Anyone heard a meridian dsp 8000 special edition powered speaker

2 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Can I just say....if you love the warmth of your current set up so much, how is it that you're looking for something else...just saying. It seems to me that you're not really happy with what you have. What exactly is it that you're striving for that you don't currently have or is it that your system has something in its sound that you dislike?

Hello sir :)

Iam actually happy with my system. It is a huge wall of sound with immense scale. And I love it absolutely. But as is human greed, when I saw a 40k GBP speaker system for 10k, the itch started :D

No one will launch a product at 40k, if it probably can't beat a combined electronics,  cabling and speaker setup of 40k. So the temptation of getting it at 10k, got the better of me I guess :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am also saying that, yes.  I had an issue with a Meridian M80 and likewise they told me to go to a dealer (I went to Robert Taussig who only wasted weeks of my time for no benefit). Their kit i

One thing to be considered when buying Meridian equipment is support. I’m not sure if the situation has improved but a while back they stopped supporting customers directly and insisted you went throu

These are my options 🤔 I’ve heard the original 8000’s and was totally underwhelmed. Like Naim and Linn, Meridian never really get into the mainstream public on speakers. Only the die hard fans will be

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I know they deprecate quickly but 10k? I can’t help thinking something isn’t right because at 10k that’s three times less than a demo 8000-2 pair here 

Oops okay sir...maybe I should steer clear then . Thanks for the heads up 

1 minute ago, newlash09 said:

Hello sir :)

Iam actually happy with my system. It is a huge wall of sound with immense scale. And I love it absolutely. But as is human greed, when I saw a 40k GBP speaker system for 10k, the itch started :D

No one will launch a product at 40k, if it probably can't beat a combined electronics,  cabling and speaker setup of 40k. So the temptation of getting it at 10k, got the better of me I guess :)

I see what you are saying. However, if you are happy with your system, I would stay with it. All hifi is a compromise. The secret is knowing which 'faults' you can live with and which ones are unbearable. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, newlash09 said:

Oops okay sir...maybe I should steer clear then . Thanks for the heads up 

Just protecting our members 😊Despite my options. 

when something appears too good to be true, it normally is. 

There was a pair of 8000 SE’s for sale a few months back for 31k at a dealer I use, that might help you with price. They were a year old. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Gizza said:

I see what you are saying. However, if you are happy with your system, I would stay with it. All hifi is a compromise. The secret is knowing which 'faults' you can live with and which ones are unbearable. 

Thanks sir :)

Iam actually building my own frankentein system to my unique musical tastes. Will post a pic once done :D

• Like 1
Just now, newlash09 said:

Thanks sir :)

Iam actually building my own frankentein system to my unique musical tastes. Will post a pic once done :D

And has a equipment stand taller than he is 👍🏻😂

• Haha 1

I listened to the original 8000s a few years ago, with a Wilson Benesch Circle as source at an all-vinyl show and was very pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tuga said:

I listened to the original 8000s a few years ago, with a Wilson Benesch Circle as source at an all-vinyl show and was very pleasantly surprised.

Hellos sir :)

Any elaboration of your listening impressions would be most welcome and of help too :D

It’s a few years since I listened to these speakers but my impression is that the 8000 is best suited to a very large listening room. IMO the 7200 was the sweet point in the range; a great full range speaker but if you are after warm, valve sound I would look elsewhere away from Meridian. They are essentially a very neutral, clean sounding speaker. Think monitor rather than characterful. An audition would be essential to my mind.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

I went to a demo of all the Meridian SE speakers when they were released.  They compared each model with its non SE equivalent.  It was a fairly relaxed event, the different models, 5200, 7200 and 8000, were set up at different parts of the venue and we were allowed to move freely between them with our own music.  There was a night and day difference between the 5200 and 5200SE  speakers and a similar if not greater difference between the 7200 models.  However, I found the 8k models a bit underwhelming compared to the lower 'spec' models, the sweet spot being the 7200SE for me.  They are a warm, but highly detailed speaker, with the SE versions having a tighter, more musical bass, detailed but rich midrange and a clean, smooth and extended top end.

My subjective opinion only, but I eventually ended up with the 5200SE.

Edited by tkimages
  • Upvote 1

A pair of 8000s for £10k is an amazing bargain. And therefore probably too good to be true - caveat emptor!

If you’re interested in active Meridians, though, do consider the 6000s. I always felt that they offered about 75% of the performance of the 8000s, but at 50% of the price when both were new.

• Like 1

It sounds to me that you've got a large amount of money that you are desperate to spend for some reason!

Take it easy, slow down - or you might waste it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Well obviously not the SE mentioned here but this is a whole system including a pair of 8000.2 speakers and seems to be a reasonable price considering the original buying price . What it probably does reflect though is that the Meridians are over priced when new and that the number of people who would consider buying used at this level is quite small and you can if you are hard nosed get a good deal .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174754626446?hash=item28b02ffb8e:g:314AAOSwVnpgYM1z

9 hours ago, tkimages said:

They are a warm, but highly detailed speaker, with the SE versions having a tighter, more musical bass, detailed but rich midrange and a clean, smooth and extended top end.

That marries with my memories of the sound from the pair I heard.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, newlash09 said:

I guess we can bury this thread now:)

I've lost interest myself, as there would be no box swapping excitement left :(

Also, who fixes them when they break?  That’s a massive issue with a large, technological and complex piece of kit.  If they’re a few years old and out of warranty, the answer might not be Meridian. 

• Upvote 1