Superiority of Moode over Picoreplayer

2 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I tried one and sent it back, read what you like into that :)

Hmmm, well, there you go, lol.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just going to add this I helped a fellow Wammer set up his music server using a Raspberry Pi4 and LMS . Had to swap the USB HE over from one I had loaned to one he had been bought. He had been us

I have been running my recently acquired Raspberry pi media player using Picoreplayer over LMS for a couple of weeks now. I thought the sound was excellent. Last night, I set up Moode on a spare Micro

I have been using a Pi 4 2GB and MoOde for nearly a year now. I tried Volumio first, and then MoOde which I found superior, and have stopped looking since. I connect via USB into my Oppo sonica dac (E

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I tried one and sent it back, read what you like into that :)

My understanding was that you tried to replace the buggy and unsupported version of Volumio on the Stack Link with MoOde and didn’t succeed. Upgrading the eMMC memory in a compute module is a bit more involved than just copying an image onto an SD card.  Once I personally managed to upgrade to MoOde I was really happy with the Link, but I may well be the only person who has done it.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, rdale said:

My understanding was that you tried to replace the buggy and unsupported version of Volumio on the Stack Link with MoOde and didn’t succeed. Upgrading the eMMC memory in a compute module is a bit more involved than just copying an image onto an SD card.  Once I personally managed to upgrade to MoOde I was really happy with the Link, but I may well be the only person who has done it.

Your understanding is wrong. I upgraded to MoOde, but was unhappy that I had to.  A product that cost that much, should never be sent out with software that does not work. I realised that it is basically a Pi in a fancy case, so I bought a Pi4 and realised there was no difference in SQ, once I had MoOde running on it. So the fact that there was a huge saving also, swung it in favour of a Pi. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, greybeard said:

Your understanding is wrong. I upgraded to MoOde, but was unhappy that I had to.  A product that cost that much, should never be sent out with software that does not work. I realised that it is basically a Pi in a fancy case, so I bought a Pi4 and realised there was no difference in SQ, once I had MoOde running on it. So the fact that there was a huge saving also, swung it in favour of a Pi. 

Fair enough. I personally have found my Stack Link and Allo USB Signature a significant step up from the Pi3s I’d been using before. I haven’t tried a Pi4 for audio, although I’m using one as a NAS and maybe they sound better than the Pi2/3 does.

• Like 1
Just now, rdale said:

Fair enough. I personally have found my Stack Link and Allo USB Signature a significant step up from the Pi3s I’d been using before. I haven’t tried a Pi4 for audio, although I’m using one as a NAS and maybe they sound better than the Pi2/3 does.

The Pi 4 certainly sounds better, than the earlier versions via USB, which is how I use it.

Well it's a funny old business this Digital music streaming. After all the rave reviews above I thought I must try Moode. Well from me it's a thumbs down. Didn't sound as good as Picoreplayer. Didn't handle DSD files well with horrible scratching hissing when switching from a PCM 44.1 to a DSD.

I think the thing we have to remember is that playing this stuff is a marriage between a player and a DAC. You have to have a player that is happy with your DAC. My best combination to date is my Project Pro2 Digital with Picoreplayer. Your best combo is your AS Dax Discrete Vari with Moode.

It'll be interesting to see what other combos others find work well.

Best Wishes

Dave

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

@slavedatayou are so right about it being the whole set up that can make a difference and it is interesting to find that others are not hearing the jump up that @Gizzaidentified and I have to say I would agree with .

In my case and @Gizzathe player is an Allo Digione hat but I have now also had better results with a JustBoom Digi and a JustBoom Amp Hat . The Allo Digi players are being fed in to MiniDSP DDRC 22D DSP units . The JustBoom Digi is feeding an Onkyo AV Receiver and the JustBoom Amp Hat is just feeding itself . In may case all of those combinations offered a better sound quality over PiCoreplayer and matched or possibly even beat the Max2play player as well .

The Allo players showed the biggest difference and as i suppose you would expect the JustBoom Amp Hat showed the least gain . It is there but there is only a small difference .

I know that many feel that digital either just works or does not but the more I use it and change things the more surprised I am that there is changes with addition of things that you would think would make no difference . I do enjoy things like this which are fun to do and easy to revert back if you want to .

One of the things that I think makes a difference in my set up is that Moode uses a much more current version of Squeezelite than PiCoreplayer . Max2play uses their own cusotm version which could also be the reason that sounds different as well . But in all honesty I do not have the technical knowledge to be able to say for certain that is what is going on here and of course @Gizzahas stopped using Squeezelite which may be why he prefers that sound over the LMS version .

Edited by bencat
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, slavedata said:

Well it's a funny old business this Digital music streaming. After all the rave reviews above I thought I must try Moode. Well from me it's a thumbs down. Didn't sound as good as Picoreplayer. Didn't handle DSD files well with horrible scratching hissing when switching from a PCM 44.1 to a DSD.

I think the thing we have to remember is that playing this stuff is a marriage between a player and a DAC. You have to have a player that is happy with your DAC. My best combination to date is my Project Pro2 Digital with Picoreplayer. Your best combo is your AS Dax Discrete Vari with Moode.

It'll be interesting to see what other combos others find work well.

Best Wishes

Dave

That's interesting, Dave. What player did you try it on? Did you check to see if there might be some settings in Moode that need changing? How did it sound playing non-DSD files?

Regards 

Gary.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, bencat said:

@slavedatayou are so right about it being the whole set up that can make a difference and it is interesting to find that others are not hearing the jump up that @Gizzaidentified and I have to say I would agree with .

In my case and @Gizzathe player is an Allo Digione hat but I have now also had better results with a JustBoom Digi and a JustBoom Amp Hat . The Allo Digi players are being fed in to MiniDSP DDRC 22D DSP units . The JustBoom Digi is feeding an Onkyo AV Receiver and the JustBoom Amp Hat is just feeding itself . In may case all of those combinations offered a better sound quality over PiCoreplayer and matched or possibly even beat the Max2play player as well .

The Allo players showed the biggest difference and as i suppose you would expect the JustBoom Amp Hat showed the least gain . It is there but there is only a small difference .

I know that many feel that digital either just works or does not but the more I use it and change things the more surprised I am that there is changes with addition of things that you would think would make no difference . I do enjoy things like this which are fun to do and easy to revert back if you want to .

One of the things that I think makes a difference in my set up is that Moode uses a much more current version of Squeezelite than PiCoreplayer . Max2play uses their own cusotm version which could also be the reason that sounds different as well . But in all honesty I do not have the technical knowledge to be able to say for certain that is what is going on here and of course @Gizzahas stopped using Squeezelite which may be why he prefers that sound over the LMS version .

I couldn't resist the chance of playing further and have ordered a pi 4b+ 4gb rev 1.2. I'll be able to try the Digione Signature on that  AND it should have enough oomph to install and run LMS Server on it too. I'll be interested to see if the LMS solution sounds as good as Moode when the player doesn't have to go across the network to access LMS.

Thinking about it, do you actually have to have Picoreplayer installed and running if LMS is installed on the unit? LMS has a media player built in. Something else to investigate... 😊

Edited by Gizza
  • Upvote 1

Gary

The Local Player Plugin does not always work (there is no-one to maintain it :()

pCP will carry the LMS install as well as provide Squeezelite for the player. There are 32 and 64 bit versions

One can attatch a usb drive to the rpi to provide storage for music files or connect to NAS for the same.

Max2Play can also do all this (and does not need a licence for the basics to function)

One can also use the raspbery PI OS Buster (Desktop and Headless versions available, also 64 bit, although I have not played much with the 64 bit)

There are also Ubuntu versions for the pi which enable LMS and Squeezelite to be installed, these do require a little hacking.

Some of these installs will fit on a usb drive or stick of suitable capacity which will allow the OS and and a separate storage  partition for music files.

Also there is RoPieee  which has a squeezelite player

There are lots of ways to play

It's also possible run the rpi as a dlna/upnp thingy but I have not done that lately

ronnie

• Like 1
On 05/05/2021 at 08:38, bencat said:

Only thing I have found is that now when I visit the Moode Player page I get a grey screen with the message Squeezelite Active and the option to turn it off. So I presume now any changes i need to make are done via LMS and if i want to change things in Moode Audio I need to switch Squeezelite off make the changes and then switch it back on again to pop up in LMS list of players .

Same here, grey screen with 'squeezelite active'. Try http://192.168.1.101/lib-config.php (obvs your IP may be different) to get to Moode settings. Strange that you lose the little 'M' top-right on the home page which would take you here.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Man in a van said:

Gary

The Local Player Plugin does not always work (there is no-one to maintain it :()

pCP will carry the LMS install as well as provide Squeezelite for the player. There are 32 and 64 bit versions

One can attatch a usb drive to the rpi to provide storage for music files or connect to NAS for the same.

Max2Play can also do all this (and does not need a licence for the basics to function)

One can also use the raspbery PI OS Buster (Desktop and Headless versions available, also 64 bit, although I have not played much with the 64 bit)

There are also Ubuntu versions for the pi which enable LMS and Squeezelite to be installed, these do require a little hacking.

Some of these installs will fit on a usb drive or stick of suitable capacity which will allow the OS and and a separate storage  partition for music files.

Also there is RoPieee  which has a squeezelite player

There are lots of ways to play

It's also possible run the rpi as a dlna/upnp thingy but I have not done that lately

ronnie

So much choice, Ronnie. I have a 32gb sd card and spare 8gb flash drive, which presumably would be enough to run LMS on the Pi 4b? I'd like to try running LMS server and Moode on it to see if that sounds as good as Moode streaming direct using UpnP and DNLA. Hopefully I'll get the chance to do that over the next couple of weeks.

13 hours ago, Gizza said:

So much choice, Ronnie. I have a 32gb sd card and spare 8gb flash drive, which presumably would be enough to run LMS on the Pi 4b? I'd like to try running LMS server and Moode on it to see if that sounds as good as Moode streaming direct using UpnP and DNLA. Hopefully I'll get the chance to do that over the next couple of weeks.

Just a quick note Gary, one cannot run both MoOde and pCP at the same time on the same rpi :(

There is an update for MoOde now available :)

Getting my second jab this am  :P

ronnie ...."oooh nurse!"

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Man in a van said:

Just a quick note Gary, one cannot run both MoOde and pCP at the same time on the same rpi :(

There is an update for MoOde now available :)

Getting my second jab this am  :P

ronnie ...."oooh nurse!"

🤣🤣🤣

Presumably, a freestanding install of LMS can be run alongside Moode, though? I'll do some research...

We're having our 2nd jab on Monday. 😊

Oh, I nominate myself for T$#t of the year....from the Windows Disk management screen, I right-clicked the WRONG disk and quick-formatted it. Instead of choosing the new USB flash drive, I'd formatted the connected USB hdd containing my 260gb of FLAC Cd rips😱. Probably 3 weeks of constant CD ripping and that was when I had a working Vortexbox, which simply involved putting a cd in and putting the next one in when that one was completed and ejected. 

Researched disk recovery, installed and ran 'Disk Drill', about 12 hours to run. It displayed all the files that could be recovered, but tld me it would cost £73 for the license, 50mb limit on the free version!

Tried attaching another old USB drive that was a copy of the 1st one, done ages ago, but it was not recognised by the laptop. Hmmm, what to do. I opened File explorer, clicked on the 'lost' drive, only to see all of my folders and files were now visible.😊

Currently copying all the files across to the new Flash drive. I can certainly play them in media player on the laptop so hopefully they'll be okay.

I can only assume that 'Disk Drill' has undone the quick-format. It may only be while I have the Disk Drill program window open. All I know is that I'm copying those files off pretty damned quickly. I think I'd have had a go at rebuilding the Vortexbox if I'd had to rip them all again.

Worth knowing though as it averted a potential small disaster. What a plonker, Ronnie (Rodney) 😊

Take care mate and don't get upset if the Nurse mentions a little prick. 😅

Oh, regarding Moode, its a complete new install and config. I seem to remember. Thanks for that info.