Jump to content

New Klimax System Hub


Recommended Posts

I thought it might be useful to start a new thread dedicated to the new Klimax System Hub (KSH), for those of us with Exakt systems. There are a few who have ordered, and a few more planning on ordering.

For me, I will get one. But due to recent report from the dealer, the question is now "when?" I was going to order right away. But now, it doesn't quite have the urgency that it did before. I decided that I need to listen for myself before spending $19500 minus trade-in. Also, I haven't read any reports of the KSH with Klimax LP12 and Katalyst Akubariks. The dealer will set up this demo and report to me. He did offer to post the KDSM to me for loan, but I'm not sure I want to do this. If I hear it in my house with my system, going back to the AEDSM for up to 12 weeks may be too painful.

Had the dealer reported a "Wow!" difference between the AEDSM and the KSH, I would anxiously awaiting the Urika II test, and be ordering contingent on that result. The feedback was of a more subtle improvement. Definitely more musical, but I guess at this level most improvements can be described as subtle. But subtle can improve music (not hifi) considerably.

So I have calmed down a bit, and will proceed with less reckless abandon.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I thought it might be useful to start a new thread dedicated to the new Klimax System Hub (KSH), for those of us with Exakt systems. There are a few who have ordered, and a few more planning on ordering.

For me, I will get one. But due to recent report from the dealer, the question is now "when?" I was going to order right away. But now, it doesn't quite have the urgency that it did before. I decided that I need to listen for myself before spending $19500 minus trade-in. Also, I haven't read any reports of the KSH with Klimax LP12 and Katalyst Akubariks. The dealer will set up this demo and report to me. He did offer to post the KDSM to me for loan, but I'm not sure I want to do this. If I hear it in my house with my system, going back to the AEDSM for up to 12 weeks may be too painful.

Had the dealer reported a "Wow!" difference between the AEDSM and the KSH, I would anxiously awaiting the Urika II test, and be ordering contingent on that result. The feedback was of a more subtle improvement. Definitely more musical, but I guess at this level most improvements can be described as subtle. But subtle can improve music (not hifi) considerably.

So I have calmed down a bit, and will proceed with less reckless abandon.

I expect NR Watson will have a report soon.

Klimax LP12

Urika II

350 Exakt Katalyst

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

I expect NR Watson will have a report soon.

Klimax LP12

Urika II

350 Exakt Katalyst

Yes. And it seems there was at least one other who had pulled the trigger on a hub.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a good chance I will be able to bring home a Klimax DSM Organik to try out with my Katalyst Akubariks soon, but have to get through a week of home renovations first.

I will compare it to my Akurate Hub and report

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Yes. And it seems there was at least one other who had pulled the trigger on a hub.

Stu

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not even considering it. The investment step from ASH to NGKSH is, to me, beyond comprehension - there is the law of diminishing returns , and then there is this one! Others may have been waiting for this moment and for them the cost may be what they expected - and their choice will be different.

I didn't go ASH to  (normal) KSH for 3  reasons: One-  all my other stuff is in Akurate boxes (and that includes my phono stage); Two: There was less connectivity available from the KSH and Three: If there was a sonic difference then my ears were really struggling to  pick it up. Given that the new one makes no change to (one) above, little change to (two) above and maybe a change to (three) (bit I may not hear it - don't know, not tried yet)) - and it adds several £K to the cost to change element then I can safely say that it isn't going to happen.

The pricing of the NGKDSM doesn't surprise me - I think that it is a little high but Linn's flagship (especially AV) always has been. It is the modern equivalent of my Kisto and in its day my Kisto was very expensive. It also brings new technology to the table - which is seldom cheap. The pricing of the "hub" is a different matter. I always thought that with  the original one, one was paying for a lot of milled out waste - now it appears that it's possible to pay for even more.

I will give one a listen at some point  - but doubt that I'll be persuaded.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dasher said:

I will give one a listen at some point  - but doubt that I'll be persuaded.

Well if the hype is real and I assume it is, it’s probably better not to listen.

When I listened to my S/H Keltiks 2 weeks ago at the sellers place, he also had a pair of 350a for sale in the same room. I asked for a quick dem and he quickly set  them up with KDSM and KEAB with Katalyst on passthrough. Within 2 minutes my mind begun calculating what the resale value of my kit was vs the price of the stuff I was listening to..

In the forth minute I kindly asked him to turn the music of albeit with a smile on my face. 😅

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pennypacker said:

Well if the hype is real and I assume it is, it’s probably better not to listen.

When I listened to my S/H Keltiks 2 weeks ago at the sellers place, he also had a pair of 350a for sale in the same room. I asked for a quick dem and he quickly set  them up with KDSM and KEAB with Katalyst on passthrough. Within 2 minutes my mind begun calculating what the resale value of my kit was vs the price of the stuff I was listening to..

In the forth minute I kindly asked him to turn the music of albeit with a smile on my face. 😅

Oh I'm sure that you're  right!

I have no doubt that Organik brings something extra but I'm happy with my lot ...for now anyway!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dasher said:

Oh I'm sure that you're  right!

I have no doubt that Organik brings something extra but I'm happy with my lot ...for now anyway!

If it makes you feel better, even though you probably already feel good, I was listening last night and said to myself, "One would have to be out of their mind to feel any need to improve on this."

So your point is well taken. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

If it makes you feel better, even though you probably already feel good, I was listening last night and said to myself, "One would have to be out of their mind to feel any need to improve on this."

So your point is well taken. :D

Until you hear an improvement then difficult to go back the sensible ones when they reach their nirvana don’t join forums like this and stop buying Hi-Fi magazines and then just listen to their music 

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I thought it might be useful to start a new thread dedicated to the new Klimax System Hub (KSH), for those of us with Exakt systems. There are a few who have ordered, and a few more planning on ordering.

For me, I will get one. But due to recent report from the dealer, the question is now "when?" I was going to order right away. But now, it doesn't quite have the urgency that it did before. I decided that I need to listen for myself before spending $19500 minus trade-in. Also, I haven't read any reports of the KSH with Klimax LP12 and Katalyst Akubariks. The dealer will set up this demo and report to me. He did offer to post the KDSM to me for loan, but I'm not sure I want to do this. If I hear it in my house with my system, going back to the AEDSM for up to 12 weeks may be too painful.

Had the dealer reported a "Wow!" difference between the AEDSM and the KSH, I would anxiously awaiting the Urika II test, and be ordering contingent on that result. The feedback was of a more subtle improvement. Definitely more musical, but I guess at this level most improvements can be described as subtle. But subtle can improve music (not hifi) considerably.

So I have calmed down a bit, and will proceed with less reckless abandon.

When I heard the new Klimax DSM, I was absolutely astonished at the improvements in sound quality, and better than anything I had heard before.

‘It was transformational and revolutionary. It was definitely not subtle.

‘When I got home and fired up my Akurate Hub and Katalyst Akubariks, I was very disappointed in my system, as the sound stage seemed so small in comparison. I seriously wondered what had happened to the music. 

‘However, the next day, I played my system again, cranked it up,  and I was very happy with my own system again. I somehow made a mental shift to realize that my system sounds fantastic, but the Klimax sounds even better

I loved the new Klimax, but realistically it is not a likely purchase at the moment for me

10 hours ago, Dasher said:

I'm not even considering it. The investment step from ASH to NGKSH is, to me, beyond comprehension - there is the law of diminishing returns , and then there is this one! Others may have been waiting for this moment and for them the cost may be what they expected - and their choice will be different.

I didn't go ASH to  (normal) KSH for 3  reasons: One-  all my other stuff is in Akurate boxes (and that includes my phono stage); Two: There was less connectivity available from the KSH and Three: If there was a sonic difference then my ears were really struggling to  pick it up. Given that the new one makes no change to (one) above, little change to (two) above and maybe a change to (three) (bit I may not hear it - don't know, not tried yet)) - and it adds several £K to the cost to change element then I can safely say that it isn't going to happen.

The pricing of the NGKDSM doesn't surprise me - I think that it is a little high but Linn's flagship (especially AV) always has been. It is the modern equivalent of my Kisto and in its day my Kisto was very expensive. It also brings new technology to the table - which is seldom cheap. The pricing of the "hub" is a different matter. I always thought that with  the original one, one was paying for a lot of milled out waste - now it appears that it's possible to pay for even more.

I will give one a listen at some point  - but doubt that I'll be persuaded.

I think it is worth your while to listen, and know what is possible for music reproduction.

Given that you are a musician, you may appreciate the musical  presentation that the new Klimax brings to the party. 

I do believe you will be staggered
 

24 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

Until you hear an improvement then difficult to go back the sensible ones when they reach their nirvana don’t join forums like this and stop buying Hi-Fi magazines and then just listen to their music 

Your new Klimax DSM should be showing up any day now?  😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

When I heard the new Klimax DSM, I was absolutely astonished at the improvements in sound quality, and better than anything I had heard before.

I only know @Paulssurround from reading his interesting posts on this forum, but he seems to be someone who spends a lot of time 'eeking' out the very least dregs of quality from the system he has (and sharing them with us, thanks). Searching through small incremental steps. This is quite some recommendation I would suggest. I agree with you @PaulssurroundI have 'accepted' my Selekt again, but in my heart now I know what I really want!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I do believe you will be staggered

For the NGKDSM I think that you are possibly correct - all the indications are that it is not a subtle change - and will be nice to know what is possible. For the hub I'm not so sure - and I also find it visually unattractive (when paired with other boxes) - as a single box in a 350a exact system, in the right setting, it probably looks great!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jonbsbd said:

Searching through small incremental steps.

I agree,  Paul has an ability to bring about pin point refinement - something which he tries hard to pass on to others.

There is so much to do here to my current set up before putting in £30K's worth of DS. For example, I run my ethernet over mains - the difference between this and hard wiring is staggering (my EoM is noisy)  - and all that it involves is drills, ladders, a bit of thought , time and inclination to do it! However, as my main listening is to vinyl, and the system in my main room isn't Exakt, rewiring is still on the 'to-do' list!

I found your review very interesting and can see why you would have difficulty handing it back!

I will get to hear one at some point - and I suspect that it is like hearing a Kandid for the first time and going home to the 'non Kandid' LP12 - it's nice to know what's out there, but also nice to appreciate what you can do with your own personal budget (which of course may, or may not be stretched)!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...