

‘I forgot to mention, that when I played the BluRay movies, that on the TV screen, another notice popped up. It indicated that I was watching the movies in Dolby Vision. I suspect that came from the OPPO.

• Like 1

It appears that having the HDMI 2.0 board in the KDSM vs. the HDMI 1.4 board in your AEDSM could be, in addition to enabling 4K video rather than 2K, unlocking some additional features. Maybe these features come with 4K.

• Like 2