Some while ago (11 yrs iirc) I sold off the LP12/Naim, partly to pay for some training, but mostly because I'd had a Linn/Naim system since I was in my teens - just.

I assembled a cheap 2nd hand system - Royd/JVC/Arcam - and slowly built up again. I was lucky with the Royds, not the highest of fi but banged out a tune etc.

Some side-ways moves, but not too many. I managed to get an Exposure amp for little money which served me well for 7 years.

I just upgraded as money allowed, but never in my old obsessive way.

I never felt cheated, the music was always great.

If you look left you'll not see a 'flat-earth' system. rofl.  It was mainly due to listening and dem's of stuff I never thought I'd buy, especially the amp.

TBH, I believe I've got the best system I've ever had (I dread to think how much I spent on Naim - tho' it was a modest-ish system).

This brings us back to aural memory. Who cares, if you're happy with what's playing surely that's the point? Maybe I was lucky with  most of my downgrade choices and oppotunities.

I'm as happy as a happy thing now.

ps. getting the digital side sorted was a real pain. Analogue is easy, to me at least.

• Like 1
I probably could. But just to clarify, right now I have precisely ZERO money to spend on hi-fi, hence I am selling things rather than buying. At the moment I have no job, therefore no income, and am still reeling from the financial shock of paying for my dog's vets bills. So there is absolutely no way I am buying anything else, I'm making do with what I have. And also to be fair, the A-400 is a pretty decent amp - it's not doing a bad job at all, it's just showing its shortcomings in comparison to the Gato.
I created this thread more for the discussion around our perception and memory of sound, rather than looking for kit suggestions. I was interested to hear (pun not intended) how other people view "audio memory", i.e. how we think we remember something sounding, and how we adjust over time to changes. So far I seem to be going the other way to most people, i.e. finding that what sounded dreadful on an initial half-hour or so has actually become more listenable after a couple of days, whether that's related to electrical changes in the equipment from regular use, or just simply down to a combination of my audio memory and my perception of my hearing adapting to the change and making allowances for it.

You could probably sell the 740C and buy a Jolida DAC if one pops up for almost a net zero sum. I think this will bring quite a big improvement and smooth things over. I used to own the Cambridge 840C, but after a while it was just too bright and harsh for my tastes. I tried a Jolida which was a big improvement and used the 840C as a transport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the point of adaptation - I have found the same whenever I upgrade. Once the novelty wears off, I get used to the change and I don’t enjoy my system any more or less than I used to. I enjoyed it just as much x upgrades and £££’s ago.

I often wondered what it would be like to travel the same journey backwards, and if I would be able to adapt just as quickly again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The mind plays such tricks. I've plugged in my old Revolver R16's today for a whirl. On the hour I prefer them, at ten past I prefer my others, at twenty past I'm unsure and round we go again.

Everything has it's merits and downsides. Personally, I've learnt my first impressions can be wrong or right. Lots of gentle relaxed (not necessarily at low volume mind you) listening of a wide range of material is the only way my brain can possibly choose! 

Others might be more objective from the start line, me - I'm beginning to learn all sorts of bias and different material have a big impact.

Roll with it, if you're enjoying that's good. Best not to compare and see where you end up.

Glad Roxy is on the mend.

And I forgot to say mood is also such a big part of this game. And not just does the choice of music suit the mood.

Edited by Headcoat
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

The mind plays such tricks. I've plugged in my old Revolver R16's today for a whirl. On the hour I prefer them, at ten past I prefer my others, at twenty past I'm unsure and round we go again.

Everything has it's merits and downsides. Personally, I've learnt my first impressions can be wrong or right. Lots of gentle relaxed (not necessarily at low volume mind you) listening of a wide range of material is the only way my brain can possibly choose! 

Others might be more objective from the start line, me - I'm beginning to learn all sorts of bias and different material have a big impact.

Roll with it, if you're enjoying that's good. Best not to compare and see where you end up.

Glad Roxy is on the mend.

When I relax & stop analysing & enjoy my set up...it tends to become part of my life.  If I then get caught (the ridiculous obsessive) I will mess....again. The only true way to get over hifi-itis is, once happy, putting Postits on your spkrs to remind you of your failings. .....and of course "listen" to the music"   xD   imo. 

* This can save thousands & also encourage humorous debate.

Edited by garn63
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, garn63 said:

When I relax & stop analysing & enjoy my set up...it tends to become part of my life.  If I then get caught (the ridiculous obsessive) I will mess....again. The only true way to get over hifi-itis is, once happy, putting Postits on your spkrs to remind you of your failings. .....and of course "listen" to the music"   xD   imo. 

* This can save thousands & also encourage humorous debate.

There is a whole industry that depends on Not doing that. As it is, it's only a handful of Old Nutters that keep the wheels turning. If we Wise Up, the whole thing grinds to a halt. :geek:9_9

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

There is a whole industry that depends on Not doing that. As it is, it's only a handful of Old Nutters that keep the wheels turning. If we Wise Up, the whole thing grinds to a halt. :geek:9_9

Very........interesting.                              * Marty Feldman (hifi enthusiast)

Think it should be maybe be the pre requisite/ reward for 40yrs of hifi obsession. A club maybe ? .....bit like the Masons. :) 

Well Jules I hope your dog will be better, you have a good heart for doing all this to make him (her?) better.

There's a positive side to listening to the Mazda, I mean Pioneer for a while. Once your dog is recovered and you get the hifi-itis yourself again, you'll probably want a better amp again and there's this beautiful world outside where you can go auditioning again :D 

By the way, personally I'd keep the amp and the sonos and sell everything else...

• Haha 1