Organik Speaker and Exaktbox Upgrades

1 hour ago, Elad Repooc said:

I'd be curious how long Linn is able to consistently supply Katalyst since they are using an AKM chip, and it seems as if with all the recent news about chip shortages, the fire at AKM's factory some months ago, etc.

I’m pretty sure some modestly priced Topping DACs have the same AKM chip, so maybe those interested could buy one, or a similar Chi-Fi product, and send it to Linn along with their DS/DSM to be Katalysed?!  I’m only half joking. 

• Haha 1

I’m pretty sure some modestly priced Topping DACs have the same AKM chip, so maybe those interested could buy one, or a similar Chi-Fi product, and send it to Linn along with their DS/DSM to be Katalysed?!  I’m only half joking. 

I think I get the joke... but actually this may be more complicated than it might seem. From how I comprehend many areas of electronics manufacturing to operate, just because Linn and X brand (Topping in this case, or Marantz in another, it really doesn't matter) are using the same model of chip (i.e. AKM4497 or whatever), it does not necessarily mean all AKM4497 meet the same spec. There may be variations in tolerances allowed by some brands whereas not by others, etc. 

I'm not saying this is actually the case here, only that it is certainly possible. I have observed this in other areas of electronics, not just audio.

And of course we all know that there are vast differences with respect to how a manufacturer might decide to use the part in question in the first place. So it could be that even though the part is the same, the manufacturer could choose to use it in a way that otherwise renders it unable for "harvest" or re-use in another product. 

Though who knows, maybe it will soon become a cheaper way to upgrade to Katalyst? Perhaps I should start scooping up whatever I can with an AKM4497 (is that what they use? I will be double checking....)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Elad Repooc said:

AKM4497 (is that what they use? I will be double checking....)

Yes, I think it’s full designation is AKM AK4497EQ. 

https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/audio/audio-dac/ak4497eq/

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/557566.html

Edited by Nopiano

Yes, I think it’s full designation is AKM AK4497EQ. 

I know more about this particular piece than many would, not because of anything having to do with Linn however :)

Suffice it to say the experiences I've had with Linn's implementation are in another category entirely from the offerings of others using the same thing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elad Repooc said:

I know more about this particular piece than many would, not because of anything having to do with Linn however :)

Suffice it to say the experiences I've had with Linn's implementation are in another category entirely from the offerings of others using the same thing.

Sure thing.  I’m not saying you can buy a $300 product that’ll sound like Linn’s, but merely addressing your supposition that supply of the actual chips was the issue.  I haven’t seen Linn say much about it, aside from suspending upgrades for a period, and I’m not sure I’ve read anything to confirm if availability or the factory fire was the inspiration behind the FPGA route they’ve decided to follow.  My hunch is that was their intention long before the AKM fire, having doubtless seen the roaring success of the British Chord company - the DAC manufacturers, not the similarly named cable people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1