Super Wammer

The gushing continues. Someone did point out to me that this is a forum, so what the heck. :D

Evening last, I gave the LP12 the night off and had an all DS listening session. Qobuz wasn't behaving so it was Tidal's turn to shine. Listened to Franco Battiato's "Anthology." I was absolutely amazed at how different was the experience of listening to Franco B.'s wonderful music. Just so much more access, a much stronger connection to the artist. It made me realize that I have available to me so much music at a level that was previously available only on LP via a Klimax LP12. Enter the golden age.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

You will be astounded (blown away)! :D

I know. My dealer came to me with a ngkdsm and we try it in my livingroom. The ng klimax is awsome. No chance for the old devices,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

I know. My dealer came to me with a ngkdsm and we try it in my livingroom. The ng klimax is awsome. No chance for the old devices,

In that case, 12 weeks may seem like 12 months. :D I've had mine for a week, and there is certainly no going back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

Alright guys, I'm officially the latest victim.  The order went in this afternoon!

Let the countdown commence.

I think that your system will be very telling of the impact that a source upgrade can have.

Congratulations! (again) :D

On 15/10/2021 at 12:58, wildwildWes said:

@sunbeamgls  In the hifi desert of Ottawa, demos are not possible.  Dealers near and far do not get expensive demo units because...  I don't know.  If I could hear a demo I would be on it like white on rice.  

That's why I ask those more experienced listeners.  @kelly200269  There is consensus that it's worth it for Exaktified Akubariks and 350s, but for lesser speakers I'm not sure yet.  Not doubting anybody that's already expressed their opinion, but I want as wide a sample as possible.

I have demoed the new NGKDSM with a variety of speakers, including Organik 350’s, my own Katalyst Akubariks, Katalyst Akudoriks and PMC Fact8 Signatures. In all cases it was a significant improvement in sound quality.

‘The sales guys at one of my Linn dealers is using the NGKDSM to demo many other brands of passive speakers at the shop, as it is now their preference for a demo streamer

Congratulations on your new purchase 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

The sales guys at one of my Linn dealers is using the NGKDSM to demo many other brands of passive speakers at the shop, as it is now their preference for a demo streamer

Doesn’t surprise me at all. If you want to hear how good the speakers really can sound, use the best source. Many will still think our gushing enthusiasm for the KDSM/3 (and variants) is just hyperbole as we are all die hard Linn fans, but to me it’s just “less hifi, more music”

’troll

• Like 5

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Doesn’t surprise me at all. If you want to hear how good the speakers really can sound, use the best source. Many will still think our gushing enthusiasm for the KDSM/3 (and variants) is just hyperbole as we are all die hard Linn fans, but to me it’s just “less hifi, more music”

’troll

In my experience, the sound of a speaker is determined more by the signal it is fed than by the speaker itself.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

Is there any reason other than aesthetic preference or use-model, to buy a new Klimax System Hub versus the previous version which some may prefer the look of but is certainly a cheeper option?

In my case, Klimax LP12, Klimax Kontrol with Klimax Twins driving Active Isobariks (the penultimate PMS version with external passive crossover, which of course I do not use). I will likely move to a Urika II so the Sytem Hub is just a computer, no analog function needed.

Thoughts?

Edited by Chris Morton

10 minutes ago, Chris Morton said:

Hi Everyone,

Is there any reason other than aesthetic preference or use-model, to buy a new Klimax System Hub versus the previous version which some may prefer the look of but is certainly a cheeper option?

In my case, Klimax LP12, Klimax Kontrol with Klimax Twins driving Active Isobariks (the penultimate PMS version with external passive crossover, which of course I do not use). I will likely move to a Urika II so the Sytem Hub is just a computer, no analog function needed.

Thoughts?

The new Klimax System Hub sounds so much better than its predecessor. Added to that, the new system clock in it improves the Urika II. However, you appear to have a fully analogue system and the Hub(s) do not have any analogue outputs. They are intended for use in an Exakt system, either with Exaktbox crossovers or integrated Exakt speakers.

’troll

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Chris Morton said:

Hi Everyone,

Thoughts?

As mentioned the Urika II and System Hub will not work in your system as there are is no DAC and no analog outputs.  If you really want the Urika II you would want a Klimax DS with Katalyst which would give you streaming and the DAC and analog outputs needed to connect to your Klimax Kontrol.  Or with a Klimax DSM with Organik if you want to take it to the next level.  Neither is a cheap solution but they would work.  Otherwise you can go with a Urika 1, if you don't already have one.  Or better than either of the above, in my opinion, would be the Lejonklou Entity 1.1 MC phono stage.

5 minutes ago, Chris Morton said:

I suppose my post misses out an obvious but key piece of information which is that I would move to a Klimax Exaktbox to replace my current Linn Aktiv. I am also considering a Urika II, hence the computer reference ...

Yes, that would have helped…

In that case, as I said above, the new Hub is much better than the old Hub and also improves the Urika II. A demo will easily answer your question.

’troll

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

As mentioned the Urika II and System Hub will not work in your system as there are is no DAC and no analog outputs.  If you really want the Urika II you would want a Klimax DS with Katalyst which would give you streaming and the DAC and analog outputs needed to connect to your Klimax Kontrol.  Or with a Klimax DSM with Organik if you want to take it to the next level.  Neither is a cheap solution but they would work.  Otherwise you can go with a Urika 1, if you don't already have one.  Or better than either of the above, in my opinion, would be the Lejonklou Entity 1.1 MC phono stage.

Thanks Thomas. I realize without my follow up post my question was not really too clear. I already have a Urika 1 so if I went with a system hub into an Exaktbox I would not need any analog functions (ADC) at the system hub level, hence my 'computer' reference. 

Whichever way I go the Klimax Kontrol and the Aktiv Isobarik crossover will be removed from the system. Just have to decide the right path (last generation KSH or new one).

Makes sense that an improved clock in the new KSH would help the sound of a Urika II, I assume because the clock signal is passed to the Urika II's electronics from KSH (thanks Moomintroll).

• Like 2

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, Chris Morton said:

I suppose my post misses out an obvious but key piece of information which is that I would move to a Klimax Exaktbox to replace my current Linn Aktiv. I am also considering a Urika II, hence the computer reference ...

Hello Chris,

I've had the NG Klimax System Hub for 17 days. I came from an Akurate Exakt DSM. So I must qualify everything I say with that fact. I'm glad @Moomintroll was able to give you the old Klimax to new Klimax perspective.

The NG Klimax DSM (hub) is so good. I have a Klimax LP12. I would say that the NG KSH is better streaming digital than the Klimax LP12 into the AEDSM. Also, the only thing that would beat the NG KSH streaming is the same with a Klimax LP12, and even that might just be a matter of personal preference.  This is a huge revelation that may take time to become conventional wisdom. But I think it will. I would go so far as to say that a Linn system with the NG KSH will out perform any Linn system without a NG KDSM. Again, qualified as I came from Akurate level.

I would recommend that anyone serious about all this and that has the means to get into a NG Klimax DSM. I would even say sell everything, and get the Klimax hub with a pair of 520s, 530s (used would be the real bargain). The NG KDSM is a paradigm shift.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2