New Klimax System Hub

Super Wammer

Another interesting observation, at least to me, is that since getting the KSH, I haven't been thinking about Organik hardly at all. I was considering Klimax 350s, but now I'm thinking after the Radikal 2, I'll just stay put for a while.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

This is interesting as I have found DSing to lack the bass that is present with the LP12. The KSH has brought the bass to a much closer musical level to the LP12.

Cool!  Not so much in my system though.  Bass has always been pretty good with the Klimax gear IMHO.  I think there are so many factors at play and outside of the hifi itself, the room and the mastering of the CD ripped and LP are at play.  I still can't figure out how red book rips can sound better than high res downloads.  Audio is one big personal experiment.  

Glad you made the step up with the Klimax DSM.  The Klimax gear is better than the other lines by far.   Linn is better than the rest, mostly.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Another interesting observation, at least to me, is that since getting the KSH, I haven't been thinking about Organik hardly at all. I was considering Klimax 350s, but now I'm thinking after the Radikal 2, I'll just stay put for a while.

One last thing and then onto house projects.  YES, vinyl is almost always better on a well setup higher level LP12.  So, I couldn't agree with you more.  If it's pre 1950s though that's different, I prefer that on cd ripped (I collect Jazz and Classical).  $78k on speakers or $78k on more music?  That's always my issue.  It's too big of a bite into an expensive habit; I own and buy a lot of vinyl (even with the ridiculous values now... everyone collects!).  Even on most recent recordings, I prefer vinyl.  

BTW, I'm told they are providing an upgrade kit for the existing Radikal chassis.  So, I'll upgrade that as well.

Maybe the new cartridge might be a really good option for you?  I bet it'll be stellar.  That said, I think I'm a Koetsu man now.  That Onyx Platinum was a HUGE upgrade from the Kandid, I don't think massive improvement is an understatement.  The real estate on Ekos SE is a little tight for the size, and you need the heavy counterweight, but it mates really well with the table and Urika II.  I was very apprehensive about moving out of the Linn world with the cartridge, probably wouldn't of if the new Linn cart was available at the time, but I'm glad I did and am not looking back.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

Thank you Paul!!!!!

i've re-read – a lot better it seems – the first tread, and discovered this one… You can see my likes and Up in the order of my progress 😀

I have to say that Troll wrote some nice ones too 😊

Well done!

The conclusion – that can't exist of course – seems that we are in a 50/50 improvement, with a hub "do it first" because it's the logic of the source and the logic of the money (1 vs 2 upgrades).

Tell me if I didn't understand 😀

Thank you Chris

Yes, I agree with you to do the Hub first.  😊

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thank you Chris

Yes, I agree with you to do the Hub first.  😊

So do you? 😉

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 21/09/2021 at 08:12, vicjayl said:

I've had my NGKSH for a few weeks now and am a little bemused by this thread.  I really have no idea which source sounds better because, to be frank, the quality of the music is so amazingly satisfying, so arresting - indeed, as I wrote earlier, addictive - that I can't be bothered to compare them.

On 08/10/2021 at 09:52, akamatsu said:

From someone who listens to a Klimax LP12, the NG KSH is right up there musically. This is not from any direct comparison. Comparing them seems rather ridiculous. I put on some DS music, and I just get lost in the music. I don't think about hifi and how this compares to that. It's just a wonderful musical experience. At times, I lost track of what I was listening to; digital or analogue.

I was reading through earlier comments to see how close they were to my current KSH experience. I stumbled upon @vicjayl's comment and was reminded of mine.

Right now, I'm listening to The Durutti Column "Amigos em Portugal" via Qobuz. I have the LP, and recall not being so keen on it. It still isn't exactly the style of music I prefer, but now there is something about the sound that has me hooked. I'll give the LP a spin later. This should be interesting.

• Like 2

You are right.

Benchmark products can drive you where you didn’t go before.

Your comment remains to me the second time I listened to the Komris at my dealer, back in 2001. The first time was all about being blown away by the sound of our well known CDs.

The second time, a CD had been left in the player from a precedent session. I just arrived in the shop, and we talked during the time my dealer was turning on the system.

Then, the sound caught us, at the same time: «That’s excellent!» 

After a couple of minutes of this orchestral part, the singer began. At that time, we said «ho, it’s him… really not my cup of tea!».

Then we reacted together, as we were surprised: «These speakers can make you love everything that pass across, that’s insane!??»

The object of hifi is to open the window, and give you the keys for musics that you didn’t know or you thought were not for you… It’s not only to play better what you already love (even if it’s really good of course!)

Years after, these discoveries are a part of us. It’s done.

Some products in audio can give you a real jump in that quest 😊

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

So do you? 😉

The NGKSH is the next item on my wish list for upgrades

‘I am also looking forward to seeing when Linn releases Organik DAC’s for Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6 and the Akurate Exaktbox I 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Pardon me as I keep going on and on about the KSH.

Last night's listening session was very interesting in that I experienced an improvement in sound quality. I listened to one album via Qobuz, then spun a few LPs. DS was great. However, vinyl sounded incredible! I couldn't get over the level on rendering of the music. It really did sound like a whole different system. I'm thinking that the change may have occurred with me, and not with the system. That is, I'm adapting to the sound.

I'm getting closer to declaring the NG KSH as the biggest improvement to my system yet. Of course, this is with all the other upgrades  already in place. And coming from Akurate level.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I was reading through earlier comments to see how close they were to my current KSH experience. I stumbled upon @vicjayl's comment and was reminded of mine.

Right now, I'm listening to The Durutti Column "Amigos em Portugal" via Qobuz. I have the LP, and recall not being so keen on it. It still isn't exactly the style of music I prefer, but now there is something about the sound that has me hooked. I'll give the LP a spin later. This should be interesting.

Yes indeed.   Especially for someone like me who gave up on vinyl some time ago, trading in my LP12 (and discs) for digital streaming.  I must say, I haven't missed it - and now the NGKDSM is delivering the best sounding music I have ever heard outside of a live concert.

I will add that something else I don't miss when I choose a piece of music is the vagaries of pressings, surface noise and cleanliness, etc.  Heresy for some, I know, but real for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Just now, vicjayl said:

Yes indeed.   Especially for someone like me who gave up on vinyl some time ago, trading in my LP12 (and discs) for digital streaming.  I must say, I haven't missed it - and now the NGKDSM is delivering the best sounding music I have ever heard outside of a live concert.

I will add that something else I don't miss when I choose a piece of music is the vagaries of pressings, surface noise and cleanliness, etc.  Heresy for some, I know, but real for me.

At this point, I can almost say that the only source that beats DS on a NG Klimax DSM is a Klimax LP12 and a NG Klimax DSM.

My experience with Durutti Column album was opposite of what I had been experiencing. That is, usually, I'd hear music on Qobuz knowing that the LP would sound better. In this case, a Klimax LP12/AEDSM didn't give me the level of access to the music as did DS on KSH. I still haven't revisited the album on LP. Again, should be interesting.

And comparing this source to that is still ridiculous. It's all good music.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vicjayl said:

I suspect that if the original Klimax DS could have delivered what this one does, then, I too, may well have dispensed with my LP12. Certainly, I wouldn’t have taken it to Klimax level. However, since it didn’t, we are where we are and I’m glad to have the option. Not to mention I have vinyl which never made it to CD, therefore isn’t available to stream either.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
On 10/10/2021 at 08:57, Jeff R said:

One last thing and then onto house projects.  YES, vinyl is almost always better on a well setup higher level LP12.  So, I couldn't agree with you more.  If it's pre 1950s though that's different, I prefer that on cd ripped (I collect Jazz and Classical).  $78k on speakers or $78k on more music?  That's always my issue.  It's too big of a bite into an expensive habit; I own and buy a lot of vinyl (even with the ridiculous values now... everyone collects!).  Even on most recent recordings, I prefer vinyl.  

BTW, I'm told they are providing an upgrade kit for the existing Radikal chassis.  So, I'll upgrade that as well.

Maybe the new cartridge might be a really good option for you?  I bet it'll be stellar.  That said, I think I'm a Koetsu man now.  That Onyx Platinum was a HUGE upgrade from the Kandid, I don't think massive improvement is an understatement.  The real estate on Ekos SE is a little tight for the size, and you need the heavy counterweight, but it mates really well with the table and Urika II.  I was very apprehensive about moving out of the Linn world with the cartridge, probably wouldn't of if the new Linn cart was available at the time, but I'm glad I did and am not looking back.  

For me, it's like old vinyl habits die hard. I thought I'd be listening to more DS and less LP12 with the KSH. I'm now llistening to more of both!

I did a price check on your cartridge. Wow! I'll bet it sounds wonderful. For now, my next cartridge is planned to be the Ekstatik. But the Kandid is only 15 months old. So I have some time to save up my pennies.

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I suspect that if the original Klimax DS could have delivered what this one does, then, I too, may well have dispensed with my LP12. Certainly, I wouldn’t have taken it to Klimax level. However, since it didn’t, we are where we are and I’m glad to have the option. Not to mention I have vinyl which never made it to CD, therefore isn’t available to stream either.

’troll

Not so fast my friend! You still have a Radikal 2 on the way! :D

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Here is an interesting observation. Listening to DS, then to the LP12, I thought that the timing of DS was better, and was more accurate and therefore more musical;

Enter Radikal 2!

It seems to me that Linn could be aware of this. Hmmmm.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1