Organik Speaker and Exaktbox Upgrades

Thought I would start a thread on this particular topic, now prices are available, see who's thinking about it, see who's put orders in, considerations for Akurate level later etc.

350 Upgrade is 10,800 GBP (list price of new has gone from £49,500 to £57,500)

Klimax Exaktbox Upgrade is £5,400 (list price of new has gone from £12,000 to £15,000)

As Akubarik is 5 way too, perhaps it will also see a £10,000 upgrade cost?

Will Akurate Exaktbox 6 also have a £5,400 upgrade, or will Organik at that level be "de-tuned" and offered at a lower price?

The jumps are much bigger than Katalyst, so it needs to be good!

Posted (edited)

IIRC the Katalyst upgrade to 350 was £6800. I wonder if the percentage increase to Organik holds true across all products. Anyone know what the other Katalyst upgrades cost?

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll

My best guess would be that if Organik comes available it will follow the same “stepped” price increase from the lowest to the highest rung with a price-increase of 15-20% on top of what the Katalyst upgrades cost.

If.. and if it comes available for my AEBi I will definitely go for a dem. The hype is getting under my skin and the change form M140 to Keltik just gave more insight in what is possible with the AEBi, it seems that it has a lot more to offer then it already did. Knowing this the more curious I am for possible upgrades and Organik seems the most logical one in the horizon.

I guess the worm is sensitive for organic.

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Thought I would start a thread on this particular topic, now prices are available, see who's thinking about it, see who's put orders in, considerations for Akurate level later etc.

350 Upgrade is 10,800 GBP (list price of new has gone from £49,500 to £57,500)

Klimax Exaktbox Upgrade is £5,400 (list price of new has gone from £12,000 to £15,000)

As Akubarik is 5 way too, perhaps it will also see a £10,000 upgrade cost?

Will Akurate Exaktbox 6 also have a £5,400 upgrade, or will Organik at that level be "de-tuned" and offered at a lower price?

The jumps are much bigger than Katalyst, so it needs to be good!

My Katalyst upgrade for my Akubariks was around $8300 Cdn, so approximately £4800

My Akurate Exaktbox 6 upgrade to Katalyst was around $2100 Cdn, so approximately £1230 as I recall

For my Akurate Exaktbox I with Katalyst, I decided to buy a brand new one and sell off the Majik Exaktbox I, last fall, so I am not sure what the upgrade cost was for Katalyst.

As I've posted elsewhere, a dealer estimated based on the price of the Klimax 350 upgrade, and the previous Katalyst upgrades, that the Akubariks would come in at about US$9000.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would also be very curious if Exaktbox-i's would be upgradeable to Organik. It would make sense for Linn to get thousands of pounds for a circuit board. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I would also be very curious if Exaktbox-i's would be upgradeable to Organik. It would make sense for Linn to get thousands of pounds for a circuit board. 

I'm thinking the Akurate Exaktbox-i would be the very last to get the Organik upgrade. I hear Linn R&D are developing a shoehorn to make it happen.

I'm wondering if the price of Katalyst will go down. If so, perhaps Series 5 and Series 3 could upgrade to Katalyst, also, Majik DSM.

1 minute ago, akamatsu said:

I'm wondering if the price of Katalyst will go down. If so, perhaps Series 5 and Series 3 could upgrade to Katalyst, also, Majik DSM.

So at this moment is Katalyst a deprecated product? If so it would mean the 5 series speakers would only get an Organik upgrade?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

So at this moment is Katalyst a deprecated product? If so it would mean the 5 series speakers would only get an Organik upgrade?

Having owned 530s and having waited for Katalyst to no avail, I understood that Katalyst was not made available due to price. Katalyst should go down in price as it's no longer top of the line, I would think.

I don't think Series 5 will get the Organik treatment for the same reason it never got the Katalyst treatment; price.

Katalyst AEB-i upgrade is £2250. Its certainly;y not linked to just the number of channels as the AEB 6  is 'only' £1200.

'Katalyst go down in price' - come - on! we're talking Linn here!

I was a little surprised that AEB-i was offered as Katalyst before they upgraded the amps from the old Majik EB-i  (which as far as I can tell is still the case). My guess is that a Class D EB-i is on the way  - probably a 'Selekt' one. I'm also predicting that there will be a significant move upwards in price for the 'rung' ranges (whatever they may be) keeping Majik as the hook (and a full magic offering via the integrated DSM)  and then aspirational jumps.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I wouldn’t consider it to be deprecated - it’s still in many current products and is still listed as an upgrade to pre2016 Klimax DS(M)s and Akurates in the March ‘21 Price List. 

‘troll

• Like 1

I'd be curious how long Linn is able to consistently supply Katalyst since they are using an AKM chip, and it seems as if with all the recent news about chip shortages, the fire at AKM's factory some months ago, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a natural transition to a "lite" version of Organik with their own bespoke circuit so they are less reliant on third parties for parts.

Of course this may not be economically feasible, however my thought is that now that they have the skillset and associated fab equipment to build their own DAC circuit it would make sense to move in that general direction moving forward.

Personally I think this would also give them a lot more opportunity to do the things we are speculating on (i.e. bringing an upgrade to 520's and 30's, Organik for AEB-i). 

It remains to be seen what will transpire...

Also from what I gathered, Linn were hesitant to bring Katalyst to Series 5 not only because of price but also because of perceived sell through were an upgrade offered. It was their thinking (erroneously or not) that in general the customer for Series 5 was not a "typical" Linn HiFi enthusiast and would likely not jump on the opportunity to upgrade with any urgency. I think the pricing in combination with this general sentiment was what led them to keeping Katalyst within the more traditional "separates" market.

• Like 2

I see things similar to you - I'm not at all sure that Linn's future strategic direction is into a marketplace where 'upgrades' form a key part of the revenue stream - firmware upgrades? yes, chip replacements? I doubt it .

They are moving into a market sphere where leasing the equipment could become a business model though - let's see.