The Preowned Market For The Klimax Katalyst DSM

I imagine that there will be a lot of Klimax DSM’s on the market soon, with the release of the new Klimax DSM’s 

I had a text from my Linn dealer just now, that they have now sold 2 of the new Klimax DSM’s with the Organik DAC’s.

‘However, they have a  Klimax Katalyst DSM to sell as a trade-in, and wondering what the market is like for the pre-owned and what it should sell for .

‘It was just upgraded to Katalyst about 6 months ago, and they are thinking it would sell for $14,000 Cdn/£8196 GBP/€9450/$11,399 USD

Suggestions?

6 hours ago, neiloxford said:

Will it be upgradeable to Organik in the future ?

I don’t think we know that yet.

‘It does seem likely, as Linn is upgrading Klimax Exaktboxes and Katalyst 350’s

1 hour ago, Harald said:

I bought (and sold) many of my devices at audio-makt.de, such as my Klimax DSM and Solos. Also good to watch how many devices are to be sold and how the price develops accordingly.

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/start/?page_filter_field_usage_state=0&page_filter_field_manufacturer_id=2051&filter_submitted=1

Thank you

That is a good resource to know about

6 hours ago, neiloxford said:

KDSM/3 would upgrade my ADSM, but I’d be reluctant to make the move. If Organik trickles down to Akurate/Selekt level then I’d want to hear it first because I feel a Linn streamer with Organik will be preferable to one with Katalyst. Audition may prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I imagine that there will be a lot of Klimax DSM’s on the market soon, with the release of the new Klimax DSM’s 

I had a text from my Linn dealer just now, that they have now sold 2 of the new Klimax DSM’s with the Organik DAC’s.

‘However, they have a  Klimax Katalyst DSM to sell as a trade-in, and wondering what the market is like for the pre-owned and what it should sell for .

‘It was just upgraded to Katalyst about 6 months ago, and they are thinking it would sell for $14,000 Cdn/£8196 GBP/€9450/$11,399 USD

Suggestions?

Here's what's currently listed for sale worldwide by private owners https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Linn+Klimax+dsm%2F2

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

KDSM/3 would upgrade my ADSM, but I’d be reluctant to make the move. If Organik trickles down to Akurate/Selekt level then I’d want to hear it first because I feel a Linn streamer with Organik will be preferable to one with Katalyst. Audition may prove me wrong. 

Should be an interesting comparison.

I look forward to auditioning this as well

1 hour ago, 7ryder said:

Here's what's currently listed for sale worldwide by private owners https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Linn+Klimax+dsm%2F2

Thank you 7Ryder

That is very helpful

• Like 1

While I don't particularly mind discussions about pricing on forums, to me this seems a bit ridiculous on the face of it. You mean to tell me that a Linn retailer is having a conversation with an end user about what they think is a reasonable asking price for a pre-owned Klimax DSM?

I mean, it isn't exactly rocket science people. Just about any used piece of kit sells for anywhere between 35% and 60% off of retail based on condition, age, warranty, etc., etc. Regardless of brand.

Is this really something that the retailer needs feedback from a public forum to figure out? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

If they have already agreed a trade in price with the customer, then they know how much they have tied up in it and, hence, need to recoup in a sale. If they pitch it too high, it won’t sell. Surely they also know how much they would sell an ex-dem model for, as an indicator?

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Upvote 2

If they have already agreed a trade in price with the customer, then they know how much they have tied up in it and, hence, need to recoup in a sale. If they pitch it too high, it won’t sell. Surely they also know how much they would sell an ex-dem model for, as an indicator?

Thank you. To me it is sort of like a "how to stay in business, day one" type of conversation and I find it fascinating that it is even occurring here quite frankly.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

’troll

Yes, they have done that, indeed 

But they also wanted to get my insights, as I keep up with the latest Linn news

It was my initiative to post this on the Wam, not theirs, as I am curious. It may help my future decision making process if I go for a Klimax Hub at some point

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

if I go for a Klimax Hub at some point

What!? You have already auditioned in store, and are talking about taking the Klimax DSM home for an audition. I'm afraid you are on the hook for a new Klimax System Hub. You are in too far to back out now. :D

Edited by akamatsu
Added exclamation point after "What."
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, neiloxford said:

If it was, the question what exactly is upgraded would still remain. Is it only the DAC or also the ADC, and / or the master clock. Given how much more physical  space the New Klimax case has to offer, as compared to the legacy box,  just swapping boards does not appear possible.

As we have been discussing in the parallel thread on the New Klimax hub, it's not even secure knowledge, which of the a. m. components has the biggest impact on the improved sound. It may well be, that the master clock is the real game changer, but the DAC upgrade is easier to communicate as a marketing message. 

We need more time to listen do different configurations, and learn our lessons, before we can draw any conclusions.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

As TooManyCatweazles says the space in the Klimax box might be restrictive but the Akurate should give plenty of scope so might be better keeping your ADSM but let your ears be the judge....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

What!? You have already auditioned in store, and are talking about taking the Klimax DSM home for an audition. I'm afraid you are on the hook for a new Klimax System Hub. You are in too far to back out now. :D

It is all part of my diabolical scheme to take one home, and hope they don’t notice I have put an Akurate Hub in its place. 🤪

• Haha 3