Review Of The Next Generation Klimax DSM A/V

41 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

A great read, thanks, Neil.  And quite a lot more information than I’d already gleaned elsewhere.  Super! 

Autotrader is your friend!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the excellect review @sunbeamgls! It's great that you put so much effort into setting up the two test scenarios, incl. figuring out how to "misuse" the Exakt Boxes as passive DACs. Sorry but I have to ask you the sam(ish) question as @Paulssurround:

Which system setup did you prefer overall, the Exakt Katalyst active setup with NGKDSM acting as system hub, or the passive setup with NGKDSM using the Organik DACs? It may be that you stated that in the final paragraph of the review ("...a huge uplift from Akurate level Katalyst..."), but it could also refer only to the direct comparison of the different sources that you made. It's not easy to get my head around all this...

Sorry if I am splitting hairs here, but I'm really interested. Again, I find it fascinating that the upgraded System Hub makes such a difference, which has now been reported coherently several times.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, berni said:

Thank you for the excellect review @sunbeamgls! It's great that you put so much effort into setting up the two test scenarios, incl. figuring out how to "misuse" the Exakt Boxes as passive DACs. Sorry but I have to ask you the sam(ish) question as @Paulssurround:

Which system setup did you prefer overall, the Exakt Katalyst active setup with NGKDSM acting as system hub, or the passive setup with NGKDSM using the Organik DACs? It may be that you stated that in the final paragraph of the review ("...a huge uplift from Akurate level Katalyst..."), but it could also refer only to the direct comparison of the different sources that you made. It's not easy to get my head around all this...

Sorry if I am splitting hairs here, but I'm really interested. Again, I find it fascinating that the upgraded System Hub makes such a difference, which has now been reported coherently several times.

From the review berni:

a passive Klimax level source sounds better than an Akurate Exakt Katalyst source"

:)

Excellent review, Neil - thanks.  I doubt I’ll ever be able to afford the new KDSM but I’d still love to hear one in a head-to-head comparison with my KDS/3.  I’d also like to know if the Music version outperforms the identically priced AV model that both Paul and yourself have auditioned.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

From the review berni:

a passive Klimax level source sounds better than an Akurate Exakt Katalyst source"

:)

But the you haven’t tried Organik exakt 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

AFAIK, there’s no reason why it should and no suggestion from Linn that it does.

’troll

There’d seem no valid reason for its existence then, at least at an identical price point.  Who would pay the same for a product with less functionality if there was no commensurate sonic advantage?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

My listening thoughts on KDSM/3 as full source and as system hub:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2021/05/product-review-linns-next-generation.html?m=1

Brilliant write up Sunbeamgls.

Very impressive!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Autotrader is your friend!  ;)

At least I figured out why Linn has placed the knob on top of the new Klimax DSM

It is so you can pretend you are driving a BMW M5, with the steering knob    😂

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

But the you haven’t tried Organik exakt 

The review says that too :)

1 minute ago, Paulssurround said:

At least I figured out why Linn has placed the knob on top of the new Klimax DSM

It actually reminded me of the shift dial on a BMW. I wish my car had a dial instead of a lever.

51 minutes ago, Fitter Stoke said:

Excellent review, Neil - thanks.  I doubt I’ll ever be able to afford the new KDSM but I’d still love to hear one in a head-to-head comparison with my KDS/3.  I’d also like to know if the Music version outperforms the identically priced AV model that both Paul and yourself have auditioned.  

Linn say that the music version is there to placate those customers who would not take a product with HDMI seriously.

I relate a conversation another Wammer had with a Linn engineer at the factory (or words to this effect) about DSMs in general:

Customer: "does HDMI degrade the sound?"

Linn: "I can't comment, but we allow you to turn it off"

Customer "oh, so it does degrade the sound!"

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Fitter Stoke said:

There’d seem no valid reason for its existence then, at least at an identical price point.  Who would pay the same for a product with less functionality if there was no commensurate sonic advantage?

Marketing, as far as I can tell - apparently there are some “audiophiles” out there who wouldn’t take it seriously if it came with HDMI.

Sunbeamgls beat me to it.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Linn say that the music version is there to placate those customers who would not take a product with HDMI seriously.

I relate a conversation another Wammer had with a Linn engineer at the factory (or words to this effect) about DSMs in general:

Customer: "does HDMI degrade the sound?"

Customer "oh, so it does degrade the sound!"

It was @zee9 who tipped me off that HDMI degrades sound quality, and is not a hifi option. I have since found supporting evidence for this on the internet. So I can see that "purists" wouldn't want it anywhere near their systems. I would just turn it off as I do on my AEDSM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

The knob who is steering surely?

• Haha 2