Speaker Advice

tommortr

Would it be possible to put the speakers at the other end either side of the opening to the conservatory and put at least one chair where the speakers are now?  Not easy to see from the last photo if this is doable?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Would it be possible to put the speakers at the other end either side of the opening to the conservatory and put at least one chair where the speakers are now?  Not easy to see from the last photo if this is doable?

Good choice as that alcove would act as an echo chamber. Speakers firing into the main space and chair where the speakers are now would be the best solution along with a sound deadening rug. 
You will just need to be clever with speaker cabling to get the best option. 
When done, if you want to change the speakers then, that would be the best time. Doing it before would be a complete waste of money as you will never get the right balance.

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

Good choice as that alcove would act as an echo chamber. Speakers firing into the main space and chair where the speakers are now would be the best solution along with a sound deadening rug. 
You will just need to be clever with speaker cabling to get the best option. 
When done, if you want to change the speakers then, that would be the best time. Doing it before would be a complete waste of money as you will never get the right balance.

If it is possible to move them where suggested also toe them in a bit to reduce the reflections off of the side walls.

1 hour ago, tommortr said:

The room dimensions are 3.5 meters wide x 6.8 meters long, and as you can see the speakers are positioned close together on the short wall.
In fairness, I knew I would be in for a bit of rinsing for my setup positioning. I know it is less than ideal, so was fearful of posting pictures, that said I am glad to have the advice as I have huge aspirations to try and tweak the most from the kit and the room. fc9cc8de3701e8e3d0304baa3cd12c0a.jpg
Position from front of speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your room is not that narrow but it's quite long, it would be better to place the speakers on the long wall.

Where do you usually sit?

Stereo is a single seater experience at the apex of an equilateral triangle, but perhaps you could consider other options like upmixing to 4 wireless speakers and achieve a better coverage of your room.

39 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I thought that too.  It's a lovely space.  I would have them either side of the opening (on brackets :)) so I could have the nice view down the garden while listening. The space seems too small to have spkrs on the floor.

• Upvote 1

After some different locations, I swapped to one of the long walls
The speakers are 1.2 meters apart and 35 cm from rear wall.
Still some compromises, but will have to listen and tweak as appropriate. Many thanks for all your advice.....5e010443caea5524792a1304c7611c6f.jpg

Despite some marital disharmony, which should resolve with counselling and support
My wife has finally got her wish for having a rug on the floor.
I will park my upgraditis for the moment while I evaluate the new setup.

• Like 2

To get the speakers further apart, put the triffid between the rack and the LH speaker. 

• Upvote 2

I can see by your photos it is not easy to get the hifi positioned at it's best in your room.  Your room looked much more narrow in your photos than the 11' 5", and the way you have positioned the speakers now, are they not firing your fireplace?

If so does that mean you would have to move a chair to be in the ideal place every time you decided to do some serious listening?  If so and you don't mind doing this all is good, but I liked Radient Red's suggestion of either side of the opening, I've seen many photo's of members systems that have to work in rooms quite a bit more narrow than yours.

• Like 1

That door handle is awfully close:shock:

It’s alright , there’s a door stop there

• Upvote 1

I can see by your photos it is not easy to get the hifi positioned at it's best in your room.  Your room looked much more narrow in your photos than the 11' 5", and the way you have positioned the speakers now, are they not firing your fireplace?
If so does that mean you would have to move a chair to be in the ideal place every time you decided to do some serious listening?  If so and you don't mind doing this all is good, but I liked Radient Red's suggestion of either side of the opening, I've seen many photo's of members systems that have to work in rooms quite a bit more narrow than yours.

I did try it on either side of the fireplace, but the speakers were almost up against chair and couch.
This is the best position, and even in an offset seat the system sounds better.
It sounds airier, soundstage has opened up and it has lost the booming base.
In the long term I am tempted to get a smaller speaker.
A rug has been ordered...so will see what that will change.