Passive speakers recommendations

Hi,

after almost a couple of years, finally managed to get office/guest room sorted with the desk, screen, Mac mini and so on. Am thinking about re-purposing my Amptastic Mini and Schiit Modi (?) DAC and get a pair of some bookshelf speakers that would sit on the desk.

Is there anything you'd recommend for less than £200 or should I just sell the Amptastic and Schiit and get some active computer speakers instead?

This won't be for any serious listening, but the audio on my monitor is really bad so the main use for speakers will be watching YouTube, some conferencing and occasional listening to music.

Any feedback/suggestions will be appreciated.

I would sell up and get some Kef LSX, after a dem (and then get something for them to sit on from the likes of IsoAcoustics or Auralex)

9 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I would sell up and get some Kef LSX, after a dem (and then get something for them to sit on from the likes of IsoAcoustics or Auralex)

thank you for suggestion, but that's £999 - seems like an overkill for the use case

I would probably get some active speakers, not computer ones. Brands such as Yamaha and Adams, these tend to be used in home studios. They are pro music products so tend to be good value.

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, hexx said:

thank you for suggestion, but that's £999 - seems like an overkill for the use case

That is quite understandable.....everyone has decide on what they are prepared to pay for an intended use, which will be based on daily usage, facilities and acceptable SQ. 

They may well be available cheaper ex-dem or used.

• Like 1

I have old (relatively) Dali Zensor 1s sitting on my desk and I think they are great for near-field listening at low volumes. Lots of detail and wide 3D soundstage and a SQ that fits with working whilst listening. I had them unused and had only been listening on headphones but have fallen in love with them again. Not sure if they are still made now or what the equivalent is, but at the time I bought them they were definitely in your budget range - I preferred them on listening tests to similarly priced models from Q Acoustics and others I cannot recall. They are bigger than computer speakers but my desk is quite large - I have them just less than 1 metre apart.
Cheers
Dave

DaliZensor1Desk.jpg

Well for what you want to do I would suggest the following which frankly is so good that given the constraints you are putting on the speakers you would have to spend lots more to better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303965562097?hash=item46c5c264f1:g:8PkAAOSwR7xgfCyX

• Like 1

Following on the Zensor theme mentioned by livingid above, I have a pair for sale on ebay at the moment (£100 + P&P):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154420422773?hash=item23f42ca875:g:iqEAAOSwC8lgfUdv

If you are interested, please get in touch.

I would agree with livingid - these are excellent speakers.  I am only getting rid of mine to upgrade to Dali Oberons - you can spot that I favour the Dali sound!

Regards,

Geoff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Geoff Stevens said:

Following on the Zensor theme mentioned by livingid above, I have a pair for sale on ebay at the moment (£100 + P&P):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154420422773?hash=item23f42ca875:g:iqEAAOSwC8lgfUdv

If you are interested, please get in touch.

I would agree with livingid - these are excellent speakers.  I am only getting rid of mine to upgrade to Dali Oberons - you can spot that I favour the Dali sound!

Regards,

Geoff

BTW: Surprisingly to me the Dali Zensor 1s are symbiotic with my Naim NAP140 - when I first tried them together my jaw dropped. Preserving the musicality but opening up my Naim combo like the Saras never really did. Not that I am going to get the Saras out of hibernation and onto my desk. That would be crazy. 

Thank you all, I will see if I can get away with Q Acoustics 3010(i) - they seem to be reasonable price

3 hours ago, hexx said:

Thank you all, I will see if I can get away with Q Acoustics 3010(i) - they seem to be reasonable price

They will probably surprise you. They did me. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

They will probably surprise you. They did me. 

that's what I'm hoping for, have lived for almost 3 years with Concept 20 and really liked them