New Klimax System Hub

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Yeah, OK, mea culpa. Can’t see me going beyond a Kandid, though. (Now you can point out that I said that about the NG box…)

’troll

Do not go beyond Kandid! Spending that much on a cartridge is insane, let alone more than that. Unless it's a Koetsu Onyx Platinum. :D

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

I shall remind you of that at the appropriate time… :pop:

I don't recall ever making any claims as to my own sanity. :D

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Here is an interesting observation. Listening to DS, then to the LP12, I thought that the timing of DS was better, and was more accurate and therefore more musical;

Enter Radikal 2!

It seems to me that Linn could've been aware of this. Hmmmm.

Radikal 2 is there for that 😊 and I smell the NG Urika II too, to do the complete electronic loop of the LP12…
It's just me, no info!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

Radikal 2 is there for that 😊 and I smell the NG Urika II too, to do the complete electronic loop of the LP12…
It's just me, no info!

In my system, any limitations with the LP12, the pressing, or the recording show up rather clearly. At this point, I'm thinking that Radikal 2 may be necessary if you are using the NG Klimax DSM (system hub).

We'll see about the NG Urika 2 (Urika 3). It seems that with FPGA and the new PCB layout technique, enough improvement could be made to warrant a new product.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 12/10/2021 at 03:10, Moomintroll said:

I’ve had periods in the past where I haven’t played much vinyl

I might be entering one of those periods. (not really)

Let me explain. Last night, I decided to listen a couple of more modern recordings that I know to be excellent on LP. I streamed them on Qobuz. These were Beck "Hyperspace," and Kate Bush "Director's Cut." Was it better than the LP? I don't know because I didn't care. It was so good on it's own. Again, a comparison would be ridiculous. I remember Gilad saying in a recent interview that the choice between LP and DS could be made based on when the album was recorded. More recent recordings would be best enjoyed DSing. I did try out Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" on Qobuz. Even though it was a hi-res file, not good. The LP would be the way to listen.

Here is an irony that I noticed. In order for the Klimax LP12 to better the Klimax DSM, one would need a Klimax DSM to go with the LP12. Klimax LP12 into an Akurate DSM won't do it.

Finally, what would be the cutoff year for when recordings went digital, and would be better DSed than LPed? I know this is a very fuzzy line, but perhaps we could bring it into better focus. It seems that the 1980s was the big transition decade.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I might be entering one of those periods. (not really)

Let me explain. Last night, I decided to listen a couple of more modern recordings that I know to be excellent on LP. I streamed them on Qobuz. These were Beck "Hyperspace," and Kate Bush "Director's Cut." Was it better than the LP? I don't know because I didn't care. It was so good on it's own. Again, a comparison would be ridiculous. I remember Gilad saying in a recent interview that the choice between LP and DS could be made based on when the album was recorded. More recent recordings would be best enjoyed DSing. I did try out Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" on Qobuz. Even though it was a hi-res file, not good. The LP would be the way to listen.

Here is an irony that I noticed. In order for the Klimax LP12 to better the Klimax DSM, one would need a Klimax DSM to go with the LP12. Klimax LP12 into an Akurate DSM won't do it.

Finally, what would be the cutoff year for when recordings went digital, and would be better DSed than LPed? I know this is a very fuzzy line, but perhaps we could bring it into better focus. It seems that the 1980s was the big transition decade.

I wouldn't put the line in the 80s.

In my experience of new recordings, first half of 90s was the golden age of CD:

– digital technology was mature in studio (not at home),
– quality of sound engineers was still there (but not at the level of 50, 60, 70s)
– compression in the mastering was not yet the magical idea (read: stupid)
– Auto-tune didn't exist (read: arggggggg…)

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Chris 1970 said:

I wouldn't put the line in the 80s.

In my experience of new recordings, first half of 90s was the golden age of CD:

– digital technology was mature in studio (not at home),
– quality of sound engineers was still there (but not at the level of 50, 60, 70s)
– compression in the mastering was not yet the magical idea (read: stupid)
– Auto-tune didn't exist (read: arggggggg…)

Early 1990s is when Peter Gabriel recorded "Us" using the Linn Numerik. I'll have to stream this one at full volume this evening.

Wonderful insight Chris! Merci

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

It is often suggested by obsessive record collectors that 1973 (ish) is the date when the rot set in. Allegedly, post the early 70's worldwide oil crisis, it became too expensive to stick to the old receipt for vinyl and new formulas were used containing cheaper, and lesser quality materials. Also the LP,s became thinner as less material was used. Seems logical, but might be just "things were better in the old days" theory again. lots of Jazz/Classical LP collectors follow this idea like a religion.

• Like 1

Fortunately there are quite a few lp's made after 1973, that sound really good. Even the thin and flexible RCA Dynaflex lp's introduced in 1969 sound really good, so the vinyl weight/thickness isn't everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Fallguy said:

Hey guys,

yestarday i ordered a ngksh in black. Delivery in about 12 weeks 😭

If your order could push mine out of the factory…🙄

Congratulations 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
23 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Early 1990s is when Peter Gabriel recorded "Us" using the Linn Numerik. I'll have to stream this one at full volume this evening.

I happen to have a ripped CD of the 1990s original recording. I compared it to the remastered version on Qobuz at 24/96.

It was very much like comparing the two masterings on LP. The later remaster is very much my preference. It has very noticeably bigger and fuller sound.

• Like 1