New Klimax System Hub

Thanks for that @Baba Yaga - interesting!

Just to repeat what @akamatsu said earlier - I’ve always found a ripped CD to sound better than Qobuz streaming (or even a high-res download purchased from Qobuz and stored on the NAS). Why this should be I’ve no idea, I’ve spent many (un)happy hours trawling the web trying to find a definitive answer.

These days I’ve fallen into the habit of purchasing second hand CDs of old favourites from medimops.de.

PS @Baba Yaga’s link is very interesting - maybe this is the root of the problem…

Edited by Gussy
Added PS
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

No, logical, reason why it should be better or worse if they are from the same source. It all depends on what the music company have sent to Qobuz, which is not, necessarily, the same master that was used for the CD release you ripped.

’troll

I find there to be pretty wide variance in quality of recordings on Qobuz. Ripped CDs are just more consistent and more of a known quantity. I think this is the source of any bias that I may have. But I agree, no logical reason.

I've had my NGKSH for a few weeks now and am a little bemused by this thread.  I really have no idea which source sounds better because, to be frank, the quality of the music is so amazingly satisfying, so arresting - indeed, as I wrote earlier, addictive - that I can't be bothered to compare them. 

And if I needed further proof of the system's abilities, I attended my first long delayed live concert last week at Symphony Hall in Birmingham UK (with its world-class acoustics) hearing among other works, a favourite piece, Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony.  Of course, live music will always be special, but it's a measure of the system that what hits my ears with this equipment works its magic in just the same measure.  A system that doesn't disappoint after a great live concert is some system indeed.

Highly recommended, as they say.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gussy said:

Thanks for that @Baba Yaga - interesting!

Just to repeat what @akamatsu said earlier - I’ve always found a ripped CD to sound better than Qobuz streaming (or even a high-res download purchased from Qobuz and stored on the NAS). Why this should be I’ve no idea, I’ve spent many (un)happy hours trawling the web trying to find a definitive answer.

These days I’ve fallen into the habit of purchasing second hand CDs of old favourites from medimops.de.

PS @Baba Yaga’s link is very interesting - maybe this is the root of the problem…

I agree about ripped CD’s sounding better than Tidal or Qobuz. 

I tried Tidal again in my system earlier this year and it was not as good as the same songs from my own music library. I think Tidal has improved recently, but in the past, the timing was off, and the music was missing the dynamics and detail.

We don’t have Qobuz in Canada, but I was able to hear a lot of Qobuz on my travels through Europe a couple years ago, and it was better than Tidal at the time, but still not at the quality of ripped CD’s

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Gussy said:

I don't think you will find one as it isn't a matter of ripped CDs vs Qobuz, rather this recording vs that recording. I found some good quality Qobuz offerings and couldn't tell the difference between them and ripped CDs. There is such a wide range of recording qualities on Tidal/Qobuz. I've found some CD quality Qobuz albums to be more musical than some of their high-res albums.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, vicjayl said:

I've had my NGKSH for a few weeks now and am a little bemused by this thread.  I really have no idea which source sounds better because, to be frank, the quality of the music is so amazingly satisfying, so arresting - indeed, as I wrote earlier, addictive - that I can't be bothered to compare them. 

And when you don't compare, which would require one to listen to hifi, rather than music, you will enjoy the music more. At your level of hifi, it shouldn't matter the format, Tidal, Qobuz, ripped CD, LP, rather the original recording quality is what you are able to access. Just enjoy the music. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I don't think you will find one as it isn't a matter of ripped CDs vs Qobuz

Yes, that´s exactly what it is! I find that a CD rip will sound better than the exact same album/files streamed from whoever. Not very logical I know...

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I've found some CD quality Qobuz albums to be more musical than some of their high-res albums.

Yes, me too. The high-res files are most likely up-sampled from the CD.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Gussy said:

Yes, that´s exactly what it is! I find that a CD rip will sound better than the exact same album/files streamed from whoever. Not very logical I know...

Yes, me too. The high-res files are most likely up-sampled from the CD.

In some cases, I'm not able to tell the difference blind. This is enough to tell me that there isn't an inherent advantage of one over the other. In my system, I really think its a matter of what happened in the studio, and the quality of the process of getting the music into my house. This goes for all formats, including LP.

Yes, I have read that  upsampling  CDs to high-res has happened in some instances.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I just got a text from the dealer saying that my Klimax System Hub has shipped! Woohoo! :D

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Gussy said:

We want a full report!!!

Which you will get!:D

In the meantime, I have the album by Beck, "Morning Phase" ripped. I'll do a comparison with Qobuz. I also have it on LP, so a three way comparison may happen as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Dealer install, or are you able to collect and will you get your motors swapped over at the same time?

It will be a cash and carry transaction. The LP12 gets serviced at a different dealer. I do my best to keep things very separate. Ron at Definitive fettles the LP12 exclusively. I've had a longer standing relationship with Pearl Audio in Portland. I bought my Akubariks from them as they are rather generous with the trade-ins. It would've been impossible to move the 530s with the level of lockdown I was experiencing in Point Roberts.

Super Wammer

I selected from Beck's "Morning Phase" the song "Heart is a Drum."

In my queue, I have loaded three versions; Qobuz high-res, Tidal CD quality, and ripped CD. I have the queue on repeat and shuffle. It's been playing the same song over and over for a while now. I can't tell which version is playing. I've tried to figure it out, but find myself guessing. The good news is that they all sound great!

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 3