LP12 Surgery - Thomas OK, Chief Surgeon

On 26/04/2021 at 13:42, akamatsu said:

Ron and I had a backup plan for you. That was for me to buy the Urika II at discount with the Radikal, then pass the savings on to you. It's good to have high friends in places. Did I say that right? :)

Considering the LP12 was setup in Ann Arbor, home of Hash Bash, I would say you said it just right. :D

Matt, thanks for the write up and kind comments.  I enjoyed talking with you and it is good to hear you are happy with your tuned and upgraded LP12.  I always know when I have everything dialed in to my satisfaction when I want to dance to Hey Nineteen despite having listened to the first 60 seconds thousands of times.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2021 at 15:41, akamatsu said:

When I got the Urika II, the Krystal was already in place. I noticed that the volume was lower than I was used to. So, I gave the higher 56 db output a try, and I liked it. I later confirmed that many with Urika IIs use the higher setting.

I also tried the next higher 62 db setting. 56 sounded better.

Just another thought, did you compare this against “Volume Offset” on that Exakt input?

’troll

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Just another thought, did you compare this against “Volume Offset” on that Exakt input?

’troll

I have not tried this. Perhaps someone out there has and would report? It seems to me that increasing the gain at the Urika II would sound better. But again, I haven't tried it.

• 2 weeks later...

When my dealer delivered my Urika II upgraded LP12, he told me to leave the gain at the default value, as increasing gain would decrease SQ. We used volume offset instead. I did not do any test to verify his judgement, but then I have every reason to take his word for it. After all, we know each other for decades, and usually agree on these is SQ better, or worse questions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

When my dealer delivered my Urika II upgraded LP12, he told me to leave the gain at the default value, as increasing gain would decrease SQ. We used volume offset instead. I did not do any test to verify his judgement, but then I have every reason to take his word for it. After all, we know each other for decades, and usually agree on these is SQ better, or worse questions.

Thank you for this information. I will give it a try. The notion that a free SQ upgrade could be had is quite exciting.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

This would be my assumption too, although I’m now puzzled as to why Linn offer alternative values for their own cartridges.

’troll

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

This would be my assumption too, although I’m now puzzled as to why Linn offer alternative values for their own cartridges.

’troll

My LP12 fettler, who is considered to be one of the best, has his Urika II/Kandid at 56 db. Hmmmm. Let the experimentation begin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

I’m now puzzled as to why Linn offer alternative values for their own cartridges.

First of all it's simpler to have the same options for all cartridges, than to lock options for certain models, but not for others.

Then Linn is not Apple, and tends more to openness than walled gardens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Okay. Gain for the Kandid is set at 50 db (default). Volume offset is at +4 adjusted by ear. It sounds really good. It sounded really good before. I'll give it a proper listening session this evening.

Edit: Adjusted volume gain to +5. I went for +6 but really couldn't detect much difference with a 1 db change. So I thought if it doesn't matter, I'll go with the lower gain.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Okay. Gain for the Kandid is set at 50 db (default). Volume offset is at +4 adjusted by ear. It sounds really good. It sounded really good before. I'll give it a proper listening session this evening.

Having dinner whilst listening and so far, I think I'll keep these settings. I can't really put my finger on it, but I'm just really enjoying the music. I was cooking and was getting annoyed by running the water as the noise was interfering. :D

• Like 1

Listened again at night. I did notice something different, perhaps more detail. It's staying at 50 db, +5 db for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Listened again at night. I did notice something different, perhaps more detail. It's staying at 50 db, +5 db for now.

I was going to ask about the source volume offset for an LP12 a while back but I never got round to it so I'm interested in the info in this thread. I'm going to try the +5 this evening (I also use Kandid/Urika II). Incidentally in the Linn Docs Wiki it states "Volume Offset: this to raise or lower the comparative volume level on this input compared to other inputs. E.g. an LP12 may require a +5dB offset, but CD player may be -8db". Purely out of curiosity I looked at the fixed/default gain settings for the various analog MC stages and Linto/Uphorik/Akurate are all 64dB (when on high gain) but the Urika I is 62.5dB.

• Like 2

The “offsets” are simply to allow each input to sound as loud as the next, to avoid having to constantly avoid adjusting volume when changing inputs.

’troll

• 2 weeks later...