New Klimax System Hub

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

But there are too many variables such as the mood of the listener to draw any conclusions.

You say it… The mood of the listener is a part of the "sound".
In fact, it's insane how it's important 🙄

But we can also say that the very best source can reduce a little the mood factor.
I began – just today – to experience that for the first time I think, with the (in burn-in) Klimax hub and Organik:
in the middle of work, stress and so on, I launched some music loud in the background during one hour.
It has been capable to catch me so easily all the session. Very bad mood when I came in the room, a lot less after!

The reason should be –  as you say many times about this hub since, Michael –  WHAT A TIMING! 😊

• Like 2

Super Wammer

@Chris 1970,

I think my mood may have been affected by this. I spent the previous night in Whistler, BC. 

A023ADB5-750D-41E7-8690-020A46EEFDA0.jpeg

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Sometimes an extreme example is needed to demonstrate a point. If one played a Rega P1 through a Rega phono amp through a NG Klimax DSM, imagine that the limitations of the Rega P1 would be manifest.

So, if I understand correctly, the phrase "too revealing" means "doing too effectively the job it was designed to do given the front end that I'm currently using."  Following that logic I suppose the position would then be, "unless I can get the best front end available, I wouldn't get the best DSM product available because it wouldn't show my system at its best."  Fair enough I suppose. 

On the other hand, you could take the view that even though the NG Klimax DSM would reveal the limitations of my current front end, it would give me access to the best that hi-rez streaming has to offer, and get the very best available in that meduium. 

When I took the decision to throw in my lot with the latter (and trade in my LP12 and records), I knew that I was losing access to the gamble of getting a superior vinyl version of a particular piece of music in a very variable medium, in favour of consistent and remarkable sound reproduction every time.  Now I choose music for the music, not how well I think it will reproduce.  I have not regretted the decision for a minute. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
Super Wammer

Credit card bill was due yesterday. I finally paid for the NG Klimax DSMH. Now I can really enjoy it! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

Hi all. Today i got a late christmas gift. My NGKSH arrives at the dealer and now its on my rack. Nice. 

I too went from Akurate Hub (EDSM) to NG Klimax. Have fun!  We await your impressions. Gushing is appropriate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if the remote has the "i" button, but if you can cycle through it, it may give you what you need.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

I am a little late to this party but can offer my thoughts on the original topic of Next Gen Klimax System Hub/3 (KDSM/3/SH) versus Klimax System Hub/2 (KDSM/2/SH).

I arranged for a demo on my own system (Klimax Exaktbox Katalyst, 2 x Klimax Twin, Kudos Titan 707) swapping out the Klimax System Hub only. It was hard to imagine how we would hear that much difference given the role of the System Hub in the system merely to stream content via Exakt-link.

However, pretty much from the first note of the first tune we were blown away, we looked at each other with jaws dropped. Honestly the upgrade was a simple decision to make. So much more detail and space and mostly the sense you could really hear and visualise HOW the players were playing, the emotion, plucking or strumming, decays, interactions of background vocalists etc. At times it was almost too much to take in and a little disconcernting but a presentation you soon acclimatise to.

I have upgraded a lot over the years from Aktiv LK100s driving Keilidhs always noting how upgrades to the front end first and foremost provided the most significant improvements time and time again, hence keeping the Keilidhs for 30+ years, but this is by far the most significant uplift I have experienced. 

It makes no sense but it is true.

We then replaced the Exaktbox Katalyst with Organik. There was definitely another shift of improvement but nowhere near to the same level as replacing the System Hub. Exaktly the opposite of what we were expecting. Nevertheless I felt the improvements were enough to warrant the upgrade to Organik as well. (Note my previous upgrade to Katalyst was a way bigger one than from Katalyst to Organik though).

More recently now everything is run-in have fine tuned my SO+ and got everything really locked in. Super happy. Happy enough to reward Linn with a purchase of 4 x Klimax Solos to replace the 2 x Twins.   I was only able to compare a used set of non-Dynamik Solos against Dynamik Twins and there was a noticeable improvement, in particular to sound stage depth on female vocals. Looking forward to getting the new Dynamik versions installed.

I wish Linn would come up with a modern Keilidh 2 or 3-way design but the Kudos are a beautiful to look at as they are to listen to.

Edited by hashluck
  • Like 7

On 11/11/2021 at 08:56, vicjayl said:

On the other hand, you could take the view that even though the NG Klimax DSM would reveal the limitations of my current front end, it would give me access to the best that hi-rez streaming has to offer, and get the very best available in that meduium. 

When I took the decision to throw in my lot with the latter (and trade in my LP12 and records), I knew that I was losing access to the gamble of getting a superior vinyl version of a particular piece of music in a very variable medium, in favour of consistent and remarkable sound reproduction every time.  Now I choose music for the music, not how well I think it will reproduce.  I have not regretted the decision for a minute. 

I also traded in my LP12 and Klimax Radikal to make this move. I have kepy my vinyl since I may get an LP12 again when I retire and have more time, but for now I have zero regreats.

• Like 3

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, hashluck said:

However, pretty much from the first note of the first tune we were blown away, we looked at each other with jaws dropped. Honestly the upgrade was a simple decision to make. So much more detail and space and mostly the sense you could really hear and visualise HOW the players were playing, the emotion, plucking or strumming, decays, interactions of background vocalists etc. At times it was almost too much to take in and a little disconcernting but a presentation you soon acclimatise to.

Perfectly stated. My experience exactly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/01/2022 at 17:15, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Dunno if the remote has the "i" button, but if you can cycle through it, it may give you what you need.

The button exist, but not the display setting

53 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

The button exist, but not the display setting

Linn state (in their DEV forum)  that for the Next Generation systems, they currently don't support additional time displays and the like due to the nature of the OLED panel used. It might "burn in".

I certainly had the display on my ADSM dim after 6 or so years of usage, exaktly where the "three dots" are that are used to depict standby. Luckily, Linn were kind enough to replace the worn display at no extra cost when going Katalyst :)

• Like 1