Calling all Cornwall and west Devon internet users!

radiant red

1 minute ago, Warszawa said:

Can anybody recommend a good electricity supplier?

Sorry, I didn’t know you owned the forum. My sincere apologies 🥺

10 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

This is our 4G router. It is connected to a good quality external aerial. We went from about 8meg download and 0.3meg upload to 50 or 60 meg for both download and upload. I am on an unlimited data SIM contract.

The router only has two LAN connections so I have a nearby Cisco switch which then connects to another one in the hifi room via fibre.

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.aa43be0377e2e36a68465541afb1d0e8.jpg

Another good option. I suppose it’s down to contract. I assume once you have the contract, this too is an any home option without waiting weeks to be connected in the usual way. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warszawa said:

Sorry 😘

Your point is reasonably valid but ultimately streamer is a two channel Hifi item but I know that a friend relies on WiFi for his pacemaker so I suppose it could go elsewhere 😁

6 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Another good option. I suppose it’s down to contract. I assume once you have the contract, this too is an any home option without waiting weeks to be connected in the usual way. 

That's right - and if you need to switch to a different service for coverage reasons etc. it is just a SIM swap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I went with a contract with EE where they give the router for free. One could just as easily buy a 4G router and then get a 4G sim from EE.

I bought the aerial and put that on the house outside wall. Height is not too important, more is a direct line of sight to the transmitter.

From speaking to EE on the phone to having it delivered and up and running took less than 24hrs. EE seems to come out tops in the speed tests.

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 2

You can enter the postcode and look at the map to compare different networks' 4G coverage here:

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

You can enter the postcode and look at the map to compare different networks' 4G coverage here:

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

C0350BB7-3E94-4DEA-A50C-6994DC174C2E.jpeg

Did you check out the map? That'll give you a clear indication of which network to look at if you can't get fibre. I'm guessing it's not Three (absolute shite that network).

17 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Did you check out the map? That'll give you a clear indication of which network to look at if you can't get fibre. I'm guessing it's not Three (absolute shite that network).

Out of interest I looked for us and that map bears no relation to the signals we get at our house!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

4G Three isn’t working there, tbh it doesn’t work well in Berkshire either. Cheapest unlimited data tho £17 a month ... shame. 

3 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Out of interest I looked for us and that map bears no relation to the signals we get at our house!

Probably going to be a case of getting there and finding out. 

Here at St Eval, I have fibre to the premises, but I could only get BT (4years ago) who to be fair have been fine, I get 100mbs guaranteed, no complaints from me.

I think you may struggle with Virgin down here, but you are a bit nearer civilisation than me! So maybe ok.

Just done a speed test here 142mbs download 27mbs upload.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Here at St Eval, I have fibre to the premises, but I could only get BT (4years ago) who to be fair have been fine, I get 100mbs guaranteed, no complaints from me.

I think you may struggle with Virgin down here, but you are a bit nearer civilisation than me! So maybe ok.

Just done a speed test here 142mbs download 27mbs upload.

I think fibre is probably the way to go purely on stability. According to the agent down there, they use 4G and it’s intermittent due to heavy rain ️ lol

2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Another alternative is to use 4G if you have a decent 4G signal (check what speeds you can get on your smartphone on 4G). Our BT service maxes out at around 6 Megs download, so we had an EE 4G antenna/router installed - we can get a signal from Colonsay ~20 miles away and we now get upwards of 50 Megs download (occasionally as high as 90). Wasn't a cheap solution when we installed it but the data plans are getting cheaper by the week.

This is what I'll be using in Prague in a couple of weeks. They reckon we should get 100Mbps but we will see what actually comes through. The cost out there for this is no worse than a broadband deal here. It seems that 5G is rolling out quite quickly there as well.