Calling all Cornwall and west Devon internet users!

radiant red

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

I think fibre is probably the way to go purely on stability. According to the agent down there, they use 4G and it’s intermittent due to heavy rain ️ lol

Fibre is best but usually only available in urban areas. I have fibre to the street box and then copper to the house, speed is around 34mbps with BT. It depends how far you are from the exchange if it's not fibre. If you put in your postcode, you should see what is available on various comparison sites.

4G in my area is not very good. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, radiant red said:

4G Three isn’t working there, tbh it doesn’t work well in Berkshire either. Cheapest unlimited data tho £17 a month ... shame. 

A decent 4G outside aerial took us from one bar on the router to full signal strength.

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Out of interest I looked for us and that map bears no relation to the signals we get at our house!

Must be blocked by all the frerrites. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, radiant red said:

Just been doing some homework on the internet in the Launceston area before I move. Showing 10mbps!! This isn’t good enough to run the streamer, gaming and the internet at the same time. What provider do you use and I might need to go fibre via sky but not sure if virgin fibre operate in the area. 
obviously I want to keep the costs down but need reliability. 

If you go to sky fibre Jonathon I’d recommend using a Ethernet cable connection direct to your laptop for work purposes.  I had issues in the 1st lockdown last year with slow WiFi & dropouts etc even with a fibre connection.  As I understand (though not confirmed by sky etc) the more booster boxes used to spread your WiFi round the house the slower the WiFi goes ( I’ve got two plus an extra sky Q box).  Since I ran a cable from the main router to my laptop all has been fine at >38 MBit most days.

This could be worth a go.

https://www.mastdata.com

Download the app and it can tell you what provider has the strongest signal before you get a contract. There is a bit in the app that you can actually measure the 4g/5g signal from the major network providers.

• Upvote 1

BT are pretty good in St Austell. Possibly the best thing about the place, aside from the fact that I live there.. 

Maybe not the most helpful reply as you've done a coverage check but we've had no problems with reliability or speed. 

On 04/05/2021 at 18:25, MF 1000 said:

If you go to sky fibre Jonathon I’d recommend using a Ethernet cable connection direct to your laptop for work purposes.  I had issues in the 1st lockdown last year with slow WiFi & dropouts etc even with a fibre connection.  As I understand (though not confirmed by sky etc) the more booster boxes used to spread your WiFi round the house the slower the WiFi goes ( I’ve got two plus an extra sky Q box).  Since I ran a cable from the main router to my laptop all has been fine at >38 MBit most days.

WiFi boosters/extenders/mesh devices generally have a problem - if you don't place them optimally, you can end up boosting a poor (and therefore data rate limited) signal, so while the range/coverage gets extended, the speed available in what was previously a notspot may suffer even though the WiFi signal strength there is now good. So they are easy to set up but hard to set up well, and there's the inherent contradiction that the best place to site them is where the existing WiFi signal is good, but that may be the worst place for their intended purpose of improving the coverage. If you are able to lay Ethernet cables, you are always better off either using a direct cable connection to the end devices or using a cable connection to additional WiFi access points.

Spent a fair bit of time going through the options and many have their merits. I like the mobility of using 4G and some of those outside Ariel boosters look interesting but don’t want data limits. If I hardwire on Fibre, I’ll definitely use Ethernet cat cables. Luckily the cable line is directly below the room I’m going to use the Hifi in. The other will be for the sons gaming which is slightly further away but as the whole house needs decorating, it will be an ideal time to add the cables to the important rooms. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, radiant red said:

as the whole house needs decorating, it will be an ideal time to add the cables to the important rooms. 

Does this mean that we'll need to bring paintbrushes & records to your Bake-off? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I like the mobility of using 4G and some of those outside Ariel boosters look interesting but don’t want data limits.

Our EE 4G service is data unlimited - via a company called FreeClix. It wasn't cheap but at the time was the only option I could find that gave truly unlimited data. There are other options these days at better prices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Does this mean that we'll need to bring paintbrushes & records to your Bake-off? 

Now there’s an idea I hadn’t thought of 👍🏻😂 

Ive done most of the packing now (obviously some of the audio still out) I can’t do anything else until those solicitors pull their fingers out! Funny because when I complained yesterday, loads seem to have come about. Waiting for a Tin mine report now!!

D0534568-4017-4C24-9148-497A8645C40D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

Our EE 4G service is data unlimited - via a company called FreeClix. It wasn't cheap but at the time was the only option I could find that gave truly unlimited data. There are other options these days at better prices.

Yes Tony, son does EE. Three is the cheapest at £17 unlimited but nothing available in the area yet. I think the easiest option is Fibre but I’ll monitor the 4/5G progress and perhaps look to swap down the line. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting reading this but I have a question on 4G use. If you buy a 4G router with a sim insert can you just then buy a SIM Card deal with Unlimited DATA insert that and then that is it ? Or do you need to sign up for a specific Broadband deal with a 4G operator ?

You seem to be able to get unlimited sims from around £15 a month but Broadband deal are more like £40 .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bencat said:

Interesting reading this but I have a question on 4G use. If you buy a 4G router with a sim insert can you just then buy a SIM Card deal with Unlimited DATA insert that and then that is it ? Or do you need to sign up for a specific Broadband deal with a 4G operator ?

You seem to be able to get unlimited sims from around £15 a month but Broadband deal are more like £40 .

Good point 👍🏻

Smarty unlimited £20 a month with no contract.. just need a router and Ariel