WTB Phono Stage

Trilogy 906 on PFM, good stage, I have the 907, but then I am a bit of a Trilogy fanboi.  It is not mine the 906.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/trilogy-906nmc-mm-phono-stage-boxed.254712/#post-4344743

Edited by It Cost How Much!?!

Well most seem of the opinion  that the BB is a really fine element to have in any system .. But in many ways not indusive to the idea of my mancave .. This cave is to be somewhere where I can play with some of the equipment I’ve used and collected over 50 yrs ..

I have my endgame system for me downstairs.. And as much as I admire the qualities of modern equipment especially when it’s virtually a bespoke  piece of gear , if it’s brand new it sort of defeats the object other than a cartridge.

£1000 is probably 4 x the worth of each of my individual vintage amplifiers other than the Sonus Faber Musica and probably 10x the individual value of some of the vintage speakers that have been lovingly restored other than the Gale 401s ..Although it’s not a matter of cost to a certain degree ..A £1000 phono preamp requires a £3000 preamplifier a £1500 cartridge and £2000 speakers never mind what comparative interconnects and speaker cables are used to keep everything in perspective ..I’m not trying to create an ultimate system ..I have that and love it ..The mancave is in many ways a showcase of what I loved from the 70s and 80s . With a couple of later items I couldn’t bear to part with ..Spending £1000 for a phono is getting into building a serious system and not the ultimate idea of having a laugh and fun..

I’ve had some very good offers for my money and been very tempted and thank all who’s been in touch .. I reckon ultimately a bake-off in late summer may find me what I’m looking for if fellow enthusiasts would like to bring something along “ vintage “ for me to try 

kindest regards Julian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

Well most seem of the opinion  that the BB is a really fine element to have in any system .. But in many ways not indusive to the idea of my mancave .. This cave is to be somewhere where I can play with some of the equipment I’ve used and collected over 50 yrs ..

I have my endgame system for me downstairs.. And as much as I admire the qualities of modern equipment especially when it’s virtually a bespoke  piece of gear , if it’s brand new it sort of defeats the object other than a cartridge.

£1000 is probably 4 x the worth of each of my individual vintage amplifiers other than the Sonus Faber Musica and probably 10x the individual value of some of the vintage speakers that have been lovingly restored other than the Gale 401s ..Although it’s not a matter of cost to a certain degree ..A £1000 phono preamp requires a £3000 preamplifier a £1500 cartridge and £2000 speakers never mind what comparative interconnects and speaker cables are used to keep everything in perspective ..I’m not trying to create an ultimate system ..I have that and love it ..The mancave is in many ways a showcase of what I loved from the 70s and 80s . With a couple of later items I couldn’t bear to part with ..Spending £1000 for a phono is getting into building a serious system and not the ultimate idea of having a laugh and fun..

I’ve had some very good offers for my money and been very tempted and thank all who’s been in touch .. I reckon ultimately a bake-off in late summer may find me what I’m looking for if fellow enthusiasts would like to bring something along “ vintage “ for me to try 

kindest regards Julian

What about some sort of 70's phonostage? They did make some and they were wonderfully vintage looking. I think LEAK made one. FUGLY but it's great fun. 

Might I recommend the Michel Iso..? Ive used one of these and at the time was dead pleased with it. You will want the Hera power supply as well. I think it fits in well with your retro/vintage scene. My mate still uses this combo and then went out and got the pre amp. Non metal cases if memory serves.

You might well pick the pair up for £200 and £150 for the pre.

Jack NSM

• Upvote 1

I love my EE Minimax phonostage, but one I used to own many years ago, that was very capable, and versatile, was the Trichord Diablo with the Never Connected power supply.

• Upvote 1

For a low cost no nonsense phono how about a Cambridge Audio 640/651P. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Given the op's new criteria I can't think of better than a Kinshaw Perception two box MM/MC. £200 to £250 should bag a beaut.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

Given the op's new criteria I can't think of better than a Kinshaw Perception two box MM/MC. £200 to £250 should bag a beaut.

I would second this. This device was a contemporary of the above mentioned ISO stage and considered the pick of the bunch for MM use in its day. But flick a switch and it becomes a very capable MC stage. Not the prettiest of hardware but that’s because the effort went into the electronics inside so it’ll win no awards for aesthetics.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Can I suggest that the op starts a thread in the proper section if he wants views on phono stages?

Not really the right thing to clutter up a for sale/wanted thread.

Confused?

Edited by BruceFlea
  • Like 1

If he wants to do that he can. I can move/ re-title this one too.