Superiority of Moode over Picoreplayer

I have been running my recently acquired Raspberry pi media player using Picoreplayer over LMS for a couple of weeks now. I thought the sound was excellent. Last night, I set up Moode on a spare Microsd card to try, again using LMS. I was expecting to hear very little difference.Wow, I really wasn't prepared for the level of improvement. So much more clarity in every area. I really, really recommend this sofware. I can't believe how good my system is now sounding with streaming.

• Like 3

Hi all, first time poster. Can't agree enough with the OP on how good moode is. I always thought Chromecast audio sounded good until I installed moode on a pi4. I'm using a HiFiBerry Digi+Pro and to my ears sounds great. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Joss said:

Hi all, first time poster. Can't agree enough with the OP on how good moode is. I always thought Chromecast audio sounded good until I installed moode on a pi4. I'm using a HiFiBerry Digi+Pro and to my ears sounds great. 

Hi Joss, welcome to the Wam. Hope you enjoy being part of the forum. If you have any plans on looking for advice about hour system, it would be useful to enter your system details on your profile. 

How do you use Moode? Do you use Squeezelite and LMS or do you use UPNP/DNLA via attached USB drive and/or a streaming provider? I first tried it with LMS running on a laptop, with a USB hdd of ripped cd's and streaming from Deezer or Qobuz.

Last night, I had a play and switched off the Squeezlite Renderer and instead switched on DNLA and UPNP. I then used the BubbleUPnP app to play some Flac files from a USB flash drive  plugged into the Pi and the networked USB drive and streamed music from Qobuz (Tidal is also possible).

Playing music from the connected USB flash drive sounded even better than from the networked drive. Qobuz also sounded awesome but I will have to try Qobuz via Squeezelite/LMS to try and compare.

I have been using a Pi 4 2GB and MoOde for nearly a year now. I tried Volumio first, and then MoOde which I found superior, and have stopped looking since. I connect via USB into my Oppo sonica dac (Ess 9038 pro chip) I have a 2TB HDD connected, and also use Bubble UPNP for streaming Qobuz. I also upsample, but only to 96/24 as that is the same as my active crossover, in my main setup.

I also have a Pi with Hifiberry Amp2 hat for music duties at work, into a couple of KEF Eggs. Again this is using MoOde and Bubble UPNP, and this one amazes me at the quality, considering the Amp2 is around £60 + £24 for a 18vdc power supply There is a dac also with the Amp2 so superb bang for buck, total cost with Pi 4 and case around £140!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi Joss, welcome to the Wam. Hope you enjoy being part of the forum. If you have any plans on looking for advice about hour system, it would be useful to enter your system details on your profile. 
How do you use Moode? Do you use Squeezelite and LMS or do you use UPNP/DNLA via attached USB drive and/or a streaming provider? I first tried it with LMS running on a laptop, with a USB hdd of ripped cd's and streaming from Deezer or Qobuz.
Last night, I had a play and switched off the Squeezlite Renderer and instead switched on DNLA and UPNP. I then used the BubbleUPnP app to play some Flac files from a USB flash drive  plugged into the Pi and the networked USB drive and streamed music from Qobuz (Tidal is also possible).
Playing music from the connected USB flash drive sounded even better than from the networked drive. Qobuz also sounded awesome but I will have to try Qobuz via Squeezelite/LMS to try and compare.
Thanks for that, I will update my profile soon.

I sometimes use BubbleUPnP for tidal which goes through moode and into a Cambridge audio dac then into a Rega io amp. I find it works ok and it's great that it's free but it's not very slick and definitely not able to explain to my wife how it all works. Normally I just listen to files send from a nas I have hidden in a cupboard. The Nas is just another pi running openmediavault attached to a 3tb drive, it's nice and simple, works well and does more than I would ever need. I have one folder of iTunes rips from years ago all in MP3 or equivalent and another folder called foobar that I keep flac files in.

I have used foobar2000 on my old laptop and connected to my dac through usb audio. Again it's brilliant and works well but since I discovered moode which works great on my Google phone the laptop has taken a back seat.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Joss said:

Thanks for that, I will update my profile soon.

I sometimes use BubbleUPnP for tidal which goes through moode and into a Cambridge audio dac then into a Rega io amp. I find it works ok and it's great that it's free but it's not very slick and definitely not able to explain to my wife how it all works. Normally I just listen to files send from a nas I have hidden in a cupboard. The Nas is just another pi running openmediavault attached to a 3tb drive, it's nice and simple, works well and does more than I would ever need. I have one folder of iTunes rips from years ago all in MP3 or equivalent and another folder called foobar that I keep flac files in.

I have used foobar2000 on my old laptop and connected to my dac through usb audio. Again it's brilliant and works well but since I discovered moode which works great on my Google phone the laptop has taken a back seat.

So many ways to skin a cat, lol. I hear what you say about the wife-friendliness, I only just about understand my system myself, lol, let alone trying to explain to my wife how to use it. 

• Haha 1

Okay after reading this I thought it would be sensible to give it a try and see what happens. Now I use and have used Logitech Media Server since I started streaming my music around the house when i first bought an SBT . I will probably stay with this because it is familiar and does everything i want it to . I also like that there is a very large pool of really switched on people on the slimserver forum that will help and get things fixed if needed.

I currently use Max2play as my distro and for all the players I have in the past also used Picoreplayer for the players but the sound quality of the Max2play was better so stuck with them .

Downloaded Moode and while a little slow as I was not familiar with the GUI and steps you need to do to get things working after about ten minutes of making a few false steps set up the Raspberry Pi 3 + Allo Digione player on my active system as a Moode player . Once the Player has had Squeezelite activated it is foud on LMS and then I could play things . Sound quality is indeed as has been said very good better than PiCoreplayer and as good if not better than Max2play . So well worth using and I can see why those who used this as their first player stuck with it.

Only thing I have found is that now when I visit the Moode Player page I get a grey screen with the message Squeezelite Active and the option to turn it off. So I presume now any changes i need to make are done via LMS and if i want to change things in Moode Audio I need to switch Squeezelite off make the changes and then switch it back on again to pop up in LMS list of players .

• Upvote 1

While looking at the Moode Audio Forum I came across a number of mentions of "Edward's Tweaks" having no idea what this meant I did a bit of digging and they appear to be the work of yes you guessed it Edward on improving sound and other settings in Derbian .

So this works with Moode Audio but it also equally works with any other distro that uses a Raspberry Pi . You need to be able to SSH in to your Pi Player and then copy and paste the Automated Install in to your Putty window. Now if all of that was just noise then would suggest that this sort of tweak is not for you .

I used this because i am always looking out for things and in this case there is an Automated Removal as well so if you hear anything you do not like then just remove it.

I find that that these tweaks do have a beneficial effect on the sound quality and raise things just a bit further . The music has a bit more go and separation is much better imaged in space . I like the result and will be leaving this in place . Interested if any one else has a go and what they find .

https://github.com/dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bencat said:

I used this because i am always looking out for things and in this case there is an Automated Removal as well so if you hear anything you do not like then just remove it.

I find that that these tweaks do have a beneficial effect on the sound quality and raise things just a bit further . The music has a bit more go and separation is much better imaged in space . I like the result and will be leaving this in place . Interested if any one else has a go and what they find .

"Dynobot" has been putting out tweaks for donkey's

Likewise "Soundcheck" for lms and pcp

Even "Archimago" has CRAP settings for the rpi

There are all sorts of settings to play with in a computer that will keep one off the streets :ph34r:, don't need a lockdown for that :/

ronnie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bencat said:

Okay after reading this I thought it would be sensible to give it a try and see what happens. Now I use and have used Logitech Media Server since I started streaming my music around the house when i first bought an SBT . I will probably stay with this because it is familiar and does everything i want it to . I also like that there is a very large pool of really switched on people on the slimserver forum that will help and get things fixed if needed.

I currently use Max2play as my distro and for all the players I have in the past also used Picoreplayer for the players but the sound quality of the Max2play was better so stuck with them .

Downloaded Moode and while a little slow as I was not familiar with the GUI and steps you need to do to get things working after about ten minutes of making a few false steps set up the Raspberry Pi 3 + Allo Digione player on my active system as a Moode player . Once the Player has had Squeezelite activated it is foud on LMS and then I could play things . Sound quality is indeed as has been said very good better than PiCoreplayer and as good if not better than Max2play . So well worth using and I can see why those who used this as their first player stuck with it.

Only thing I have found is that now when I visit the Moode Player page I get a grey screen with the message Squeezelite Active and the option to turn it off. So I presume now any changes i need to make are done via LMS and if i want to change things in Moode Audio I need to switch Squeezelite off make the changes and then switch it back on again to pop up in LMS list of players .

System now sounds too bloody good - I can't tear myself away from it at night. Still up again at 03.09 in the morning! Have come to the conclusion that my Digione Signature streamer, both boards powered by the Temple Audio Supercharger, sounds better than my £1000 Audio Synthesis-modified Pioneer disc transport and my Meridian 200T transport with £500 of Audiocom upgrades. This is into my AS Dax Discrete Variable  Dac.

The Pi with Moode sounds even better using UPNP and DNLA rather than through LMS/Squeezelite. And the very best sound of all is when reading my flacs from an attached USB flash drive. Files from a powered attached usb hdd sound great, aa does Qobuz streaming, but from the flash drive, there is more ease to the sound, detail is more easily heard, there is more depth of soundstage and better dynamics. Another layer of digital 'sheen' has been removed.

Basically, everything just sounds more real. With that in mind, I've ordered a 512gb USB 3.0 flash drive on which to copy my 270gb of flac files. I'm hoping my pi 3b+ copes with it but if not, I'll have to try a pi 4b as my Digione Sig streamer, with its USB 3.0 ports.

Well, time for bed,  said Zebedee.

• Haha 1

While looking at the Moode Audio Forum I came across a number of mentions of "Edward's Tweaks" having no idea what this meant I did a bit of digging and they appear to be the work of yes you guessed it Edward on improving sound and other settings in Derbian .
So this works with Moode Audio but it also equally works with any other distro that uses a Raspberry Pi . You need to be able to SSH in to your Pi Player and then copy and paste the Automated Install in to your Putty window. Now if all of that was just noise then would suggest that this sort of tweak is not for you .
Thanks for that. Just installed it but not had a chance to listen. Originally got the IP address wrong and managed to instal it on my Nas haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 05/05/2021 at 08:38, bencat said:

You should still be able to browse to the Moode Audio page, even if Squeezelite has been set to on. I did get to that grey page you mention, one time on my phone browser. I clicked on it, and I then struggled to connect to moode again, resulting in me having to flash Moode onto the card again and reset parameters 😒.

When you try and connect, just make sure you only enter the ip address as the target. I think it may then go to the correct page for you rather than that grey page.

Andrew, as you prefer Moode, the next step is to try switching on DNLA and UpnP. This allows you to stream from usb drives, hdd and ssd attached directly to your Pi and from Quobuz or Tidal services,  using the BubbleUPnP app on your phone, tablet etc.

It's not quite as slick as the LMS client apps but I think it's more than worth it for the increase in sound quality over using LMS. It doesn't require flashing another sd card as it simply involves switching off the Squeezelite renderer in Moode and instead, switching on DNLA and UpNP. Squeezelite can simply be switched on and off at will, to use LMS or not.

12 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Andrew, as you prefer Moode, the next step is to try switching on DNLA and UpnP. This allows you to stream from usb drives, hdd and ssd attached directly to your Pi and from Quobuz or Tidal services,  using the BubbleUPnP app on your phone, tablet etc.

It's not quite as slick as the LMS client apps but I think it's more than worth it for the increase in sound quality over using LMS. It doesn't require flashing another sd card as it simply involves switching off the Squeezelite renderer in Moode and instead, switching on DNLA and UpNP. Squeezelite can simply be switched on and off at will, to use LMS or not.

Sorry Garry not going to give up Material Skin GUI and LMS anytime soon . I have used this far too long and dislike things like BubbleUPnP for the lack of the things I want to access easily and quickly . The sound quality i am getting currently will keep me happy for now .

Just now, bencat said:

Sorry Garry not going to give up Material Skin GUI and LMS anytime soon . I have used this far too long and dislike things like BubbleUPnP for the lack of the things I want to access easily and quickly . The sound quality i am getting currently will keep me happy for now .

I know what you mean, I do think that the LMS client interfaces are superb. If my wife was having to use the controllers, I'd probably have to use LMS but luckily, she doesn't, so I'm willing to put up with the slightly poorer interface as the sound is unbelievable now. I would never have thought a streaming solution could better the 2 cd transports I have, let alone for  less than £700. It's hard to tell that I'm listening to digital now, everything is smoother but more detailed. Absolutely over the moon here.