New Klimax System Hub

17 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I can't tell which version is playing.

I hope I have this correct. I’m sure Philip Hobbs, at Linn, once did an interesting presentation to some dealers about how we listen. IIRC, it involved playing a piece of music that he’d stitched together from 24bit, 16bit and MP3 versions. I think it started with 24bit and ended up at MP3. 
No one could hear where the changes occurred.

Can any of our contributing dealers shed any light?

’troll

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 21/09/2021 at 21:34, Moomintroll said:

I hope I have this correct. I’m sure Philip Hobbs, at Linn, once did an interesting presentation to some dealers about how we listen. IIRC, it involved playing a piece of music that he’d stitched together from 24bit, 16bit and MP3 versions. I think it started with 24bit and ended up at MP3. 
No one could hear where the changes occurred.

Can any of our contributing dealers shed any light?

’troll

Interesting, I remember my dealer (Speakers Corner) being visited by Ivor a few years ago. He did a comparison on the KDSM, first playing about 20 seconds of an MP3 file, then the same music in 16/44 and finally in 24/192. The difference was very obvious, with the piano sounding almost broken on the MP3 file.

• Like 2

We made the same demo at my dealer in the southwest of Germany (now retired).

Philip was the only one who heard the difference. In the second run he indicated the changes; than everyone but me heard the difference.

I think it‘s very hard to compare A/B directly. Sometimes 44kHz is more powerful than 192kHz.

At home I hear a clear difference only in the long run (ok, I also here differences in a direct A/B comparison, but without knowing the track it‘s hard to identify what is what).

And als always it depends. If a track is upsampled from 44kHz/16bit to 192kHz/24bit the 44kHz is often better because of less jitter.

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

Interesting, I remember my dealer (Speakers Corner) being visited by Ivor a few years ago. He did a comparison on the KDSM, first playing about 20 seconds of an MP3 file, then the same music in 16/44 and finally in 24/192. The difference was very obvious, with the piano sounding almost broken on the MP3 file.

I don’t think what I’m recalling was an A vs B vs C type dem, the music played as one track but the sample rates changed. See Ben Webster’s reply.

• Upvote 1

On 21/09/2021 at 19:35, akamatsu said:

I just got a text from the dealer saying that my Klimax System Hub has shipped! Woohoo! :D

Big time Michael ! 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Chris 1970 said:

Big time Michael ! 😀

So it was 16 weeks for a Klimax Hub…

Did your dealer talked with you about the delay for a new customer, and about the aluminum supply problem.

Just before you jumped in your car!!!!!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

So it was 16 weeks for a Klimax Hub…

Did your dealer talked with you about the delay for a new customer, and about the aluminum supply problem.

Just before you jumped in your car!!!!!

There have been delays at US Customs lately. Normally, the KSH would have already arrived at the shop.

But I have already waited 16 weeks, and I'm now more excited about the Radikal upgrade! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

and I'm now more excited about the Radikal upgrade! 😁

Linn must be happy to have us! 😁

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, akamatsu said:

There have been delays at US Customs lately. Normally, the KSH would have already arrived at the shop.

But I have already waited 16 weeks, and I'm now more excited about the Radikal upgrade! 😁

Edit: Apparently Linn are shipping updated Radikals as of now.

Edited by Tendaberry
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Super Wammer

The NG Klimax System Hub is at home now! It arrived in store last week Monday, but there was a broken seal on the box. Linn had to approve acceptance of the delivery before opening and inspecting. All was perfect inside.

I had back to back six hour driving days to collect, so I was rather beat once I got home yesterday late afternoon. I got things set up with little trouble. I had forgotten the bit about going into Kazoo and all that.

I won't say much now as I still need to formulate my impressions. Here are a few random observations:

I first put on Durutti Column, "Guitars and Other Machines" on Qobuz. Okay, I have a Klimax LP12. I heard things I'd never heard on the LP! And I was just casually listening whilst eating my Thai take-out.

Then to some more serious listening. I couldn't stop streaming. It was so musical, really a night and day improvement over the Akurate Exakt DSM that it replaced. It sounds much closer to a Klimax LP12 than AEDSM.

On to vinyl. I put on Madonna "Ray of Light." I had intended to just listen to one side to warm the LP12 up. Well, I ended up listening to the entire album. What a vast improvement. Mind you, I have a Urika II, so that would certainly factor in. I then played side one of Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter." Again, so much more music!

Overall, so far, this is a vast improvement over the AEDSM. I'm thrilled with the improvement listening to vinyl. On the DS side, it is an absolute game changer. It's hard to tell, but it may be better than the Klimax LP12 with AEDSM.

I'd love to hear a Klimax SH with a pair of Series 3 302s.

Michael

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Congratulations on your new purchase. It's been a long wait but its sounds like it's been all worthwhile - very enthusiastic, if initial, thoughts. I look forward to your further listening and extended views - in particular if you cement the view that the NGKSH surpasses your Klimax LP12 + AEDSM!

Clive

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, SeeSaw said:

Congratulations on your new purchase. It's been a long wait but its sounds like it's been all worthwhile - very enthusiastic, if initial, thoughts. I look forward to your further listening and extended views - in particular if you cement the view that the NGKSH surpasses your Klimax LP12 + AEDSM!

Clive

It's hard to tell, since the AEDSM is no longer around for comparison. I'm left with the impression that the Klimax SH is a viable alternative to an LP12, even a Klimax LP12. So much so that those who only listen to digital may want to reassess their systems and possibly rebuild around it. I'm thinking a KSH with 520s would be fantastic!

Hi all,

What would you guys upgrade first in my situation. Upgrade to klimax system hub or upgrade 350s to organik exakt from katalyst exakt. I’m having a hard time deciding which way to go first! Both upgrades are available from Linn now so I do not need to wait years for a particular upgrade to be available—- that’s making this decision more complicated for me. Thanks for your input in advance!

Ron

• Like 1

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, Ikemi said:

Hi all,

What would you guys upgrade first in my situation. Upgrade to klimax system hub or upgrade 350s to organik exakt from katalyst exakt. I’m having a hard time deciding which way to go first! Both upgrades are available from Linn now so I do not need to wait years for a particular upgrade to be available—- that’s making this decision more complicated for me. Thanks for your input in advance!

Ron

I think the dealers are still handing out some good trade in amounts for old Klimax DSM kit. I would look at that first. Here in the USA, Linn provided $7500 plus the dealers could keep and sell the traded in Klimax DSM. I'm not sure of the deal with the System Hubs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akamatsu said:

The NG Klimax System Hub is at home now! It arrived in store last week Monday, but there was a broken seal on the box. Linn had to approve acceptance of the delivery before opening and inspecting. All was perfect inside.

I had back to back six hour driving days to collect, so I was rather beat once I got home yesterday late afternoon. I got things set up with little trouble. I had forgotten the bit about going into Kazoo and all that.

I won't say much now as I still need to formulate my impressions. Here are a few random observations:

I first put on Durutti Column, "Guitars and Other Machines" on Qobuz. Okay, I have a Klimax LP12. I heard things I'd never heard on the LP! And I was just casually listening whilst eating my Thai take-out.

Then to some more serious listening. I couldn't stop streaming. It was so musical, really a night and day improvement over the Akurate Exakt DSM that it replaced. It sounds much closer to a Klimax LP12 than AEDSM.

On to vinyl. I put on Madonna "Ray of Light." I had intended to just listen to one side to warm the LP12 up. Well, I ended up listening to the entire album. What a vast improvement. Mind you, I have a Urika II, so that would certainly factor in. I then played side one of Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter." Again, so much more music!

Overall, so far, this is a vast improvement over the AEDSM. I'm thrilled with the improvement listening to vinyl. On the DS side, it is an absolute game changer. It's hard to tell, but it may be better than the Klimax LP12 with AEDSM.

I'd love to hear a Klimax SH with a pair of Series 3 302s.

Michael

Congrats Michael,

Just the first hours with your brand new Klimax hub, and the difference seems huge 😊

That’s terrific. Can’t wait for a longer review!

Personal message:
you are all talking and talking about the Urika II — see that man who lost his glasses and phone… — but I have to tell you, strongly:
« stop! » 🤪

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Like 1