Has anyone found an easy way to add another room as an annex to an existing room?

I have my main room modelled with a door into the kitchen - obviously this door should be closed. However, we now have the door open 90% of the time, so I want to remove door, replace with a gap in the wall and add the kitchen space. It strikes me that this risks screwing up the main room and would have to be undone if I didn’t like it. Ideally, I’d like to start with a copy of the main room and leave the original untouched. Is this possible?

Any advice, or shared experiences welcome.

’troll

You could try the option to "share optimization" but share it with your own email. Hopefully that will create a duplicate room which you can edit, leaving the original room untouched.

Also, as soon as you split a wall / add a corner it will remove features from all walls, so be aware of that.

I'm of the opinion if the door is opened 90% of the time then model it in space. I did but its a double door so lots of sq/ft for the music to pass through and get adsorbed by the other room.

The hard work (relative term) is modelling the room initially. If you don't find an improvement reverting back would be as simple as removing it in space and reconnecting wall.

Posted (edited)

Yes, it’s the hard work I’m aiming to minimise. I may just have to grit my teeth and get on with it. I’m not intending to model the annex accurately, just a box of the correct volume.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Posted (edited)

OK, so I’ve successfully sent myself a copy of the room in my account. I’ve started to create a new optimisation using this new room (renamed as “copy”)  and then deleted it and now don’t have the option to “Adjust” my existing optimisations. Anyone seen this before?

edit - eventually back to square one. I had to do a new optimisation. I did a restore on the system, but the Adjust option was still missing. That’s a lesson learned.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Update

I did this a about a hear ago. Send to yourself and setup as a new room. My permanently open door is only a normal door. But, adding the room beyond worked quite well. Door has to be modelled as a ceiling height gap though  

I didn’t hear any striking changes. But, certainly no detriment. The open door is only about 60cm from one if my speakers. So, likely interacts…

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Rich9600 after the “fun” I had earlier, I’m tempted to just close the door…

’troll

• Upvote 1

Has anyone found an easy way to add another room as an annex to an existing room?

Not exactly. I've found that leaving the room intact (as a room) even if the door is open 90% of the time tends to work better, and compensate for the energy loss caused by the open door (into the next space) by experimenting with some of the more advanced features (e.g. for that wall that the door and/or opening is on, lower absorption for the wall material and/or adjust for the type of door, etc.).

That's been my experience at least so far. Mostly because when I've run into these situations, it's been very, very difficult to take the time to properly model the auxiliary spaces.

I can't wait for the ability to adjust for curved walls, or a wall/partition in between what is more or less a single large room. Oh, and slanted ceilings. That's just off the top of my head.

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, jarvis said:

Also, as soon as you split a wall / add a corner it will remove features from all walls, so be aware of that.

It didn’t appear to behave like that, I just lost features from walls I’d adjusted - perhaps this is new? I also noticed that the speaker positioning is much easier as you are no longer restricted to measuring position to specific walls - I could position a speaker relative to the wall behind me, which was really useful as that speaker has a bay window behind it. I assume these changes were introduced for surround systems, but are new to me.

’troll

• Like 1

When I tweaked the room size slightly some years back (I moved from a not-quite-long-enough tape measure to a laser measure and found dimensions were an inch or two out here and there) I did find all features disappeared, and I had to add windows and the door again, possibly other things (floor/ceiling materials?) too.

Mick