New Klimax System Hub

18 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

only problem has been can’t seem to get the Urika 2 to play when going via sub box into the hub rather than directly into the hub even though it sees the Urika?

First guess would be that you’ve missed something in the Exakt setup, so it’s a bit confused. However, the Hub is so new, it’s not outside the bounds of reason that it’s a firmware glitch.

Did NM set it all up using your Linn Account? Have you had a look using Konfig to see if that says something different?

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

still not mad on the looks

The black one is growing on me and the quality is stunning, it’s the extra height compared to the old one that still gets me.

’troll

21 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Well had a nice surprise today when Nigel from Peter Tyson dropped off a next gen hub so settling down to my first long listen, the most immediate effect is just more “airiness” and seems quieter noise floor than my KDSM kat. 

back to the music now. 🙂 but so far so good. 

I am so interested in your impressions of your LP12 with the NGKSH, and your Katalyst Klimax 350s. Please do report soon. Yours would be similar to mine except I have Akubariks, with the NGKSH on the way.

Ok just looked in Konfig ( thank you @Moomintroll, yes NM set it all up on my linn account as my laptop was very slow), and it now has an option to assign an exakt channel to the Urika 2 not seen this previously. 

now working perfectly from the LP12 via the sub box. Will feedback after listening in depth tomorrow  @akamatsu  

Edited by Coalboy68
Added more detail
  • Like 4

Ok hub returned to the shop this afternoon so back to the KDSM kat, which I use only as a hub as I am all exakt .

overall my impressions and opinions based on listening ( only blind tested in that I close my eyes when listening 🙂) are

1) as a streamer it is better than the KDSM, there is more air and space in the recordings giving a larger sound stage as a result very clear on tracks such as Heart mistral, or Neil Young down by the river.  Even on the sisters of mercy poison door the drum machine has a bit of extra nuance. Maybe a little tighter on the bass but the 350s already gave me that in spades. 

2) via HDMI fed from my oppo the DSD files now don’t miss the first couple of beats when they start which is a bit annoying for the KDSM kat so that’s a plus, and again the sound is more together.  I have never heard my Yes fragile sacd sound so good.

3) using the hub via WiFi, rather than hard wired, playing some of the above tracks at 192khz via Qobuz had no drop outs or sound deterioration which may give me some options for the room given the extra size of the hub and keeping the family happy. 

4) finally on the LP12 I found the leap not as great as streaming or hdmi for sure the next gen was better for piano, so less silibence and smearing at the high ends on Agnes Obel e.g. Riverside, switch to Rush and Xanadu I preferred the KDSM more foot tapping as was Joy Division Twenty Four hours.  Switch to Magnum Firebird and again the acoustic guitar and keyboards stand out and are clearer more precise on the next gen.  Finally back to the Sisters of mercy for the first side of First and Last and the next gen won out. But it was close. 

conclusions vinyl seemed a bit variable is it the recordings or are the benefits of the clock not so important in realms of the Urika 2. I don’t know but the streaming is well ahead. Overall an enjoyable 5 days with the hub. How much a 2020 KDSM kat would give some of the above benefits I can’t answer or those that said the DS was better than the DSM, but given what I heard for sure I am pressing the button.  

I just need to find out the current lead time.

Edited by Coalboy68
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

I just need to find out the current lead time.

It seems to be 15 weeks. Order now in time for Christmas.

’troll

• Like 1

I heard one in dealership yesterday - Impossible to say  how it differed from my home set-up as I don't have a forensic memory of my  own system as a reference. The system that I was listening to was very different to my own - end transducers being active Kudos Titan 707s. What I would say is that  the whole system - New Gen KDSM, Akurate Exaktbox-i (Kat) - Kudos Titan 707s was stunning. Most importantly for me, it was stunning with the AEB-iK in place - which is what I'd gone to listen to (and order). I still don't like the looks of it - I find the tripod foot arrangement unattractive - but the looks are academic for me as it is way  out of budget. Was it a great listen? - yes (I only heard Qobuz streamed data as a source). Personally though, irrespective of 'source first', with a decent source to start with, then I'd take the Titans !  Lead time was loosely discussed - I understand it to be as 'Troll says, order now for Christmas.

Altogether a pleasant experience - I cant possibly  say whether I'd choose it  over a 2018 or 2020 KDSM as  I have no point of reference.

Back to squeezing a Delos into the headshell of an Ekos 2 now...

Edited by Dasher
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

4) finally on the LP12 I found the leap not as great as streaming or hdmi for sure the next gen was better for piano, so less silibence and smearing at the high ends on Agnes Obel e.g. Riverside, switch to Rush and Xanadu I preferred the KDSM more foot tapping as was Joy Division Twenty Four hours.  Switch to Magnum Firebird and again the acoustic guitar and keyboards stand out and are clearer more precise on the next gen.  Finally back to the Sisters of mercy for the first side of First and Last and the next gen won out. But it was close. 

Thank you for this, very helpful. Your take is about what I would expect. Not a huge leap, rather, subtle but meaningful is what I'm getting. I will be upgrading from Akurate Exakt DSM, so a bigger improvement will be happening here.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As of Monday, I'm within the official delivery window of 10 to 12 weeks. We shall see if that holds up.

In the meantime, as we wait for our NG Klimax System Hubs, I was thinking about all the positive reviews on the streaming side. So for a DS based system, what would sound better, NGKSH and 530s, or an Akubarik System, which includes the Akurate System Hub? The system costs would be comparable.

I'm thinking the former would outperform.

Edited by akamatsu

Without having heard either, I’m inclined to agree, based on how much better the NGKSH is. I suspect @Flatcoatwill agree too, as, IIRC, he has the new hub with 530s. It puts me in mind of the, hypothetical, question I posed myself when I first heard a CD12 in my aktiv Kaber system. If I was starting again, would I go for a CD12 with amp and small speakers (probably Majik-I and Tukans at the time?) or Karik into an aktiv system?

It never happened, but CD12 every time.

’troll

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

As of Monday, I'm within the official delivery window of 10 to 12 weeks. We shall see if that holds up.

In the meantime, as we wait for our NG Klimax System Hubs, I was thinking about all the positive reviews on the streaming side. So for a DS based system, what would sound better, NGKSH and 530s, or an Akubarik System, which includes the Akurate System Hub? The system costs would be comparable.

I would definitely pick the former.  The new hub is on a whole level and the timing is also considerably improved.  However akamatsu your akubariks and new hub will sound stunning and is what I have been using for a few months now.

Edited by Suffolkboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Mine was installed this morning, eleven weeks and five days into that 10 to 12 week prediction.  First impressions are everything I expected from reading every word in every report I could find in my impatient wait!  The 2018 Klimax Hub that the new one replaced did an amazing job and is a superb product, but the new one outshines it in every department.  It's truly a revelation in what is achievable in this medium.  Well done Linn (and S. Campbell who built it!) and Neil from Hidden Systems who fine-tuned SO, leaving this lucky customer one happy bunny.  Sad for those customers who have to wait 15 weeks now.  But you're in for such a treat at the end of the wait.  Back to the music.

Vic.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Suffolkboy said:

I would definitely pick the former.  The new hub is on a whole level and the timing is also considerably improved.  However akamatsu your akubariks and new hub will sound stunning and is what I have been using for a few months now.

Our NG Klimax System Hub is due for install this Friday. Delivery was 12 weeks from order. The new hub will feed the Akubariks. After all the comments above we're looking forward to a new musical experience.

• Like 3

What level of architecture would be enjoyed if using an NGKSH with 530s? I'm not sure that I've fully grasped the concept as only thing of "NG" in hypothetical terms. What I do know though is that the "NG" front ended system I heard at the weekend could only access Katalyst level (via the Exaktbox -i). As far as I'm aware the 530s aren't even at Katalyst level and, although I too, back in the day, would have taken a CD 12 and then amps and speakers from lower down the range, I'm not so sure that holds true anymore. Everything that I read (and have heard) suggests to  me that in the digital world the architecture is a fundamental part of the system and that the total package has to build in this consideration.

Had you said "NGKSH, AEB-i and even maybe 140s and bases " (still cheaper than NGKSH + 530s) then I suspect that this is a winner. (Not for me personally as I'm not a fan of the multiple array tweeters - but that's just me (but the 140s could easily be substituted for Kudos Super 20s and not over run the budget by much)).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dasher said:

What level of architecture would be enjoyed if using an NGKSH with 530s? I'm not sure that I've fully grasped the concept as only thing of "NG" in hypothetical terms. What I do know though is that the "NG" front ended system I heard at the weekend could only access Katalyst level (via the Exaktbox -i). As far as I'm aware the 530s aren't even at Katalyst level and, although I too, back in the day, would have taken a CD 12 and then amps and speakers from lower down the range, I'm not so sure that holds true anymore. Everything that I read (and have heard) suggests to  me that in the digital world the architecture is a fundamental part of the system and that the total package has to build in this consideration.

Had you said "NGKSH, AEB-i and even maybe 140s and bases " (still cheaper than NGKSH + 530s) then I suspect that this is a winner. (Not for me personally as I'm not a fan of the multiple array tweeters - but that's just me (but the 140s could easily be substituted for Kudos Super 20s and not over run the budget by much)).

Right on Dasher!!!

I find it an odd question to compare 530’s to Akubariks. You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.

In this comparison, are the Akubariks passive with Organik Klimax ‘Exaktboxes and an Akurate Hub? It would be no contest, as this setup will humble the NGKSH and 530’s combo.

Are the Akubariks Exakt Katalyst compared to non-Katalyst 530’s? The Katalyst Akubariks will smoke the 530’s on every level

I have had the NGKDSM in my system, and can confidently say the NGKDSM/Hub will bring an excellent improvement in sound quality, and together with Katalyst Akubariks will likely please any owner. With the NGKSH and 530’s, I doubt it would please as many people.