Posted (edited)

I'll be getting a Majik LP12 for a new system. I will have a surplus ARadikal to be fitting at time of purchase. Of course, a Trampolin will also be added. I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade to go ahead with a Kore at the same time. I've never compared to the Majik Sub-chassis as I went from Cirkus sub-chassis to Kore. Any thought? Thank you.

Edited by akamatsu

I did the same - Cirkus Chassis to Kore and then Rad(A) and Karousel to the Kore LP12.

I've also changed the Cirkus Chassis on the other (Lingo) LP12  to a new Majik  Chassis. The change is noticeable. Prior to upgrading the main (Kore) LP12 to Karousel and Rad(A)  it was Kore, Cirkus, Lingo  and so the main difference was the Kore (and one has an Ittok, the other an Ekos 2). The difference from cirkus to Kore I found to be immediately noticeable. The change to Majik from circus, whist noticeable, I find it less than the change to Kore. However, if I had the Majik to start with then I probably wouldn't find the kore that great a step. Also, the Kore brings a 'different' sound. My Majik chassis LP12 has always exhibited an immediacy  in presentation -  the Majik chassis has retained that - which was important as  we wanted to keep that signature - the Kore makes everything a bit more 'polite'. Personally I think that the Majik chassis is pretty good. Irrespective of hierarchy, if I already had Majik chassis, Rad(A) and Karousel   - before I dropped $1k on a Kore I'd be thinking of swapping out the Krane for a well sorted Ittok (ie buy an Ittok of eBay and send it to Johnnie7 at AO for bearings (if necessary) and a rewire. The Ittok will, of course, handle much more than an Adikt.....

• Like 1

If you’re swapping bits out, it’s not worth ordering the Majik package (which is a slightly discounted price over the kit of parts, IIRC) as you’ll then lose out on trading in the PSU/motor, baseboard and sub chassis/arm board if you go for Kore. Personally, I’d go for the Kore all day long, especially if you compromised on the cartridge rather than the Adikt. I’ve never had the chance to A/B the Majik/Kore, but would always go best spec within budget.

’troll

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

If you’re swapping bits out, it’s not worth ordering the Majik package (which is a slightly discounted price over the kit of parts, IIRC) as you’ll then lose out on trading in the PSU/motor, baseboard and sub chassis/arm board if you go for Kore. Personally, I’d go for the Kore all day long, especially if you compromised on the cartridge rather than the Adikt. I’ve never had the chance to A/B the Majik/Kore, but would always go best spec within budget.

I think that you're right. On reflection, if I already had the Radikal(A) and the Tramp then I personally would buy a kit of bits and build it up. If I was doing that then I would use a Kore as, as  a unit, it's not significantly more expensive than buying a Majik chassis as a unit). There are some big cost savings to be had - for example there are nice plinths around that are offered as pre-owned as people move to a Harban or other after-market one).  The attraction that I see in the Majik as a starting point is that it looks like some of the stand alone retail cost of the Karousel has been 'lost' in the total package price.

I was sad enough to swap out my Karousel and try Majik/Cirkus, Majik/Karousel back to back against Kore/Cirkus. The Majik/Karousel sounds different to the Kore Cirkus (and Kore Karousel). I have the Kore/Karousel in my main LP12 and currently the Majik chassis LP12 has a cirkus - it will be getting a Karousel but I won't be putting a Kore in there too.

What is interesting is that we play very different types of music in our two rooms - the main LP12 is used predominantly for 'jazz' (Late 50's Blue Note up to 21st century) and the Majik chassis for more contemporary rock/singer songwriter stuff. 

One day the 'Kore' will make way for a Keel but will I sell it on or replace the Majik chassis with the it? I'll almost certainly sell it on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

’troll

It might be worth getting the package as the discount for the package is significant (probably in the range of $1000 to $1200 - we don't know for sure until Linn publishes the separate price for the Krane).  akamatsu should also be able to sell the Majik sub chassis/armboard to get back some of the cost of the Kore if he chooses to go that way.  I don't know if he can really get much for the power supply or motor, but you never know.  Kore is a fair bit better than the Majik subchassis but I wouldn't call it night and day.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Kore is a fair bit better than the Majik subchassis but I wouldn't call it night and day.

Perhaps this is what I was looking for. When I upgraded from Cirkus sub-chassis to Kore, it was night and day. I may opt to not complicate things too much and keep the package intact. I'll just have the A Radikal installed along with a Trampolin at time of purchase. Then there will be beautiful music in the Japan house. It should outperform an Akurate LP12.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Kore is a fair bit better than the Majik subchassis but I wouldn't call it night and day.

How about Majik vs Cirkus?  Night, day or not much difference?

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Perhaps this is what I was looking for. When I upgraded from Cirkus sub-chassis to Kore, it was night and day. I may opt to not complicate things too much and keep the package intact. I'll just have the A Radikal installed along with a Trampolin at time of purchase. Then there will be beautiful music in the Japan house. It should outperform an Akurate LP12.

Good decision.

• Like 1

Another thought occurred to me. When I upgraded to Kore from Cirkus, there was a Radikal in place already. So I was hearing the improvement bought about by the Kore, but also revealing more of the Radikal improvement. This will be the case with the Majik LP12. I'll still hold off though. I just thought it was an interesting observation on how the hierarchy works.

So a Majik LP12/ARadikal, Majik DSM, and Majik 109 speakers with stands would be a very nice and musical system, I think.

The next logical upgrade would be the Kore.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, sktn77a said:

How about Majik vs Cirkus?  Night, day or not much difference?

I agree with akamatsu that the Cirkus to Kore is a night and day upgrade.  The Kore gives you something like 80% of what the Keel does.  The Majik sub chassis gives you a fair bit of what the Kore does, but the Kore is definitely better.  Both the Majik sub chassis and Kore use the same aluminum sub chassis that is made of three sheets of aluminum fused together to form a box section with a brace running right to left.  Both also have the sub chassis extending under the arm collar mount so you are no longer mounting the arm collar to the armboard and the armboard to the sub chassis, as with the Cirkus.  Instead you are mounting the arm collar through the armboard directly to the sub chassis, giving a more rigid connection.  With the Kore you are also strengthening the armboard by it being CNC machined out of solid aluminum billet and fusing it to the sub chassis, so you get an even more direct connection of the arm to the bearing.  I haven't done direct A/Bs of Majik sub chassis vs. Cirkus but my feeling is that the Majik takes you about half way from the Cirkus to the Kore.  So in my estimation the upgrade from Cirkus to Majik and from Majik to Kore are both substantial and worthwhile, but the night and day improvement is Cirkus to Kore.  And, of course, Keel.

• Like 1