Anyone tried these to calm a lively sounding room? Eg these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143383226557 Wouldn't cost the earth.

I have a laminate floor but the room's rugged up.

1 hour ago, MickyP said:

Anyone tried these to calm a lively sounding room? Eg these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143383226557 Wouldn't cost the earth.

I have a laminate floor but the room's rugged up.

I've bought a few boxes over the years, I've even lined the corner of a drum booth and it helped with transients reaching the air mics. I've also used a whole box in my down mixing studio at home but doubled them us as they are really to thin to completely damp reflections but they are useful as cheap diffusers all the same. 

If you do make a purchase open the box and scatter the tiles and leave them for a few days because they reek from the chemicals used in the processing. When you install them try and create a random distribution rather than a fixed pattern as this will help breaking up certain frequencies but also allow a more realistic 'live' sound.

• Like 2

Hiya

Re the 'random distribution' bit, obvs this has to be wife friendly. She'd much rather have the whole wall the same - would that just sterilise the sound?  I take it you mean a couple of, maybe, 5 x 3 panels at a key position on the wall behind speakers. I have seen some hexagonal form tiles. I might be able to sell those to the missus. :-)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MickyP said:

Hiya

Re the 'random distribution' bit, obvs this has to be wife friendly. She'd much rather have the whole wall the same - would that just sterilise the sound?  I take it you mean a couple of, maybe, 5 x 3 panels at a key position on the wall behind speakers. I have seen some hexagonal form tiles. I might be able to sell those to the missus. :-)

I would start by treating early reflection zones on side walls, cover the floor with a thick rug and draw floor to ceiling curtains over windows.

Also consider adding absorption behind the listening spot if seating is close to the wall.

Ideally absorption should be broadband to respect the balance of the direct sound.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MickyP said:

Hiya

GIK panels are more expensive than the foam ones you linked to, but they have a wide range of wooden front panel patterns and fabric colors that should be more domestically acceptable. The eBay foam ones were only an inch thick and you might find they lose the treble while still leaving a bright upper midrange and lower treble.

• Like 1

personally I would rather retain my living room than a 'live in' studio👍

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

personally I would rather retain my living room than a 'live in' studio👍

Same here. Apart from a couple of exceptions I don’t think I have ever seen pictures of treated rooms which didn’t look like treated rooms.

Some achitectural treatment products look great but are expensive and/or unavailable  to retail customers.

14 minutes ago, tuga said:

Same here. Apart from a couple of exceptions I don’t think I have ever seen pictures of treated rooms which didn’t look like treated rooms.

Some achitectural treatment products look great but are expensive and/or unavailable  to retail customers.

if you can treat it with your own home furnishings then go for it... there are the fairly obvious list of classics then there is your own limitless initiative... 

• Like 1

Would a pic canvas do the same or similar? I could easily strategically add a couple of large pics on the back wall behind the speakers.

1 minute ago, MickyP said:

Would a pic canvas do the same or similar? I could easily strategically add a couple of large pics on the back wall behind the speakers.

The best place to start would be at the sides - the first reflection points. Look up on the web how to use a mirror to find those.

If you are just trying to damp a bright room, then the ceiling might be the best place. I had some ceiling panels installed in my large living room, and it was the turning point when the system went from sounding like a disco to something recognisable as HiFi sound.

• Upvote 1

Pics below.

I know the floor's a bit lively, but the side reflection points are windows and I can pull the curtains. Wondering if the RSJ extension beam is bouncing stuff around.

Any thoughts? I can throw a mat down and try that and/or hang some on the back wall and judge what it does to the sound. Or carpet the whole room!

Mike

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.f5d0ea3c9d060810069ee7ba2dc2ecda.jpg593023609_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.7bea1011ca7679d9dee48b72f6e37a51.jpg

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

i like loudspeakers pulled into the room a metre or more off the back wall also I like nearfield listening, so will be seated closer to the loudspeaker... it may not be for you or suitable for for the room but trying it would be painless.... I would say your loudspeakers are too tight to the wall and your seating too far away it looks like it's set a bit aimless and alot of space that's getting 'lost in translation' .... try loudspeakers one third into the room and seating one third into the room from the back wall and work from there making adjustments also on width of loudspeakers and toe in.. 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hiya

I had them nearly a metre and wider but they sounded very brittle. I guess me dusting off an old rug and reducing the laminate would be a good starting point. I just wondered, per original post, whether some acoustic tiling behind the speakers would do much.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MickyP said:

Hiya

I had them nearly a metre and wider but they sounded very brittle. I guess me dusting off an old rug and reducing the laminate would be a good starting point. I just wondered, per original post, whether some acoustic tiling behind the speakers would do much.

I think the original tiles are pretty ugly, and you have quite an attractive room. On a recent thread lostwin post a link to some grey panels which were 126 pounds for four. To me they look as though they might go with your room:

The Martin Logans are dipole radiators and so you might be right about putting the panels behind them. The only way to know for sure is to try different positions out and see what the options sound like.

• Like 2

It's only the opinion of a guy who thought a Ducati was a sports car.....however I do have a similar room to you (with the beam & alcovey bits)

Looking at the pics...if you must have the settee at the back then your spkrs need to be moved a 1ft-18 inches wider & brought fwds a foot or two also. Towing them in alot more will help. If you cant do this then your not giving yourself a chance to achieve better sound & It seems futile to address reflections cos they are coming from all angles ?  I sit underneath the beam & listen nearfield but I sense you wont do this :)  Put some plants in front of the walls that Jut out maybe,as well as either side of your spkrs. Basically methinks it's about getting as much quality sound under that beam before it bounces around. Women can be bought but it's usually expensive. You might get away with it if hou invested in more large plants to place in the corners behind the spkrs ? Am guessing a separate t.v. room is out of the question?    Good luck....as we dont like change apparently.  :)

• Like 1