To jump or not to jump

Just a quick update. 

I've been trialling different settings on my Majik 140 speakers over the last few months using different sources of music.

Without any jumper cables or connector plates, and of course with cables and plates. The cables used were Chord Clearway X and the plates were brass.

Did I notice any difference?  It was subtle and it depended on the style of music, such as a music with a strong solo vocal or individual instrument being emphasised and more precise . For instance I was listening to MONO with AA Williams Exit in Darkness and there was a little more clarity in the vocals, and the  inflections' of her voice were more pronounced. The same could be said with the instruments  especially with the piano intro. On the other hand listening to Arcade Fire album Funeral, where the music/vocals are more 'fused' together and a bit more 'chaotic', the difference was more difficult to ascertain.

Was it worth the time and money, It was a subtle difference, it was never going to a eureka moment, however,  it has helped eke out a little more out of my 140 speakers.

P.S. No dremels were harmed in this experiment. 

8 hours ago, d88 said:

Just a quick update. 

I've been trialling different settings on my Majik 140 speakers over the last few months using different sources of music.

Without any jumper cables or connector plates, and of course with cables and plates. The cables used were Chord Clearway X and the plates were brass.

Did I notice any difference?  It was subtle and it depended on the style of music, such as a music with a strong solo vocal or individual instrument being emphasised and more precise . For instance I was listening to MONO with AA Williams Exit in Darkness and there was a little more clarity in the vocals, and the  inflections' of her voice were more pronounced. The same could be said with the instruments  especially with the piano intro. On the other hand listening to Arcade Fire album Funeral, where the music/vocals are more 'fused' together and a bit more 'chaotic', the difference was more difficult to ascertain.

Was it worth the time and money, It was a subtle difference, it was never going to a eureka moment, however,  it has helped eke out a little more out of my 140 speakers.

P.S. No dremels were harmed in this experiment. 

I would agree with these findings for Chord Co cables. My M140’s were initially MDSM driven single wire with Chord Co Odyssey 2. I had been using this previously with warm sounding Arcam & Marantz electronics and the detail of the Chord Co cable was beneficial. I was also using Chord Co Signature jumpers then with MA RS6 speakers. When the MDSM replaced the Arcam & Marantz electronics I found the MA RS6’s very fatiguing. But, M140’s we’re already on order.

With SO1 done I found the MA RS6’s to very fatiguing. When the M140’s came and we’re also tuned in with SO1. However, I still found my M140’s a little fatiguing over an extended listen.

My dealer was making me up sone K400 but took their sweet time… When this arrived the much of the fatigue was lost. Though, I personally found it took a long path to get the right bass out of my M140’s. SO2 was a major free bass improvement.

With eBay and time I am fully K400 now on all my systems. Really great cable for Linn systems.

I bought some huge plugs to Quad-wire my Conservatory Komponent 110’s from the single binding posts on my MDSM. They share the 2K array with the M140’s and responded very well to this bodge.

Amazon “Audiocrast 8 Pcs Gold Plated Banana Plugs For Speakers Screw Locking Audio Jack Connectors For Speaker Wire

These plugs just took 4 strands of K400 at the amplifier end. So, no jumpers at all at the speaker end. I did this around June this year. Maybe not the best plugs ever, but effective and sound good for the outlay.

M140’s respond excellently to upstream upgrades. You have a great speaker, enjoy. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...