Measurements vs Listening

11 minutes ago, rabski said:

The bad thing about my ears is that they are fallible. As are everyone else's. I did do some critical listening training some moons ago, but I don't like it. It eats away at the enjoyment of music and outside of stricly controlled conditions, it's totally pointless because other factors wipe out the ability to discriminate.

If it all sounds good, that's fine. If it doesn't sound right, I may dig out the 'scope and try to see why. Quite often, the reason it doesn't sound good is psychological. Any combination of hungry, angry and tired does far more damage to how good something sounds than a few percent of THD can. Equally, in a domestic setting, with a load of equipment connected together, exactly why something doesn't sound right is often much harder to figure out that we kid ourselves.

Absolutely,  we don't  listen with our ears but with our whole being. 

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
1 hour ago, rabski said:

The bad thing about my ears is that they are fallible. As are everyone else's. I did do some critical listening training some moons ago, but I don't like it. It eats away at the enjoyment of music and outside of stricly controlled conditions, it's totally pointless because other factors wipe out the ability to discriminate.

If it all sounds good, that's fine. If it doesn't sound right, I may dig out the 'scope and try to see why. Quite often, the reason it doesn't sound good is psychological. Any combination of hungry, angry and tired does far more damage to how good something sounds than a few percent of THD can. Equally, in a domestic setting, with a load of equipment connected together, exactly why something doesn't sound right is often much harder to figure out that we kid ourselves.

I'm totally with you on this. I can listen to music day in, day out on my main system and it sounds perfectly brilliant, no hint of fatigue, etc. Then some times (an hour here or there) it sounds a little on the bright, over-forward side, and gets tiresome. This has nothing to do with a type of music or particular album, and I know that I can listen to the same tunes another time and it'll be fine. Other times it can sound flat and lifeless, and it definitely isn't that way inclined most of the time. It's psychological for sure.

I also think a lot of opinions concerning a given component's character on many forums (not this illustrious one, of course) are more down to room conditions and system suitability than traits of the component itself.

Edited by Nifkin
  • Like 2

I do buy a lot of new music so I’m quite often listening to music I have not heard before. I have pulled out my trusty iPod and ear buds to double check albums when things haven’t sounded right, it’s surprising how many are audible distortions originate from badly produced music. It’s easy to see how it can have you running around in circles hunting unicorns.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I do buy a lot of new music so I’m quite often listening to music I have not heard before. I have pulled out my trusty iPod and ear buds to double check albums when things haven’t sounded right, it’s surprising how many are audible distortions originate from badly produced music. It’s easy to see how it can have you running around in circles hunting unicorns.

Totes. A good system does reveal plenty of crap recordings which too often we blame on our systems.

Edited by Nifkin
1 minute ago, Nifkin said:

Totes. A good system does reveal plenty of crap recordings.

It can, but some of these have been obvious using the iPods supplied earbuds. One album had a track that featured a ‘crackling’ (IIRC) in the left channel. Trust me, panic stations are activated when you hear that from your hifi!xD

1 minute ago, Blackmetalboon said:

It can, but some of these have been obvious using the iPods supplied earbuds. One album had a track that featured a ‘crackling’ (IIRC) in the left channel. Trust me, panic stations are activated when you hear that from your hifi!xD

Some stuff is mixed/mastered to play via codec on earbuds.

A YT video from Paul of PS Audio

• Like 1

Paul from PS Audio reminds me of Mickey’s best buddy Goofy for some reason.

I just hope people aren’t taking him (too) seriously....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, tuga said:

Yep. Only 149K youtube subscribers😀

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Yep. Only 149K youtube subscribers😀

Trump nearly got elected the second time. Dark times 

10 minutes ago, tuga said:

Trump nearly got elected the second time. Dark times 

I like him😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, tuga said:

What bits should we not take seriously from the PS Audio video? 

On 01/05/2021 at 22:44, tuga said:

I am also intrigued to know what exactly you think he said in that video that shouldn't be taken seriously?

• Like 1