The Preowned Market For The Klimax Katalyst DSM

13 minutes ago, entdgc said:

As TooManyCatweazles says the space in the Klimax box might be restrictive but the Akurate should give plenty of scope so might be better keeping your ADSM but let your ears be the judge....

When in doubt, a band saw and duct tape is your friend

Anybody willing to donate a Klimax Hub that we can practise on?  😂😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

If it was, the question what exactly is upgraded would still remain. Is it only the DAC or also the ADC, and / or the master clock. Given how much more physical  space the New Klimax case has to offer, as compared to the legacy box,  just swapping boards does not appear possible.

Agreed. Judging by the size of the boards in the new box, any 2016 KDSM upgrade is likely to be something of a compromise compared to the 2021. That’s why I eventually decided that I wouldn’t wait to find out. The size of the Dynamik in 2021 also looks substantial - so possibly latest generation design too. At least the KSHub doesn’t need to house the DAC circuits, so a little more space available.

’troll

• Upvote 1

Good Morning All,

This thread could be opened up to include simple DS's????

I have literally just bought a UNG/ second hand/ pre-loved Klimax DS/3 Katalyst to replace my Akurate DS/3 Katalyst. It should be arriving on Friday.

In discussion with the Linn dealer off who I made the purchase he expressed a view that Linn might be able to squeeze the new Organik technology in to the Klimax case but did say that the electronics would need to be downsized to do so. It would be ironic if the Organik electronics could only fit the Akurate case - I couldn't see Linn offering the upgrade in such circumstances as a great many Klimax owners would be up in arms???

Looking forward to the arrival of the 'new' streamer. I was very impressed when I heard it up against a Klimax LP12 at Cymbiosis..........

I would certainly like to attend a back to back comparison between the two streamers.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

I think your estimated price is in the right range, Paul.  The conundrum for me is who will buy it.  Let me try to explain:-

1. A few months ago, you’d know you were buying the top model.  Now it is superseded, so you buy it presumably knowing the replacement is three times as much. And it’s no longer the top dog. 

2. You don’t know (yet) if it’ll ever be upgradeable, and for about half the price there’s also an Akurate DSM/3 secondhand.  You might gamble on a £5,000 upgrade in a years time? 

3. Is it a sprat to catch a mackerel, because you can px it against the Organik and get more than you just paid towards the latest model?

There are doubtless more considerations.  There will be few folks who might choose a used one today, but the market is surely pretty limited.  Ironically, there is probably more scope to sell a DS, at a lower cost, simply as a great source for any system, imho.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

The conundrum for me is who will buy it.

Well, Linn are hardly likely to sell any more new ones, are they? But how were they selling anyway? The new model and Organik have awoken the market, by all appearances, and will feed a good number of various spec DSMs into the preowned marketplace. It may suppress the resale prices for a while, but could get many more enthusiasts into Klimax level, who would never have aspired to at full retail - and many of us know what that leads to :$

Oh, the joys of being a Linn dealer.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Typo
  • Like 3

Spoke to my dealer today and he expressed his totally PERSONAL opinion (Linn dealers are not told of future plans to avoid compromising their integrity with customers) that he would be surprised if Akurate stayed around much longer. So the future would be Majik > Select > Klimax (x2?). I am not sure I agree with him. If you look at the current pricing there is a nice flow to the increasing products in the range. I can see a new Organik Akurate, probably with new casing to keep the new Linn aesthetic, replacing the Akurate and Original Klimax.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And what of the Klimax Radikal and Klimax Twin: neither will look quite right in their old fashioned Klimax boxes. So will everything get the new look? Perhaps the Twin and Solos will go the way of the Klimax Kontrol. I think I'll put potential upgrades on hold until .... 

On 04/05/2021 at 01:57, neiloxford said:

Will it be upgradeable to Organik in the future ?

There is a hint in the comment section of the youtube recording of the launch event. 

image.thumb.png.5900e4328f42a28e3d04f42f9e7467f0.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

And what of the Klimax Radikal and Klimax Twin: neither will look quite right in their old fashioned Klimax boxes. So will everything get the new look? Perhaps the Twin and Solos will go the way of the Klimax Kontrol. I think I'll put potential upgrades on hold until .... 

This was discussed elsewhere. I posted a video showing the new KDSM with Klimax Radikal on the shelf underneath. They looked quite nice together. Being the exact same width did help. This was a concern of mine. But after seeing the video, I went ahead and ordered the KRadikal. I recall hearing that the KRad would stay in the same box and not get a new look.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, berni said:

There is a hint in the comment section of the youtube recording of the launch event. 

image.thumb.png.5900e4328f42a28e3d04f42f9e7467f0.png

That ties in with my thinking about the limited space inside the current Klimax box  - “There are plans to make Organik DAC available as an upgrade…” (my bold) This could be taken as Katalyst will be upgraded to Organik, but you may not get all the other NextGen improvements. Just a thought.

’troll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

I think I'll put potential upgrades on hold until .... 

Nah, no guarantees in this life @Nestor Turton

Enjoy it all while you can.

’troll

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

It is all part of my diabolical scheme to take one home, and hope they don’t notice I have put an Akurate Hub in its place. 🤪

I've been able to work this strategy with my audio equipment. New bikes, not so much!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, entdgc said:

Spoke to my dealer today and he expressed his totally PERSONAL opinion (Linn dealers are not told of future plans to avoid compromising their integrity with customers) that he would be surprised if Akurate stayed around much longer. So the future would be Majik > Select > Klimax (x2?). I am not sure I agree with him. If you look at the current pricing there is a nice flow to the increasing products in the range. I can see a new Organik Akurate, probably with new casing to keep the new Linn aesthetic, replacing the Akurate and Original Klimax.

I am sure that I disagree with your dealer. With Klimax moving upwards pricewise, the gap between Select and Klimax is only opening up. Putting a product line into this gap makes a lot of sense to cover the area, and to have a relevant offering for each of the respective audiences.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 2

Personally I can't see Selekt being the model below the Klimax. I know the KDSM is a no-compromise release, but it felt massively different in terms of quality and engineering. The Selekt feels positively cheap by comparison (and it hurts a little to say that). Perhaps Selekt might get a bit more of a milled chassis, and more isolation internally, maybe upgraded electronics, power supply etc, but I'd be surprised if something doesn't sit in the middle. £5k/£8k stepping up to £30k. It's not an obvious upgrade 'next step' is it? Linn would likely lose customers to other higher end streamers (which aren't high end cost wise compared to KDSM)

1 hour ago, 7ryder said:

I've been able to work this strategy with my audio equipment. New bikes, not so much!

This is why Linn needs to allow people to upgrade their  Klimax DSM’s to Organik in the smiley pizza box casework, so that SWMBO doesn’t notice that there has been an equipment upgrade.  😂

• Haha 2