New Klimax System Hub

31 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

With the new clock running at femto-seconds, it’ll be interesting to see what it makes of cables used for Exaktlinks which aren’t the recommended CAT5/6.

I think it will be the same effect as now. The timing will be thrown off and the tune will suffer accordingly.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Master clock is in the DS(M) - it doesn’t matter how the Exakt devices are connected. So, if Urika II is plugged into a speaker, it still gets its reference clock from the Master.

With the new clock running at femto-seconds, it’ll be interesting to see what it makes of cables used for Exaktlinks which aren’t the recommended CAT5/6.

’troll

Hmm,

just wondering how that synchronization works.

Let‘s assume we have an exakt link cable of 2m length. It takes about 6.7 nanoseconds for the electric impuls to cross that distance (more or less at the speed of light).

1 nanosecond = 1.000.000 femtoseconds.

So it takes about 6.7 mio Femtoseconds (or about 6.7 mio ticks of the master clock) for that distance between Master and slave clock.

Will it just synchronize every now and then?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wickie8166 said:

In digital systems the clock is absolutely crucial. LINN was one of the first with the NUMERIK as an external clock for the KARIK CD Player. I still use the KARIK with a MUTEC MC3+ USB which works here as a reclocking system. The sound improvement is remarkable. MUTEC has launched the Ref 10 -  a 10 MHz Clock for about 3.5K€ with excellent recommendations.
So I wonder how the signal from the URIKA 2 could take profit from the NGKSH Clock. Maybe there's a difference whether you connect it into the NGKSH first, instead of setting it into the EXAKT Chain via the Speaker-Inputs?

Maybe it makes the turntable sound like its running at 33.333333rpm rather than just 33.333rpm ;)

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2021 at 22:53, TooManyCatweazles said:

would a New Klimax Hub into the Akurate Exaktbox sound better than my KRDSM (only used as hub) into a Klimax Exaktbox?

I had a phone call with my dealer, and asked him the question above. He was very interested to research this, as soon as the opportunity arises. Hopefully, I have a chance to check this with my own ears one day. The answer is definitely worth a few hours of my time to drive to Kiel. My old scientist self is too curious ;-)

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 05/05/2021 at 19:21, Paulssurround said:

Great to see you on the Forum and was wonderful to meet you.

Yes it was a serendipitous meeting in Cologne, when you joined Alex and I for dinner 

‘Next thing we knew, we were at your home doing Space Optimisation  😊

Yes that was a great evening. My favorite part was when you had figured out the optimal configuration, you played Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed, cranked the system up to 70+ and told the "doop doop girls" to leave the speakers and join you. Brilliant. I have never put the system to more than 60... ;-) and we did that late in the evening. The neighbors never complained so they must have liked it too. ;-)

BTW, I recently dumped the power line ethernet and connected the ASH directly to the router. So much better.

Good luck with your home renovations and the KDSM at home! :-) Looking forward to the reports...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, berni said:

Yes that was a great evening. My favorite part was when you had figured out the optimal configuration, you played Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed, cranked the system up to 70+ and told the "doop doop girls" to leave the speakers and join you. Brilliant. I have never put the system to more than 60... ;-) and we did that late in the evening. The neighbors never complained so they must have liked it too. ;-)

BTW, I recently dumped the power line ethernet and connected the ASH directly to the router. So much better.

Good luck with your home renovations and the KDSM at home! :-) Looking forward to the reports...

Thanks Berni

Great to hear all is sounding well, and you are making modifications to get better performance.

Linn just sounds so good when it is dialed in well. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2021 at 12:17, vicjayl said:

I have just listened to the  Saint-Saens Organ Symphony (Louis Fremaux CBSO) through a borrowed Klimax Hub into my 242s active with Exactbox and Akurate amps. I'll surpress the gush - but wow!  I've known this music, and this version since my first piece of "hi-fi", but the Klimax produced something of an epiphany. (Okay, I gushed.)

This is a serious bit of kit indeed, to my ears.   It will feed active Akurariks when built and delivered (four week wait, I'm told.) Not sure what to expect from the Akubariks - more of the same but with a little more focus and detail prerhaps(?)

Once again, great service from Hidden Systems (and Neil's set-up skills and advice.)  Best wishes to Chris Fuller, who will hopefully soon be parking his super motorbike on my drive to tweak my Space Optimisation with his magic touch.

Vic.

Day 11 – Tuesday morning, and no, I hadn’t dreamt it: there they are, a Klimax System Hub next to all black (mat) Akubariks, in front of which last evening a life-long pursuit of musical nirvana achieved something of a sense of arrival. (Over the top? Hang in there.)

Eleven days ago I was told that my order for integrated Akubariks to replace my 242s and stack of black boxes would take around four weeks. Then last Friday, James at Hidden Systems told me that much to his surprise, my ordered speakers had arrived and could they be delivered and installed next Monday? Reader, I’ll leave you to imagine my reaction.

As always, the installation and set-up had that sense of conjured alchemy, as the most esoteric of music (to my ears) guided the system set-up to its peak as Neil manipulated that incredible software that is Sound Optimisation. I have to say that as service goes, from build and supply at Linn, through delivery and set up by Hidden Systems, service doesn’t get much better that this. Thanks a million to everyone in that chain.

In passing, I can’t see a name on the Akubariks, but I remember on my visit to Glasgow, seeing thank-you cards pinned up at individual work stations. There are a few hands at that place I’d like to shake, that’s for sure.

Exciting as set-up is, it’s the period after clearing away packaging and coffee cups, and the hardly adequate expressions of parting thanks, that the day is really about. My test tracks now have their say. Brief blasts from the Berlin Philharmonic (Karajan); some small and some large scale choral music; Glen Gould and his humming accompaniment; Joan Armatrading, Ry Cooder and Fleetwood Mac, for samples.

But then, as for the Klimax experience mentioned above, I turned to the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony, Louis Fremaux and the CBSO. I never find it easy to turn music into words: soundstage, imagery, “space around the instruments” and such, and the degrees to which they are achieved don’t quite get to the heart of the matter somehow. And anyway at this level ought to be taken for granted perhaps.

To my ears, what this system does for a piece of music so familiar to me was summed up by my wife’s comment: it has a sense of easy, natural cohesion. (And she rarely comments while knitting away at my next sleeveless pullover.) What it does is create that sense of cohesion, of harmony and natural balance of musical forces and their interactions which just feel so right. It shifts attention from what the system is doing to the music, to what the music is doing to you. It is, to a most marked degree, the closest that I have experienced to being in my favourite seat at Symphony Hall Birmingham, that world class musical venue with its amazing acoustic (and aesthetic) properties. And when it comes down to it, isn’t that what our audio reproduction is really all about?

As the light faded in our living room, a light blue haze appeared on the wall about the Akubariks. It looked for all the world like a halo. And (despite this writer’s rationalism) it felt so appropriate to an amazing musical experience from this remarkable kit.

Edited by vicjayl
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Great write up @vicjayl if anyone thinks we’re all going over the top with glowing accolades, they really owe it to themselves to hear it. I don’t think Linn are overplaying it at all.

’troll

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

My listening thoughts on KDSM/3 as a system hub and as an Organik source:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2021/05/product-review-linns-next-generation.html?m=1

Edited by sunbeamgls

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

My listening thoughts on KDSM/3 as a system hub and as an Organik source:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2021/05/product-review-linn-next-generation.html

The link isn't working properly.

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

The link isn't working properly.

There's a problem, working on resolving it, apologies

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Sunbeam, this is so brilliant!!! Thanks for helping me finding an argumentation in ordering a new KEDSM:D

• Haha 1

@sunbeamgls wrote in his blog: “its not crazy expensive when compared to luxury products, per se”

Which brings to mind an article on BBC yesterday, reporting on the rumour of Jeff Bezos having a superyacht built for a reputed £350m - and that doesn’t include the “support” yacht housing the helipad and other toys!

No, it’s not “crazy” expensive, just expensive.

’troll