cd transports

hifinutt

1 hour ago, antonio66 said:

No I'm not Tuga, I went with my brother to listen to cd transports, we took his dCS Rossini and there was definitely a difference

Assuming that there was a difference, do you know it was due to jitter?

It isn't impossible for other causes to affect D/A conversion other than jitter when using S/PDIF, noise can "travel" over copper from transport to DAC.

38 minutes ago, tuga said:

Assuming that there was a difference, do you know it was due to jitter?

It isn't impossible for other causes to affect D/A conversion other than jitter when using S/PDIF, noise can "travel" over copper from transport to DAC.

I do not know why there was a difference, I assume one transport is better than the other.

I am more concerned about the longevity of transports than the sound quality or otherwise. Modern DACS can reclock and reconstruct awful output these days so it is not so much of an issue. The ability of a transport to last multiple years with no skipping and failure to read is what impresses me. Plus being able to read CDs that are not quite perfect, be they scratched or non red book.

My Plextor could read almost anything but it was flimsily made and the plastic draw has snapped. Very few transports are made of solid metal parts, even some of the supposedly more expensive ones. Phillips made lots of different grade CD mechs but hardly any high end players ever used the top grade stuff and to be honest they probably didn't need to. My Micromega needs a new rubber belt every 7 years or so and some clean grease but it still works 25 plus years after I bought it but it is very fussy on CD-Rs and would only play certain brands.

The Naim Uniti 2 with it's expensive slide out drawer, magnetic puck and perceived build quality stopped reading CDs after about 4 years of not particularly heavy use.

These days I am either streaming off hard disk or using the digital out of Fiio DAP playing stuff off Micro SD cards.

I wouldn't know what to buy now if I wanted a new Transport. The people behind the old Phillips stuff have started their own company making parts so maybe someone is doing new machines based off them. 

Look into the CEC TL5 transport Deco Audio or Audiobarn

Strong reccy for an Audiolab 6000CDT here.

Have one hooked up to my Directstream Dac and its in good company, so much so I'll be looking to get a better SPDIF cable, something from Chris Sommovigo' Black Cat stable.

Had the Silverstar MK1 cable, sold it went I went the streaming route.
The Audiolab has made playing CDs a "thing" again, really enjoyable way to revisit old albums.

Regret selling the cable but hey - who'd have thunk CDs would be a thing in my system again? :$

16 minutes ago, Gazjam said:

Strong reccy for an Audiolab 6000CDT here.

Have one hooked up to my Directstream Dac and its in good company, so much so I'll be looking to get a better SPDIF cable, something from Chris Sommovigo' Black Cat stable.

Had the Silverstar MK1 cable, sold it went I went the streaming route.
The Audiolab has made playing CDs a "thing" again, really enjoyable way to revisit old albums.

Regret selling the cable but hey - who'd have thunk CDs would be a thing in my system again? :$

Hi Gaz,

How do you rate the Audiolab compared to your old Oppo - from memory didn't you have that changed to I2s ?

Best,

Joolz

34 minutes ago, joolz said:

Hi Gaz,

How do you rate the Audiolab compared to your old Oppo - from memory didn't you have that changed to I2s ?

Best,

Joolz

Hi Joolz

Yeah,
Did some extensive modding on the Oppo 203, including i2s output to my Dac.
Spent just under a grand on mods, really improved the 203.
My "last" disc spinner...

Audiolabs better for redbook CD.
Far better seperation, bigger soundstage, more presence, natural and engaging...higher end and less "hifi" sounding, if that makes sense?

Main use for the Oppo is as an i2s connected Roon streamer, as well as Movies, CD playback was always secondary.
Had all my albums ripped, and had Quobuz and Tidal subs, so why bother with CDs?

After seeing Paul Rigby's review on his YouTube channel here:

Thought I'd take a punt, didn't really listen to CDs much, but still had a few hundred kicking around.

I've had to invest in another Ikea CD tower, I'm buying up CDs again!
The Audiolab is a future classic imo, punches WAY above it's weight.

How does this sound for instance, CD Transport holding the sound back in a high end system?

• Upvote 1