2021 Eurovision thread

notaclue

The annual Eurovision thread used to be Wigwam favourite. So...

Which is your favourite (mostly dreadful, mostly English-language, pap) song this year? A handy sample of them all here.

I see the French have not only stuck with French (of course), but also have berets. Très Français!

I had a brief listen and concluded it's mostly rubbish 

Probably The Netherlands sounds the most interesting and pleasantly melodic so I would pick that. 

The UK will get less than ten points. Probably eight points from Ireland and that will be it.

The UK entry is instantly forgettable. Tick-Tock by Croatia will get some votes. Finland and Italy have gone for the heavy approach. Germany don't feel hate. A bit late for that sentiment. Iceland was inspired by penguins exercising. I could practice my twerking to the Latvia entry. Lithuania - what? Malta will get votes. Moldova has dancing ice cream cones. Ukraine - err. Belgium sing about being in the wrong place. That's prophetic. Sweden is typical euro pap which will get votes. The usual mix of the expected and the bizarre.

• 4 weeks later...

I shall have a good listen to this later on - Eurovision is compulsory viewing in our household, mainly for the reason that it's a great excuse for a get-together with my friends for a social and some good food and wine. And thankfully the relaxing of the lockdown rules has happened just in time to save this year's knees-up! (there will be 5 of us in total, so inside the new limits).

Loving the thought of dancing ice cream cones! Got to love the wacky entries, we usually end up voting for a country like that, that really entertains.

Roll on Saturday! 

Most entries sounded like they were penned by Max Martin. Finland and the Netherlands were the best of a bad bunch for me.

Posted (edited)

Watched both semi-finals last night. Was extremely disappointed to see that Moldova let us down badly by omitting the dancing ice cream cones from the live performance. Considering that she can't really sing that well either, it left me feeling completely let down. Booo.

I have to say that overall it's a pretty dull and predictable clump of average, or lower-than-average, chart-pap, populated by the occasional and not-very-odd flash of something a bit more worthy of note, like Russia's "Russian Women". Even that felt a bit flat - I was expecting more exciting things from the Dalek dress. Come on Europe, stop being serious about it and give us some wacky fun!

Tunes that caught my attention - I like Belgium's "The Wrong Place" (a "non"-Eurovision song in the same way that the Common Linnets was some years ago) and I think it deserves to do well but probably won't. Finland's "Dark Side" is good too although they have basically sent Linkin Park forward in time from about 2000 to perform. There's a couple of cheesy-pop numbers that were fun but forgettable like Israel and Azerbaijan. For me the stand-out entry was Iceland's "10 Years", a "proper" catchy pop song that wasn't full of that hideous over-processed vocal effect that seems to permeate so much modern music.Shame they won't be able to perform live tonight due to Covid, hope that doesn't nobble their chances.

Of the "big 5", our entry is reasonable I think, probably the best one for a number of years but we'll still get the cold shoulder from Europe over Brexit, so it will be close to "nul points" I reckon. France is interesting and could actually do well based on the whole Chanson Francais thing, Spain isn't a bad tune, Italy are basically "Finland-lite" and God knows what Germany were thinking - it's terrible.

Anyone else think different, or have someone else pinned to win? Actually thinking about it, Sweden could be a contender again - it's a typical Euro-banger, but not sure it's memorable enough?

Edited by Jules_S

Ah well. We can't get any worse. Can we? - points???

44 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Ah well. We can't get any worse. Can we? - points???

Zero