Refoaming speakers

Got two 8.5 inch drivers that need new foams.
I don’t want to mess them up doing them myself. Has anyone done this or got advice on who to go to to get them repaired?
Or give advice about DIY repairs.
Thanks

Posted (edited)

Tell you who helped me out many years ago - Cartman on PFM. He refoamed my JPW AP3s and did a fantastic job too.

Edited by myles
Not atcman!
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spider said:

I don’t want to mess them up doing them myself. Has anyone done this or got advice on who to go to to get them repaired?
Thanks

I have zero mechanical skills and would just not try this myself . One day I am going to buy a decent cheap but knackered pair of speakers and do this but do not hold your breath. Both TonyJ and Greybeard have done this and I am sure could offer advice if you decide to give it a try contact them.

Edited by bencat
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Thanks

Have you got original foams to replace them with, that is important. The job is fiddly, but you just need patience. I have done a few pairs including 15" & 12 Tannoy HPD's. Have a look at this Video and see how you feel about attempting it.

(55) Speaker Repair and Replacement of Foam Surrounds on Cerwin Vega and Others - YouTube

• Like 1

I haven’t sourced the new surrounds yet

where is best place to find them?

they are:

SEAS CA 21 RE H 397-08 OHM WOOFER

I’ve done a few pairs, HB1’s, AP3 and some Snell’s.
That video is a useful tool and it’s like most jobs, metaphorically speaking “measure twice, cut once”.
Some refoam kits come with the correct glue, remove the driver from the speaker (easier to work on), remove old surround and ensure no traces of the old surround or blue left.
When gluing new surround in place I used clothes pegs to hold in place (ensuring the driver moves up and down without scraping).
Let glue dry, check pistonic action is smooth and reinstall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk