Jump to content

Calling all Cornwall and west Devon internet users!


radiant red
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just been doing some homework on the internet in the Launceston area before I move. Showing 10mbps!! This isn’t good enough to run the streamer, gaming and the internet at the same time. What provider do you use and I might need to go fibre via sky but not sure if virgin fibre operate in the area. 
obviously I want to keep the costs down but need reliability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're being shown 10mbps as a likely broadband speed then that is going to be the same for any ISP unless the area is served by full-fibre. Any ADSL or FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) service will be using the same "last-mile" copper connection from the street cabinet to your property and therefore constrained to the same speeds, give or take. Only a full-fibre (FTTP as they call it - Fibre To The Premises) would give you the big speeds. Or a satellite broadband connection, but they're hideously expensive and not terribly practical.

Have you used this site to check? https://www.fibrebroadband.co.uk/availability/launceston/21592/  It would seem to suggest that Virgin does offer FTTP although you'll need your postcode to confirm coverage.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Another alternative is to use 4G if you have a decent 4G signal (check what speeds you can get on your smartphone on 4G). Our BT service maxes out at around 6 Megs download, so we had an EE 4G antenna/router installed - we can get a signal from Colonsay ~20 miles away and we now get upwards of 50 Megs download (occasionally as high as 90). Wasn't a cheap solution when we installed it but the data plans are getting cheaper by the week.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

If you're being shown 10mbps as a likely broadband speed then that is going to be the same for any ISP unless the area is served by full-fibre. Any ADSL or FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) service will be using the same "last-mile" copper connection from the street cabinet to your property and therefore constrained to the same speeds, give or take. Only a full-fibre (FTTP as they call it - Fibre To The Premises) would give you the big speeds. Or a satellite broadband connection, but they're hideously expensive and not terribly practical.

Have you used this site to check? https://www.fibrebroadband.co.uk/availability/launceston/21592/  It would seem to suggest that Virgin does offer FTTP although you'll need your postcode to confirm coverage.

Well done Jules 👍🏻 Looks interesting 

C87E98B6-5285-4CBA-8492-CA6A677579F9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Splendid - that sounds promising. I suppose I would caveat it by saying that what is shown on these websites is not guaranteed - individual circumstances might mean that you don't get exactly the quoted speeds, although full fibre should be consistent and accurate. @Tony_J's 4G suggestion is a good one too - I confess I'd not thought of that. Definitely worth considering as an alternative method if nothing else works out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Son is currently using the 4G in Derbyshire on some special machine so I’ll look into it too. 

7EDCAF58-7140-4E06-8EE7-6A7502E079FD.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just forgotten all about all this with everything else going on. Last thing I need is my other halves son having withdrawals symptoms lol 😂 

Not sure on the 4G signal down there yet. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’ve just forgotten all about all this with everything else going on. Last thing I need is my other halves son having withdrawals symptoms lol 😂 

Not sure on the 4G signal down there yet. 

Worth checking out all of the major 4G providers (EE, O2, Vodafone) as the coverage will be different from each.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what my son is using for 4G

A3F0AC13-874B-4CD0-ADA0-1D1070A62BBE.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, radiant red said:

This is what my son is using for 4G

A3F0AC13-874B-4CD0-ADA0-1D1070A62BBE.jpeg

Looks like that has a pair of sockets that allow attachment of external antennas to boost the signal. The setup I have is slightly different - the 4G radio, modem and router are mounted in the (dish) antenna itself and the whole thing is powered via an Ethernet cable using PoE. The advantage is that there is no signal attenuation between the antenna and the receiver (this can be quite significant, especially if you need a long cable run) and you can power it over up to 100 metres of Ethernet cable. Ours is mounted on a small hillock next to the house, to get a better sight of the mast on Colonsay, and we have about 50 metres of Cat6 running to a shed behind the house, which houses a router and connections back to the house LAN. The router probably isn't strictly necessary because there is already on in the dish. This is the beast:

https://linitx.com/category/mikrotik-antenna/1071/147,1030,1075,1071

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Looks like that has a pair of sockets that allow attachment of external antennas to boost the signal. The setup I have is slightly different - the 4G radio, modem and router are mounted in the (dish) antenna itself and the whole thing is powered via an Ethernet cable using PoE. The advantage is that there is no signal attenuation between the antenna and the receiver (this can be quite significant, especially if you need a long cable run) and you can power it over up to 100 metres of Ethernet cable. Ours is mounted on a small hillock next to the house, to get a better sight of the mast on Colonsay, and we have about 50 metres of Cat6 running to a shed behind the house, which houses a router and connections back to the house LAN. The router probably isn't strictly necessary because there is already on in the dish. This is the beast:

https://linitx.com/category/mikrotik-antenna/1071/147,1030,1075,1071

I thought I was up to speed on a lot of things but not this field lol. Thanks Tony

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is our 4G router. It is connected to a good quality external aerial. We went from about 8meg download and 0.3meg upload to 50 or 60 meg for both download and upload. I am on an unlimited data SIM contract.

The router only has two LAN connections so I have a nearby Cisco switch which then connects to another one in the hifi room via fibre.

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.aa43be0377e2e36a68465541afb1d0e8.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is it that nobody looks beyond the 2 channel section on this forum? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

How is it that nobody looks beyond the 2 channel section on this forum? 

🤔 Because it’s relevant to my 2 channel streamer 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anybody recommend a good electricity supplier?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...