Cleaning CD's ?

Audio Al

Any advice on cleaning CD's , I have some that are grubby and need the laser side cleaned without damage 

Fank You :)

I tend to just rub them with a bit of spit and an old rag^_^

Well actually I do have a cd cleaner spray(may just be camel spit?) and lens(camera) cleaning cloth which does the trick 

Of the few thousand cds I have I think just 1 or 2 have caused "problems" despite some looking pretty dodgy(2nd hand, not mine naturally)

• Like 1

Yes Al.....I can recommend Johnsons baby shampoo. (gentle :)).   Warm water...wet disc...small drop of shampoo....scrub with finger tips...rinse well....dry face down on paper towel (soft type).  Small bottle cleans 90,000 CDs  for less than a pound ?  A very popular Yorkshire method apparently.       Seriously though if you havnt cleaned them for yrs it's worth doing.  M.    

Edited by garn63
  • Like 1

Bit of Vim and a gentle scrub with a brillo. Centre to outside edge of course... :sofa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I use one of these, with the supplied juice (Isopropyl Alcohol). Bought one in the 90s the two pads were getting worn and managed to grab another off fleady for £8 about this time last year. 

Having my original as a spare I use it with furniture polish for scratched discs, the Polish helps fill the scratches making the disc mostly playable. 

Lighter petrol is also good for cleaning as it evaporates so no residue. 

16196262266437877502041421331033.jpg

Meths might also be good as it also leaves no residue, but could be a tad strong.

Wire brush and dettol (do not try this at home).

Serious answer, a lot of things can potentially do some 'not good' to plastics in the long term. For really grubby CDs, I'd just use a bit of washing-up liquid on a damp cloth. Clean and dry with a microfibre cloth afterwards and job's a goodun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jules_S said:

Bit of Vim and a gentle scrub with a brillo. Centre to outside edge of course... :sofa:

Vim...bloody hell is it still going. Remember my auld mum got a pumis stone & used Vim to try & remove a tattoo from my fingers  xD

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, huwge said:

I tend to just rub them with a bit of spit and an old rag^_^

Well actually I do have a cd cleaner spray(may just be camel spit?) and lens(camera) cleaning cloth which does the trick 

Of the few thousand cds I have I think just 1 or 2 have caused "problems" despite some looking pretty dodgy(2nd hand, not mine naturally)

Any preference ? Gin , Whisky , Vodka , Rum 

Woops , I read that as spirit not spit 

Edited by Audio Al

Game and CEX have cleaning machines that use a cutting compound to restore badly scratched discs which have not scratched right through the lacquer - and you can buy them .. rule of thumb only use once.

Whatever you do be careful what you put on a cd to clean it - acetal will destroy the plastic lacquer (so avoid nail polish remover).

When you  clean them (using soapy water or your record cleaning fluid which does the job) remember to polish from the centre to the outside (not round and round the circumference) as scratches that cause problems are not normally diagonal ones but ones that follow the circumference of the cd

I find that glass cleaner cloths (supplied as disposable and damp) are great (and they were developed to clean plastic lenses in your glasses) and the alternative are proprietary cleaners for Laptop screens and if they do not damage the plastic screen they are not going to damage your cds 

Edited by uzzy
  • Upvote 1

I use the cheap spectacle cleaning wipes from Aldi 

• Like 2

It's been so long since I've had to climb out of my comfy chair, let alone choose what play out of all the choices staring at you that I have forgotten what physical formats are🤔

... that said there is a slow burning vinyl itch I can feel waiting to rise again🔥

3 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

It's been so long since I've had to climb out of my comfy chair, let alone choose what play out of all the choices staring at you that I have forgotten what physical formats are🤔

... that said there is a slow burning vinyl itch I can feel waiting to rise again🔥

It happens, Welcome home brother :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

As the owner of fewer turntables than Adam, but nevertheless more than one, I recommend antiseptic cream. Followed by a large glass of reality and an extensive financial survey.

If that doesn't get rid of the itch, then go for it.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

I use the cheap spectacle cleaning wipes from Aldi 

I've got some in the cupboard !    Top tip xD        Cant help feel that RA would charge £29.99 for such a product. Under a pound in Aldi ?