Anyone heard a meridian dsp 8000 special edition powered speaker

Hi all :)

I've been offered a great deal on a used pair of these speakers. I have been trying to go active with my own DIY speakers with mostly tube amps, as I love the smoothness and the warmth. But temptation of getting everything in one single box is over whelming. Did try checking out online reviews, but they all seem to be very dodgy regarding their conclusions.  So I thought I'd refer to the wam,  and see if anyone has heard these speakers. Thanks to kindly share your impressions, good or bad :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am also saying that, yes.  I had an issue with a Meridian M80 and likewise they told me to go to a dealer (I went to Robert Taussig who only wasted weeks of my time for no benefit). Their kit i

One thing to be considered when buying Meridian equipment is support. I’m not sure if the situation has improved but a while back they stopped supporting customers directly and insisted you went throu

These are my options 🤔 I’ve heard the original 8000’s and was totally underwhelmed. Like Naim and Linn, Meridian never really get into the mainstream public on speakers. Only the die hard fans will be

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

These are my options 🤔 I’ve heard the original 8000’s and was totally underwhelmed. Like Naim and Linn, Meridian never really get into the mainstream public on speakers. Only the die hard fans will be convinced. The 8000.2 are 38k and give them a year and they will loose nearly two thirds of the value and as for the SE version at 50k!! well...

Seriously my friend, go ATC or if you were going to spend a lot on speakers, buy some passive Wilson’s 👍🏻

Edited by radiant red
  • Upvote 2

Well I couldn’t disagree more. I would say that the DSP-8000s are one of the three best loudspeakers I have ever heard. When considering the choice of our ‘forever’ loudspeakers, it came down to these or B&O Beolab 90s for Mrs. B and me.

In the end we went for the 90s as we both felt they just had the edge (plus our local B&O dealer had a damn good discount on their old demo pair!).

However, this doesn’t take anything away from the 8000s. I still think they are utterly wonderful things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Well I couldn’t disagree more. I would say that the DSP-8000s are one of the three best loudspeakers I have ever heard. When considering the choice of our ‘forever’ loudspeakers, it came down to these or B&O Beolab 90s for Mrs. B and me.

In the end we went for the 90s as we both felt they just had the edge (plus our local B&O dealer had a damn good discount on their old demo pair!).

However, this doesn’t take anything away from the 8000s. I still think they are utterly wonderful things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m surprised you say this. For the money, there are far more talented speakers out there and as for the depreciation!! Horrendous 

I think for list for list price, most wouldn’t consider these but like I said in my first post, my options and you have yours 😊

11 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’m surprised you say this. For the money, there are far more talented speakers out there and as for the depreciation!! Horrendous 

I think for list for list price, most wouldn’t consider these but like I said in my first post, my options and you have yours 😊

I heard some Meridian DSP something- or - other, over a decade ago (cost £10k ish?). They sounded very good - but I personally think were a bit pricy for the performance they gave.

• Like 1

I’d rather buy an ex dem pair of Wilson Audio Yvette speakers (new 28k) and a second hand pair of Audio Research Ref 210 mono amps. 
Roughly the cost would be around 29k

This combination would walk all over those DSP’s and would hold value better for longer 

CC6F37E1-FEBD-4812-AD2E-EEA0C7A875A7.jpeg

6B7A770B-BD47-4A12-B25B-4E3C00FB8C53.jpeg

I guess I should mention  the price here, to probably add the price to performance equation. They were originally posted for GBP 15K, but reduced to GBP 10k now.

I could sell a lot of stuff I love to accumulate the funds. But my main issue is that, if they end up sounding completely neutral like ATC or PMC speakers. Then it will be a heart break, having lost all my tube amps, and also losing the warmth and smoothness I love.

1 minute ago, newlash09 said:

I guess I should mention  the price here, to probably add the price to performance equation. They were originally posted for GBP 15K, but reduced to GBP 10k now.

I could sell a lot of stuff I love to accumulate the funds. But my main issue is that, if they end up sounding completely neutral like ATC or PMC speakers. Then it will be a heart break, having lost all my tube amps, and also losing the warmth and smoothness I love.

So 50k 8000SE for 10k? 

Just now, radiant red said:

So 50k 8000SE for 10k? 

Yes sir :D

Originally posted at 20k, and  been gradually coming down due to lack of takers sadly. I guess at this price level, everyone is a tweaker and would like to swap one box or the other just for excitement. So a complete music system at this price, is only for the well heeled noobs I would guess.

I guess we can bury this thread now:)

I've lost interest myself, as there would be no box swapping excitement left :(

I just found some line magnetic LM 503pa mono blocks on sale :)

So will start a seperate thread for these, as there are no official reviews on the net so far :(

It sounds too cheap for them? Where were they coming from? 

Just now, radiant red said:

It sounds too cheap for them? Where were they coming from? 

From a forum member in india sir :)

He did start high up, but as the market in india at this price level is really small. He has been dropping his prices . So now at 10k :)

Can I just say....if you love the warmth of your current set up so much, how is it that you're looking for something else...just saying. It seems to me that you're not really happy with what you have. What exactly is it that you're striving for that you don't currently have or is it that your system has something in its sound that you dislike?

• Like 1
Just now, newlash09 said:

From a forum member in india sir :)

He did start high up, but as the market in india at this price level is really small. He has been dropping his prices . So now at 10k :)

I know they deprecate quickly but 10k? I can’t help thinking something isn’t right because at 10k that’s three times less than a demo 8000-2 pair here 

• Upvote 1