JAV Audio Silver Reference RCA interconnect cables

Posted (edited)

A pair of beautifully artisan-constructed Silver Reference RCA interconnects 63cm in length from the now defunct JAV Audio who were based in Leeds, in excellent condition.  They are solid core 99.99997% silver, and I’ve never heard a better interconnect - whether silver, copper or mixtures of both: incredible detail and focus whilst not compromising warmth and emotion, amazing soundstage and really superb with any genre of music. (I still have a pair I’m keeping, but move to integrated amp made these redundant).  They have detachable grounding cables which can be seen on attached photos - again very well constructed. The RCA/phono connectors are of very high quality - again solid silver and silver-soldered internally with external gold-plated screw-secured covers. I sold a pair of similar JAV Silver Reference speaker cables to a Wammer a couple of years ago and he was delighted with them.  These cost me £260 new which I thought was very reasonable then compared to some of the solid silver cables on offer from the likes of Nordost or Chord (around 10 years ago); looking for £95 + RM tracked delivery (around £4-£5).

9BA83406-D250-4D40-8B1D-3B5301A477D0.jpeg

49A613E7-FFEB-4F02-8917-FC977804EB30.jpeg

13A67115-9B37-49EA-A3C9-E294EE23361B.jpeg

40CD1E90-1A84-4AB3-80BB-0E78A399CE34.jpeg

33F55966-FC75-4DCC-B027-414A693E1932.jpeg

Edited by Blodger

PM sent

I'm taking a bit of a punt on this, what I want to know is what's the impact of me grounding the earth lead(s) to the chassis of the source component? Or any other unit for that matter.

The reason I'm wanting to try it is that I've been getting electric shocks off my second system for a while. Since I've put in the Ming Da valve pre I recently bought, the sound also goes off momentarily and then comes back up to full volume in about a second. This is when I touch the volume knob, or any metal on a component in the system.

It was doing this before but not actually losing volume. I suppose I should be worried...

If it doesn't help I'll have a fancy cable anyway

That's an open question to forum members btw, not Roger!

Re the grounding cables, I should’ve said perhaps that these can be connected to a ground/earth post on an amplifier or power conditioner.  However, I’ve just remembered that the people at JAV Audio also made me a custom-made grounding plug that connects only directly to the mains earth - i.e. the plug has only the earth cable wired.  I used this with both the speaker cables that had earth clips as well as the interconnect.  I’ll have to retrieve it from the attic, as I’d been using the ground post on my Puritan conditioner - but if anyone wants it, I’ll be happy to sell it: it’s very well constructed as with their other cables.  I’ll get some photos up, probably tomorrow.

In response to Lawrence’s query, this is the earth cable I used which was custom made for me by JAV Audio - it’s a metre in length, and contains only one solid core thick copper wire which at one end is soldered into a loop, and the other is connected only to the plug’s earth terminal.  Thus it provides the most direct earth connection possible.  The mini crocodile clamps used on the interconnect can clamp straight on to the loop.  It can take around four clamps, or multiple wires looped on to the cable loop.  Very well made, heavy duty cable, etc.

2C71D18A-50E1-409B-AF06-F1152E3E2F3B.jpeg

94B66C4F-319B-40C5-9E63-F980892BDD07.jpeg

4632ED4E-BC46-4818-89B7-057AA7FB49F9.jpeg

A81C2AC3-8C6B-459E-A5BB-A9FDAF547325.jpeg

Listening to the RCAs now, they are very good indeed. I usually find that cottage industry cables are great value compared to their big name rivals. No surprise of course, that's one of the few areas in this industry where they can have an advantage.