Posted (edited)

I was just reading that a chap who bought a pair of Scansonics on a whim a couple of years ago and then decided that he had to keep them because in his mind they were excellent even though he complained all the time has finally found a solution to the problem.

After a long time enduring ear-piercing uninvolving sound he is now routing the analogue output of his Primare CD31 through a cassette recorder and the sound is, in his words, glorious.

:Tumble:

Edited by tuga
  • Haha 2

Good result - maybe it was cheaper than buying a graphic equaliser?

• Haha 3

Quite often a cassette deck has some low pass filtering in the monitoring loop. It is a well known thing that analog tape seems to tame digital. So it is perhaps degrading the output of the cd player i.e. reducing the amount of information, and low pass filter, presenting a less challenging signal to the down stream amp. Musical fidelity made that X tube buffer, similar thing probably, I made my active wire which has a similar effect. Re kettle lead thread, cd player seem to need more help, maybe as they have their own built in RFI source? I don't know.

All comments are for entertainment purposes only.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Good result - maybe it was cheaper than buying a graphic equaliser?

Cheaper even than changing speaker wires.

• Haha 1

By the way @JANDL100, I’ve just spend the weekend with the family in your neck of the woods. Strikingly beautiful, the valley.

Posted (edited)

Never ceased to amaze me that customers on demonstration preferred one item but bought another because the magazines recommended it.  

At first I tried to reason with them but learned they did not like the hassle and would just go elsewhere to buy the recommended item.  So you just sold them what they asked for - the thing that really defeats me though is why the bloody hell did they ask for a demonstration when they had no intention of letting their ears choose what they wanted :doh:

Edited by uzzy
spelling
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, uzzy said:

Never ceased to amaze me that customers on demonstration preferred one item but bought another because the magazines recommended it.  

At first a tried to reason with them but learned they did not like the hassle and would just go elsewhere to buy the recommended item.  So you just sold them what they asked for - the thing that really defeats me though is why the bloody hell did they ask for a demonstration when they had no intention of letting their ears choose what they wanted :doh:

Because they are people and that's what they do . Why does anyone ask a question I am thinking of getting equipment piece A and then ask who else has heard it and what did they think ? beats me but I do know one thing which is what anyone else hears in in their system with their ears is not going to be the same as what you hear . Then I have to hold my hand up and admit that I have also done this while talking to a group of other Wammers who have heard way more equipment than ever I have . So go figure.

6 minutes ago, bencat said:

but I do know one thing which is what anyone else hears in in their system with their ears is not going to be the same as what you hear .

Agree entirely but when you dem something and they say Amp A is best - then when they find out it is not what the reviewers said so they buy Amp B and ignore their ears just defeats me :) 

• Upvote 2

Been there and done just that. Expectation bias is a powerfull thing. The extended home demo is the best weapon to combat this. 

• Upvote 1

I live in the south west but on a holiday to the lakes I'd  pre arranged to visit a dealer in the north as they had the Linn Sneaky at a very good price - not sure why, maybe it was a promotional thing but was a few hundred less than other dealers at the time.

I actually didn't really like it in the demo but bought it anyway - hoping it would sound better somehow when I got it home. And actually I did get it sounding good, with different speakesr than in the demo and using as a source only so bypassing the built in amp.

Although I was a bit underwhelmed - I still bought it, maybe because I'd already intended to buy it and had gone a long way to listen :D 

It turned out well in the end - I think sometimes your mind is already made up when you go to listen!