The Preowned Market For The Klimax Katalyst DSM

35 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

I am sure that I disagree with your dealer. With Klimax moving upwards pricewise, the gap between Select and Klimax is only opening up. Putting a product line into this gap makes a lot of sense to cover the area, and to have a relevant offering for each of the respective audiences.

Yes, I agree.

‘There is nothing wrong with Akurate, and my Akurate system is superb sound quality. 

Another consideration is Akurate casework matches most Linn owners current lineup of kit

11 minutes ago, jonbsbd said:

Personally I can't see Selekt being the model below the Klimax. I know the KDSM is a no-compromise release, but it felt massively different in terms of quality and engineering. The Selekt feels positively cheap by comparison (and it hurts a little to say that). Perhaps Selekt might get a bit more of a milled chassis, and more isolation internally, maybe upgraded electronics, power supply etc, but I'd be surprised if something doesn't sit in the middle. £5k/£8k stepping up to £30k. It's not an obvious upgrade 'next step' is it? Linn would likely lose customers to other higher end streamers (which aren't high end cost wise compared to KDSM)

Yes, absolutely it is too big a step, and Linn may lose a lot of customers.

‘I think the most telling sign is that their are no Selekt Exaktboxes, or Selekt speakers in Linn’s lineup

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, surely I can't be the only one who has noticed that it's almost as if they realized that while Klimax worked, Orgasmik was just a bit too over the top.

Nah, no guarantees in this life @Nestor Turton Enjoy it all while you can. ’troll

It seems you are right on that one. I thought I just as well might ask the Linn helpline. Here is the email dialogue, minus the polite bits: Q: "will there be the possibility to upgrade the curre

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Reading al the positivity and technology on the new NGKDSM clock, a clock upgrade for ASH and ADSM seems like a logical step to me. Swap out the mainboard at the dealer and get back in the race.

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 1

It’s worth noting that both the slimline Klimax DSM and DS are still being retailed. This is the interim price point between Selekt/Akurate and the New KDSMO. There’s still a massive hike from £15k to £30k, so as long as there is some demand for the slimline K range, it may remain for sometime. Just saying.....

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

And what of the Klimax Radikal and Klimax Twin: neither will look quite right in their old fashioned Klimax boxes. So will everything get the new look? Perhaps the Twin and Solos will go the way of the Klimax Kontrol. I think I'll put potential upgrades on hold until .... 

Could this be part of a Linn gradual march to eliminate analogue components from the range and concentrate solely on Exakt? A browse through the Linn website/price list shows the Exakt end of the see-saw heavily weighted against quite a diminishing range of analogue options.

A while back I was thinking about amplification upgrades and looked at what the Linn route was. Now, this (I freely admit) may be down to my lack of knowledge/understanding, but I was unable to see an obvious Linn route here in the absence of a Klimax/Akurate Kontrol in the current line-up?

BTW I'm not denigrating this approach or saying it's necessarily a bad thing, if that is the direction of travel.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, pdcman said:

It’s worth noting that both the slimline Klimax DSM and DS are still being retailed. This is the interim price point between Selekt/Akurate and the New KDSMO. There’s still a massive hike from £15k to £30k, so as long as there is some demand for the slimline K range, it may remain for sometime. Just saying.....

Perhaps if there's no great demand for Klimax Radikal & Solos in slim boxes, the price of ex-dem and s/h will drop and become affordable. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
11 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Could this be part of a Linn gradual march to eliminate analogue components from the range and concentrate solely on Exakt? A browse through the Linn website/price list shows the Exakt end of the see-saw heavily weighted against quite a diminishing range of analogue options.

A while back I was thinking about amplification upgrades and looked at what the Linn route was. Now, this (I freely admit) may be down to my lack of knowledge/understanding, but I was unable to see an obvious Linn route here in the absence of a Klimax/Akurate Kontrol in the current line-up?

BTW I'm not denigrating this approach or saying it's necessarily a bad thing, if that is the direction of travel.

Think you're right, but when Selekt launched Linn demo'd it with B&W speakers to show it was for non-Exakt customers too. Does new MSDM have Exakt ports? Of course, Linn would like customers to move to its speakers, but wonder if it will upgrade amplifiers for non-Exakt speakers. An ADSM level box in new case with Organik and on-board Solo modules: I'm in the queue. However, no idea how long that queue would be. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

Perhaps if there's no great demand for Klimax Radikal & Solos in slim boxes, the price of ex-dem and s/h will drop and become affordable. 

I can’t help thinking that if Linn are moving towards Class D power amps, there could be plenty of room in the slim line cases.

‘troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Upvote 1
On 05/05/2021 at 08:15, entdgc said:

Spoke to my dealer today and he expressed his totally PERSONAL opinion (Linn dealers are not told of future plans to avoid compromising their integrity with customers) that he would be surprised if Akurate stayed around much longer. So the future would be Majik > Select > Klimax (x2?). I am not sure I agree with him. If you look at the current pricing there is a nice flow to the increasing products in the range. I can see a new Organik Akurate, probably with new casing to keep the new Linn aesthetic, replacing the Akurate and Original Klimax.

Linn HQ did have a meeting with the dealers on the fate of the Akurate line. Perhaps the dealer was at the meeting and knows something. I spoke with a dealer and got the opposite impression, but nothing definite

Personally, I am starting to see the old style Akurate boxes looking rather dated and out of place now. Also, it has been reported that a Select Hub sounds better than the Akurate Hub.

Posted (edited)

Poking around on the internet, I see that the Selekt System Hub is more expensive than the Akurate System Hub. But the Akurate DSM is more expensive than the Selekt Katalyst DSM. If the more expensive ones sound better, then this is rather confusing.

Edited by akamatsu
21 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

Reading al the positivity and technology on the new NGKDSM clock, a clock upgrade for ASH and ADSM seems like a logical step to me. Swap out the mainboard at the dealer and get back in the race.

I agree, probably together with the new 'house' case look. I gives a good opportunity to revalue the Akurate range (upwards of course).

To my eyes, Select has always been the high end "Kiko" offering - almost a parallel line to the Majik, Akurate, Klimax offering. This may well be changing - who knows?

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Poking around on the internet, I see that the Selekt System Hub is more expensive than the Akurate System Hub. But the Akurate DSM is more expensive than the Selekt Katalyst DSM. If the more expensive ones sound better, then this is rather confusing.

Me thinks that SSH vs ASH it’s a matter of finish which weighs in on the price difference, the ASH vs ADSM the other way around is because of Akurate Katalyst DAC vs Selekt Katalyst DAC.

Sometime ago somebody asked advice on the forum for a setup on ASH and AEBi vs SSH and AEBi. If I recall correct he went for the SSH on dealer advice because of the SSH being the better component.

SDSM and SSH would be great platforms to benefit from Organik or potential clock upgrade because of its cartridge infrastructure. To be honest, if a SSH would be a better source then ASH I would be interested as I like the Selekt design.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dasher said:

I agree, probably together with the new 'house' case look. I gives a good opportunity to revalue the Akurate range (upwards of course).

To my eyes, Select has always been the high end "Kiko" offering - almost a parallel line to the Majik, Akurate, Klimax offering. This may well be changing - who knows?

I think you are right, it would be logical IMHO.

38 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

SDSM and SSH would be great platforms to benefit from Organik or potential clock upgrade because of its cartridge infrastructure. To be honest, if a SSH would be a better source then ASH I would be interested as I like the Selekt design.

I sort of would - but it would depend on the 'biscuit tin' being rolled out across the Akurate range as I would like my boxes matched up (Uphorik, Radikal (A), EB-i). My suspicion is that the first hint of this will be a Selekt EB-i. The interesting thing about this would be whether the SEB-i would offer such good a value as the AEB-i. I can see it coming - and then Akurate is likely history. Selekt Radikal will then follow, Selekt Uphorik? Doubt it unfortunately as they will push Urika x instead.

51 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Sometime ago somebody asked advice on the forum for a setup on ASH and AEBi vs SSH and AEBi. If I recall correct he went for the SSH on dealer advice because of the SSH being the better component.

That conversation is what I recalled and to which I was referring. I also recall that the answer came from Linn HQ, and it was stated that the improvement was by virtue of Selekt being newer.