Experimenting with Adsm interconnects.

Greetings all 
Last month I upgraded my Adsm to katalyst 

it does sound great but at higher volumes gets a bit bright/ brassy sounding. Possibly an inherent limitation of my old system 
I have Linn silver interconnects throughout the system. 

I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with changing maybe just the first set of cables inputting to the amp to tone down the brightness  

It’s a minor gripe as overall the change in detail and dynamics is wonderful  but you know how it is with us pedantics!

when I get time I’ll pop down to my long suffering local dealer who doesn’t deal in Linn and ask for a couple of different options to try 

Any recommendations gratefully received 

I’m just off on a 4 day tramp over the Heaphy track so definitely off grid for a while. I look forward to any opinions when I return.   Many kiwis are enjoying buying tramping gear and exploring their own country for a change. The shops are sold out of quite a few items. 

Based on a suggestion from another linnie here who found the silvers to be great for mids and highs but not for bass I decided to try that as well once I got an Adsm (2 parallel outputs over the single output from my earlier mdsm). I don’t think it would make a difference. I tried an rca from Germany but ended up preferring a different rca for the bass and it actually made the system sound better balanced. I’m yet to try the RCA’s that he used in his lower frequencies and is still holding onto them.
https://stagersound.com/silver/frames/specs-f.html

Instead of treating the mids and highs maybe your low frequency needs the same treatment. You can test it with a pair of Linn blacks on the lower and upper bass before you decide on what rca to use.

I’ve just ordered the katalyst upgrade for my Adsm/1 and am sure I don’t want any more brightness for my 242’s.

Presently the mid and tweeter cards are in the Dynamik 4200. My 3200’s are still non Dynamik and maybe i’ll have to dedicate the 3200’s for the 3k array if I feel the same way.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I think the 5125's are to blame, the ADSM Kat with silvers doesn't (shouldn't) sound bright. Maybe a Majik 6100 or Akurate 4200 to replace the 5125?

• Like 1

@zephyr

I saw in your Wigwam-Info that you modified the Tri-Aktive Ninkas with an OW1 tweeter from Hiquphon. This is about 1 db louder than the original Ninka tweeter Linn SPKR 038/2.
If you have not already done so, you should first reduce the volume of the tweeter on the treble card by 1 db and then listen again.

Peter

Edited by Peter_P
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What speakers cable do you use?

I do not find the ADSM Kat bright (Silvers/K400).

Maybe some burn-in time could help.

M.

• Like 1

I used to own ADSM with Katalyst and it had this annoying glassy glare around 3khz. Tried different amps, cables and speakers and it was always there. Now I have KDSM/2 and it does not have that problem. I know exactly how OP feels.

On 23/04/2021 at 10:57, zephyr said:

Greetings all 
Last month I upgraded my Adsm to katalyst 

it does sound great but at higher volumes gets a bit bright/ brassy sounding. Possibly an inherent limitation of my old system 
I have Linn silver interconnects throughout the system. 

I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with changing maybe just the first set of cables inputting to the amp to tone down the brightness  

It’s a minor gripe as overall the change in detail and dynamics is wonderful  but you know how it is with us pedantics!

when I get time I’ll pop down to my long suffering local dealer who doesn’t deal in Linn and ask for a couple of different options to try 

Any recommendations gratefully received 

I’m just off on a 4 day tramp over the Heaphy track so definitely off grid for a while. I look forward to any opinions when I return.   Many kiwis are enjoying buying tramping gear and exploring their own country for a change. The shops are sold out of quite a few items. 

This sounds maybe like a strange question, but which powercord do you use?
A good Furutech can change the sound of the midds in a very positive way.

Linn Silvers are okay, although music sounds better/warmer with a good Audioquest or Furutech.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi many thanks for all your suggestions. I'm just back from the wilderness of the Heaphy track. I have K600 cable. I use a standard power cord. I will first try just Linn blacks of which I have a surplus .

I also now have two sets of Ninkas so will swap them around as well. Waiting for a wet day opportunity Just also streaming via Qobuz which has just arrived in NZ. Neil Young sounds excellent in 192Khz. Katalyst certainly responds much better to HiRes files. Brightness is fine with HiRes especially at slightly lower volumes.

Report back a bit later. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 17:52, tpalm said:

I used to own ADSM with Katalyst and it had this annoying glassy glare around 3khz. Tried different amps, cables and speakers and it was always there. Now I have KDSM/2 and it does not have that problem. I know exactly how OP feels.

So, for you it wasn’t the Katalyst aspect, which was common to both, but something else that the Klimax model does that the Akurate doesn’t?  

I've cured the brightness! I have had silver interconnects throughout. I have replaced the initial set from the ADSM with Linn blacks and left the rest. Instant fix but not only that (I sound like one of those TV adds - but wait there's  more ), The bass is tighter / more refined punchy and the treble is clearer . I don't think it's confirmation bias, have swapped them back and forward still happens. Thank God for wet days finally got around to playing. 

Thanks for all your comments, I don't even need to spend money for the upgrade!

I've cured the brightness! I have had silver interconnects throughout. I have replaced the initial set from the ADSM with Linn blacks and left the rest. Instant fix but not only that (I sound like one of those TV adds - but wait there's  more ), The bass is tighter / more refined punchy and the treble is clearer . I don't think it's confirmation bias, have swapped them back and forward still happens. Thank God for wet days finally got around to playing. 
Thanks for all your comments, I don't even need to spend money for the upgrade!

Could you explain a bit more please. Your Adsm feeds the 5125’s which are probably interconnected as well.

What cables did you change to blacks and which ones did you leave with the silvers.

In my case one output feeds the SUper tweeter, tweeter and the mids (all silvers) for the bass I’m using the second output with a different brand of RCA’s.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I have 1 x 5125
Yes silvers are still on the amp interconnects
I have only changed the initial pair running from Adsm to the 5125

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, zephyr said:

I have 1 x 5125
Yes silvers are still on the amp interconnects
I have only changed the initial pair running from Adsm to the 5125

Maybe you have Silvers, that weren't soldered by Linn, but by some dealer, who wasn't very good at it?

The soldering should look like the cable to the right, the left is by an amateur. These are Linn Black though.

Silver.jpeg

Edited by Tendaberry
  • Upvote 1

Good thought but mine are all bonafide factory ones. Just listening to riding with the king on qobuz in 192. Superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk